Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
a provar will not fuction at low ohms any better than a vamo. both have a low resistance cutout around 1.2. Your solution is more wraps or thinner wire.
btw i recently traded my provari on a stainless zmax r2 and i am very happy with the trade. VW is much better, battery life is nearly twice as good, build quality is not so overkill as the provari but still solid feeling. i took 50¢ worth of heat shrink tubing and put it around my zmax and its now shock protected and more grippy. if your happy with your vamo in every other way its not worth spendding the money on a provari just to have the same problem

Yes. I'm surprised no-one else mentioned this. Provape recommend not using low resistance:
Low Resistance - Low resistance atomizers/cartomizers are not the best to use, they will limit the voltage options that you can go up to. Also note that as a atomizer heats up, their resistance drops. When they get dry the resistance also drops. If you have your voltage set higher and the resistance drops, it will cause the E1,E2 errors.
When using a higher resistance atomizer you will be able to dial up the voltage into the higher ranges and have more room for the atomizer resistance to move around without getting into the limits of the device or driving the atomizer into a very low range or short.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
Oh! I forgot to name the source "i bet i could beat my vamo to scrap metal with my provari and still take a vape." Thrasher 2012

I don't know man ... the Vamo is made of pretty thick brass. Usually that type of thickness can withstand even running over it with a vehicle. You'd probably end up jarring the electronics loose on the provari. ;)

bail804

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Advance, NC
I just ordered a VAMO as a back-up for my ProVari. I got my Provari the first month they came out....so that's along time ago. It has worked flawlessly. I did drop it from a high distance once onto a tile floor and it stopped working. That was just one drop of many. I sent it in and a week or so later it was back in my hand working again. I recently decided to send it in to have it upgraded to a V2. So I broke out my "back-ups". I have not used my Ego batteries in for ever and neither would charge up. The point is the Provari is so reliable, I had forgotten the importance of having a back-up...never even crossed my mind that when I pick it up that it may not work...and it is years old. The build quality is second to none. I do look forward to trying out another APV. And I really like the menu system on the VAMO. I decided to go with this unit as they both uses the same batteries. So if I do have a failure with either one of them, I know I will at least have a working battery set. The point is, the Provari maybe a bit outdated with its menu system but I can't imagine you can buy a higher quality product. It's the bar by which all other VV or VW devises are judged.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
Love my Vamo, but I just saw ProVape has lots of blemish Pro Vari's and Mini's posted on their site now that Christmas is past, so if you want one and want to save a bit, now's the time.

The "blems" don't tend to be very "blemmy" either.

I know a lot of folks expected them to have really noticeable marks on them but most couldn't find any flaws at all - gotta love Provape's quality control.

Last edited:

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
Oh yeah. I think most people would be hard pressed to find what ProVape considers a "blemish".

funny enough, my provari came with some what id call blemishes and i paid full price. The provari logo was not consistently colored and the machining on the extension cap was visible on one side and not the other. i guess it just depends on your perspective. its hard to see somethings faults when you place it on such a high and away pedestal

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
Texas
funny enough, my provari came with some what id call blemishes and i paid full price. The provari logo was not consistently colored and the machining on the extension cap was visible on one side and not the other. i guess it just depends on your perspective. its hard to see somethings faults when you place it on such a high and away pedestal

I don't put the ProVari on a pedestal. It is what it is.

I actually prefer my cheapo vamo over the ProVari Mini I shouldn't have bought.

I was just letting others know about the blemished unit available because I know there will be people who want them and are planing to get them anyway.

It might also serve as a heads up to people seeing a flood of "New Never Used" ProVaris listed in the Classifieds in the next couple of weeks. That's what happened when ProVape cleared out the last of the chrome models as blemished.

It sucks that your ProVari wasn't perfect, but it did came with a 1 year warranty, why don't you contact ProVape and get it replaced?

Slurp812

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
Northwest Ohio
So with the Provari, if they say...come out with an upgrade to finally do variable wattage.
How much "typically" would it cost for that upgrade? Maybe $50....$100?

Upgrading to a V2 is as listed below. Right now, its the only upgrade option they have.

Q: Can I upgrade to V2 if I have a V1 device?
A: Yes. We offer a upgrade for $20 each, if you are in the US. This covers the cost to upgrade the device and return shipping.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Coolidge, Arizona, United States
Ive decided to hold off on getting the Provari for the time being.
The Vamo is giving me what I need right now, and I want to see if Provari upgrades to variable wattage.

With the money I had saved for the Provari....I bought another Vamo (stainless steel), and a bunch of supplies.
So I should be good on all of my vape needs for a long time...unless something breaks.

Figure if these Vamo's do not last....a Provari will be my next buy to replace them. But right now...they are pretty solid and no issues.

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Rhode Island
I noticed the OP mentions using vivi nova's. There's a big advantage to VW over VV with the vivi nova.
One of the debates, especially for people who rebuild their vivi heads, is how stable the OHM level is.
Some people have reported some drastic differences in OHM levels on dry heads vs wet heads and on heads measured at rest vs heads under fire. I've never read of these issues with other tanks, but people feel the unstable OHM levels are the cause for people who talk about muted flavor or burnt tastes with the vivi's. Anyway, with VW none of this matters. For example, set it for 8 watts and it will adjust the voltage automatically to keep itself at 8 watts no matter what the OHM rating of the head is. Big advantage!

on3fifth

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2011
Princeton IN
I have a vamo and provari. I do not regret my provari at all as I am starting out using RBAs and feel so much safer with it. My Vamo does not have a shut off (16 sec shut off on the provari) and gives errors when I use my RBA. So my vote it for sure a provari but people have vape budgets and while mine is blown this month if my provari would go out I would most likely get another no questions asked.

I hear Provape is coming out with a V2.5 and will only have a cosmetic change to it. Which IMO looks a bit on the ugly side.
http://escapetheanalog.blogspot.com/2012/12/rumors-confirmed-provape-to-launch-new.html here is a image of it. (rumored)

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
on3fifth:8174316 said:
I have a vamo and provari. I do not regret my provari at all as I am starting out using RBAs and feel so much safer with it. My Vamo does not have a shut off (16 sec shut off on the provari) and gives errors when I use my RBA. So my vote it for sure a provari but people have vape budgets and while mine is blown this month if my provari would go out I would most likely get another no questions asked.

I hear Provape is coming out with a V2.5 and will only have a cosmetic change to it. Which IMO looks a bit on the ugly side.
http://escapetheanalog.blogspot.com/2012/12/rumors-confirmed-provape-to-launch-new.html here is a image of it. (rumored)

My Vamo has a 10 second shut off. If you are getting errors it means your coil is below 1.2 ohms. The vamo won't let you fire anything lower than 1.2, its part of the amp limit protection. If the ohms are changing that means you have a short in your rba.

A shorted rba may work for a second but as the ohms fluctuate it will shut off if the resistance goes below the limit.

This tells me that the Vamo actually constantly checks the resistance, even while firing.

Last edited:

on3fifth

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2011
Princeton IN
My Vamo has a 10 second shut off. If you are getting errors it means your coil is below 1.2 ohms. The vamo won't let you fire anything lower than 1.2, its part of the amp limit protection. If the ohms are changing that means you have a short in your rba.

A shorted rba may work for a second but as the ohms fluctuate it will shut off if the resistance goes below the limit.

This tells me that the Vamo actually constantly checks the resistance, even while firing.

Yeah its odd i did use the same rba on the provari no error and was 2.2 ohms and vaped fine. Throw it back on the vamo no go. Not knocking the vamo it is a great device. Also just tested the vamo with a carto and still no cut off. Starting to wonder if mine is a bit faulty.

on3fifth

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2011
Princeton IN
I've got a Vamo coming and am trying to figure out what the best atomizer/cartomizer is for it. From what I've read so far it looks like I have to go to 2.2 ohm and above? Fairly new to vaping and have never had a mod.

Would this one be ok? https://www.canvape.com/product-p/510sra.htm
Yeah those are fine. You can use a atty/carto that is above 1.2 ohms. The vamo does not allow that low of resistance on it.
I have been using a 2.ohm HH.357 on mine at 9 watts and wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread