The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Provari 3, bad firmware- anyone have a fix?

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by criddopher, Jul 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. criddopher

criddopher Full Member Verified Member

Dec 12, 2011
    blehgh
    So, as im sure some people know, when you send your provari 3 in for repair they update it to the latest firmware. This firmware is faulty and causes the device to read the battery as dead when it isnt. sometimes it vapes for an hour or two, sometimes 15 minutes. Either way it makes it pretty much unusable and never lasts as long as it should. Has anyone come up with a way to fix this? Its pretty crazy that you send your, what was it 250$? mod in for repair, they ruin it and thats it, im just beat.

I know the provari is old and outdated but its a good mod still, and mostly id like to find a way to fix it for my brother as he absolutely loves the thing. His of course was ruined when he sent it in for repair.

thanks!@

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    bump

• Like Like x 1
  3. DPLongo22

DPLongo22 Variety IS the spice of vaping. Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Have you contacted Bill again to let him now. I've seen many people get mods back from him but none have reported this as an issue. I'd think he can fix it for you.

There's also a thread named Provarinati Saloon (or close to that). That's where you'll find many who have sent mods to Bill too. Maybe one of them will know something.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jwbnyc

jwbnyc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 4, 2014
    I’m running the last firmware and haven’t had this problem.

My one suggestion is to stick a brand new battery in it and see if that fixes the problem.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I'd also clean the battery contacts inside the Provari with isopropal alcohol. Nearly all of my Provari's were extremely sensitive to carbon buildup on the contacts.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. jwbnyc

Supporting member
    Mar 4, 2014
    I figured, if it just got back from Bill, it would be clean, but yeah; giving it a good cleaning never hurts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. ENAUD

ENAUD falling, falling, down the rabbit hole... Verified Member ECF Veteran

How old are your batteries? And what kind are you using?

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. jwbnyc

Supporting member
    Mar 4, 2014
    This sounds like battery sag, doesn’t it?

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. ENAUD

It wouldn't be the first time I've read about someone having difficulties because of using old worn out cells. It is doubtful that Bill " ruined" the P3 by upgrading the mod, and it sounds like the mod was sent in due to the OP or his brother having difficulties with it, or it being " broken". I have a sneaking suspicion that old cells may be the culprit, but that is just a guess...until we hear back from the OP...who knows?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. criddopher

criddopher Full Member Verified Member

Dec 12, 2011
    blehgh
    Of course we've tried new batteries and cleaning it. I can get to a 90 something on the IQ score and it still does it. same with my brothers p3TI. I know ive read a thread on here with other people having this issue, interesting that you guys say otherwise. Thats why I started it assuming people knew about this issue lol. Oh well, we've both moved on to other mods, I was just hoping someone knew a fix, like i said mostly for him since he liked it so much.

The batteries I use are the brown lg batteries. I think my bro uses the green samsung ones. Both flat top. I wonder if we went back to the button top aw that would do the trick Oh yeah and nothing was wrong with mine when i sent it in. I sent it in purely for the upgrade, provari was upgrading them for free, I forget what the deal was but it was supposed to be worth doing, came back and random fake dead battery problem. My brother sent his in to bill for actual repair I forget what.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. ENAUD

Thanks for replying with this info, it is an issue I was unaware of previously. What version software causes the issue,? mine are all at ver 40, even the ones I bought during their closing days fire sales.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Good luck finding new AW batteries anywhere.

The AW plant in China had a flooding incident a few months back which shut down production and it has been closed down almost indefinitely. Previously stocked supplies at all suppliers have been sold out for months.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. DPLongo22

DPLongo22 Variety IS the spice of vaping. Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I don't know if it's relevant, but I definitely find better results (P3 & Classic) from the button-top Orbtronics than either the LG brownies or the pink Samsungs (both flatties).

Better fit, and better performance. It could be just me though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I 100% prefer button tops in all of them. I have been told, over and over, that I can use flat tops in P3s and above, but really I get my best results with AW button tops and I'm not changing that now.

I hope you figure out what is going on with the P3.

Anna

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. williamclarkonet

williamclarkonet Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Iowa United States
    Wow didn't know that thanks for the Info! I hate to see a Legendary company go down like that :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.