Status
Not open for further replies.

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
Yeah mine starts to blink at right around 3.5 as well, but I simply unscrew the battery cap and then screw it back in and it is good for a couple more hours before it starts again. I usually run mine all the way down until it gives me the "I AM TOTALLY DEAD" fast blink before I change the battery out for a fresh one so I know it is charging from dead to full.

Nate aka Darth Vapor

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I hear its not good to run these batteries down to dead.
Yeah mine starts to blink at right around 3.5 as well, but I simply unscrew the battery cap and then screw it back in and it is good for a couple more hours before it starts again. I usually run mine all the way down until it gives me the "I AM TOTALLY DEAD" fast blink before I change the battery out for a fresh one so I know it is charging from dead to full.

Nate aka Darth Vapor

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
I hear its not good to run these batteries down to dead.

Hmmm, if that is the case then I may have to rethink how I go about doing things and go ahead and just change them out as soon as they give me the first blink series. Thank you for the heads up on that.

Nate aka Dart Vapor

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Im trying to find the post where it says not to continue using it when the battery starts flashing. I need to make sure what else was said.
Hmmm, if that is the case then I may have to rethink how I go about doing things and go ahead and just change them out as soon as they give me the first blink series. Thank you for the heads up on that.

Nate aka Dart Vapor

Rottwyler

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2011
San Jose, CA
Mine is usually about 3.4. I usually swap batteries at that point. While you can take batteries down to nothing and charge them up, I personally don't. I use the principles of what I teach about batteries on off-grid solar Photovoltaic systems.

Batteries don't like to get too hot, or too cold. They like to be fed regularly (charged). Like a child... For best battery life, it's best to keep their depth of discharge (DoD) less than 25%. That said, people generally take their DoD much lower- like about 80%-90%...which is ok, it just means the life cycle gets shortened. But for 5-8 bucks for a battery (18650) it's not that detrimental.

So...Less cycles and less DoD lead to longer battery life... you have to decide what works for you...I know more information than you asked for..sorry.

Now, when dealing with an off-grid Solar electric system - batteries are much more expensive so battery banks are taken care of much better..and DoD is only taken down to about 50% max. But we're not talking those so...Vape on and enjoy!!

T

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Where can I get an 18650 for 5-8 bucks?
Mine is usually about 3.4. I usually swap batteries at that point. While you can take batteries down to nothing and charge them up, I personally don't. I use the principles of what I teach about batteries on off-grid solar Photovoltaic systems.

Batteries don't like to get too hot, or too cold. They like to be fed regularly (charged). Like a child... For best battery life, it's best to keep their depth of discharge (DoD) less than 25%. That said, people generally take their DoD much lower- like about 80%-90%...which is ok, it just means the life cycle gets shortened. But for 5-8 bucks for a battery (18650) it's not that detrimental.

So...Less cycles and less DoD lead to longer battery life... you have to decide what works for you...I know more information than you asked for..sorry.

Now, when dealing with an off-grid Solar electric system - batteries are much more expensive so battery banks are taken care of much better..and DoD is only taken down to about 50% max. But we're not talking those so...Vape on and enjoy!!

T

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
Wow, okay in reference to not draining them all the way down before charging, since I read this and implemented the practice of not draining them all the way down I have noticed an increase in how long they last. I actually got about 3 more hours out of the one I charged shortly after the blinking started. I am on the second battery now that I put on the charger when it started blinking and it has been going strong since last night at about 8pm when I put it in the Provari. There just may be something to this charging without draining it completely thing :D

Nate aka Darth Vapor

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
ok I'm going to test this out I have a set of aw 2900s that never dropped lower then 3.8 - 3.7 before they hit the charger I always meter them before I put them on the charger use them on my Reo's because the hit drops on the unregulated devices they always get charged way before they drain and have never drained. I've had them for about 10 months, I have a set of provapes 2500s that I leave on the provari until I get a fast flashing light I have the light turned off so I don't get the low battery warning I'm going to keep using them this way and lets see how long they last if they die in 4 months then I'll know not to drain the next set I buy.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Ricks:
There are 18650 cells cheaper (but not as good) than AW cells, but they cheap ones can be found.

Trust Fire 2400, with the flame wrapper:
TrustFire Protected 3.7V 2400mAh 18650 Lithium Battery (2-pack)
get 4 to average down the shipping (the price shown is a pair).

Hope you aren't buying the BiG ReD Ultrafire 3000mah. If you are I hope you are not paying more than $4 each, shipped.
(it's only good for about 2.5 amps, and it's about 2250mah)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries
Over-discharging Lithium-ion

Li-ion should never be discharged too low, and there are several safeguards to prevent this from happening. The equipment cuts off when the battery discharges to about 3.0V/cell, stopping the current flow. If the discharge continues to about 2.70V/cell or lower, the battery’s protection circuit puts the battery into a sleep mode. This renders the pack unserviceable and a recharge with most chargers is not possible. To prevent a battery from falling asleep, apply a partial charge before a long storage period.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
My provari starts blinking at 3.2 and I change cells as soon as it starts blinking. It is about 95% discharged at this point. My rc plane lipo's I only discharge 80%. They cost me 200 bucks a pack so I care more about them. Yes completely discharging lithium cells is bad for them but 10 bucks a cell is cheap IMO so not too worried about my Provari cells.

Last edited:

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Im still using the original ones I got with my Provari.
Ricks:
There are 18650 cells cheaper (but not as good) than AW cells, but they cheap ones can be found.

Trust Fire 2400, with the flame wrapper:
TrustFire Protected 3.7V 2400mAh 18650 Lithium Battery (2-pack)
get 4 to average down the shipping (the price shown is a pair).

Hope you aren't buying the BiG ReD Ultrafire 3000mah. If you are I hope you are not paying more than $4 each, shipped.
(it's only good for about 2.5 amps, and it's about 2250mah)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread