Protest against proposed indoor use bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
This idea comes from our good friend Tom09 who lives in Germany.

-------------------------
Creative protest action against e-cig prohibition in Germany:

German vapers currently prepare to send their ashtrays, as they are not needed anymore, to NRW’s health minister Barbara Steffens (who had positioned herself at the forefront of the present prohibition campaign).
Cleaned ashtray should be sent in a postpaid parcel with a friendly letter included, and scheduled to arrive at, exactly,
the Ash Wednesday (Feb. 22).

-------------------------

Let's say that a proposed ban against indoor us of e-cigarettes pops up in your community. If each member of the legislative body that will vote on the measure receives a clean ashtray along with a letter from several of their constituents, the message might hit home harder. To say "I stopped smoking" is one thing. To send them your ashtray is a tangible message.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
That is an excellent protest, great thinking Tom. The only thing I'd change is cleaning the ashtray. I know I have one around here somewhere that hadn't been cleaned in ages (used it out in the garage). I'd happily donate that to someone from NJ, the next time Lautenberg proposes another E Cig regulation.

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
This protest idea transpired in German user forums and was brought into life by the initiators of the campaign FB page. I just try to report on the German developments in this ECF thread.
When a concerted ANTZ campaign to outlaw e-cigs recently started Germany, the immediate reaction of many German vapers was complete outrage and verbally highly aggressive. I admit that I felt compelled to physically throw an ashtray against the head of our public health representatives, too (as it would have been unlikely to cause damage to an intelligent brain or to someone honest). I love the present German ash tray campaign, because it turned outrage and aggression into something very positive and productive. We vapers are not to be painted like nasty, aggressive, stupid drug addicts, whatever. We are friendly, intelligent, everyday people, standing our life in the middle of society. Therefore the certainly cleaned, symbolic ashtray, send by post, to set a sign and put emphasis on our argument.
I don't expect the addressesed person, in this case the health minister of NRW (one the German states), to change position. This minister (Barbara Steffens) has already entangled her political future with the extinction of e-cigs. However, the sent ashtray symbol is poised to help our voices noticed, to trigger discussions within the governmental body and in the general public.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
See this is the kind of thing CASAA could do if we had the resources.

Imagine if CASAA could order about 200 ashtrays with the CASAA logo and "Think outside the pack," "I am CASAA," "I don't smoke!" or something like that printed on them and have all but a few delivered to a local member (or members), who could then deliver them to (maybe even respectfully dump them in) the office of the bill sponsor, co-sponsors or other architects of legislation or ordinances. The remaining single ashtrays would be dispersed among local media papers and tv stations, along with an attached press release that the other 200 ashtrays were dumped in so-and-so's office in protest of the e-cigarette legislation/ordinance.

Oh, the cool things we could do with the funding and member involvement!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Yeah, I was picturing something "mini" that wouldn't really make a practical ashtray.

How about this:
CASAA_ashtray.jpg
(Click to enlarge)

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
We can make them out of paper - or fill them with clear resin and they can be paper weights! ;)

Maybe paper coasters printed to just look like an ashtray...bars and restaurants who allow e-cigarettes could buy them (or we can hand them out if we have the funding) and use them to alert people that what they see isn't people ignoring the smoking ban!

VapApe

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2011
Ohio
How about this. CASAA finds a cheap souse of ashtrays.
Members could donate to cover the cost of the ash tray and shipping to were needed.
I can just see it now 100 separate packages arriving at a office over one or two days.
Each containing a ashtray and a personal story of how Ecigs change/saved a life.

( Don't you just love it when a plan comes together :vapor:) J. Hannibal Smith

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
How about this. CASAA finds a cheap souse of ashtrays.
Members could donate to cover the cost of the ash tray and shipping to were needed.
I can just see it now 100 separate packages arriving at a office over one or two days.
Each containing a ashtray and a personal story of how Ecigs change/saved a life.

( Don't you just love it when a plan comes together :vapor:) J. Hannibal Smith

That would be an awesome idea if CASAA had an office and large staff to package, label and ship 100 separate packages every time there is a ban proposed! ;) (Don't forget that the CASAA "staff" - ie. board of directors - is just 10 volunteers scattered all across the US. That's why we need members involved!) Otherwise we'd need a company to drop ship them and that can get pricey and we'd still have to get them all of the names and addresses. :ohmy:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
"Vapor is not smoke" is a perfect slogan for indoor use bans.

But we need something different for the other smoke-free alternatives that are being threatened too, such as raising taxes on smokeless tobacco or trying to ban dissolvables altogether.

Maybe..."Smokefree thanks to switching"?

Other ideas?

Sundrinkr

Alis volat propriis
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2011
Behind the Rainbow
Why don't you throw the idea of coming up with a slogan out into the contest forum? The winner gets a t-shirt printed with the winning slogan. That would be affordable. We've got a lot of interesting and entertaining people here and I know they would come up with some snazzy, short slogans..... jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread