Status
Not open for further replies.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
i did manage to break one of my provaris,,it dropped 2 stories and landed on the top cap end,,the battery pushed the entire circuit board up so far i couldn't read the first digit,but it still worked just fine,,had to look at the screen at an angle to see the first digit

the other provari i will most likely keep forever for the simple reason it has been places most people will never even get the chance to see,let alone even stand on .. one eample is a man-made island in the arctic

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
I've had this for about a month now and haven't used much else. I think if I was going to break it, it would have happened by now.

Short of dropping it and breaking the delivery system attached to it, with an 18650 Panasonic in it I have no fear. But then again, I'd only be out $30 if I destroyed it.

And I have some 1000mah eGo Twists if worst came to worst as back-ups, as well as the ProVari Mini, and a couple other mechanical mods.

I've knocked my Vamo over with a real thud a few times, and dropped it. Its still ok. I like mine for out because I can use the short mode at work - its a good size for me at work. I bought a second one too. I have others as well of different sizes so have plenty of back ups.
I'd only be out $30 like you said, if it did break. Seems quite solid though - and I have the chrome. I thought it would be a back up actually but I have favoured it more and more and use it everyday now. I've been pleasantly surpised by it.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
So, why the heck did you throw it out a window??? ;-)

i did manage to break one of my provaris,,it dropped 2 stories and landed on the top cap end,,the battery pushed the entire circuit board up so far i couldn't read the first digit,but it still worked just fine,,had to look at the screen at an angle to see the first digit

the other provari i will most likely keep forever for the simple reason it has been places most people will never even get the chance to see,let alone even stand on .. one eample is a man-made island in the arctic

sacricide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
sacramento
i think if your pressed for money, or arent comfortable spending so high without extra justifications. you should get a vamo

im only a noob here though. but to me...it makes no sense (esp some of the coop prices) to spend so much. this is me though, its just not providing anything extra, outside of durability some extra function stability and warranty perks. if thats not important to you then its not too hard to decide.

JMHO

Buzzsaw46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
SE MN United States
So many times in my life I have spent more by going with the cheaper product first only to have it fail or just not perform up to expectations. This is the false economy of buy cheap buy twice.

I got a lot of use out of my LavaTube v1 dropped it many times and it just kept going. The LavaTube v1.5t did not work out well for me dying the first time it fell out of my shirt pocket on the kitchen floor. I've been trying to be more careful with my ProV but I still forget its in my lap and get up and hear the thump as it hits the floor.

I can say the consistency of the voltage regulation in the ProV puts my old LavaTubes to shame. Knowing that if I do have a problem it can be fixed is really icing on the cake for me. It isn't the be all, end all for everyone and many owners still buy other less expensive mods for situations where you are likely to loose it or abuse it beyond what is normal. I would not bring my ProV fishing for fear of dropping it overboard, and I won't take it four wheelin' since that is how I lost my LT v1. I do take it about everywhere else though.

GrimmTech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
West Virginia
most likely i did, with VW you set the watts and it decides the voltage,can't get the warmth you want,or cool either

I don't quite undertand this. VW vs VV is only the method in which you display what is going on. You do the math either way it all comes out the same. The only fixed known in the equation is the atomizer. Until they come out with a variable resistance coil what you are using at any given point will stay the same short of a malfunction. With a 2ohm coil, the only way to raise the current (amps) is to raise the voltage. So by raising the voltage and upping current, you are raising the wattage. Same in reverse. If you raise the wattage, the only way you can do this is to raise the voltage to push more current. Its only a display setting.

You should be able to adjust the wattage just the same as voltage. 3-6 volts in 0.1v increments gives 30 settings, 3-15watts in 0.5w settings gives you 24 settings. You may not be as precise in VW mode, but it may very well fall to a sweet spot you cant reach with VV that falls at something like 3.83v.

Adjusting either you are still adjusting power output. Maybe your preferred voltage @ 4.2 is something you cannot achieve with VW, it may go from 4.17 right to 4.25. Not sure anyway.

I still cant see why using one or the other would make a dramatic difference.
Take a puff and push the + - buttons till its just right.

My $0.02

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
I don't quite undertand this. VW vs VV is only the method in which you display what is going on. You do the math either way it all comes out the same. The only fixed known in the equation is the atomizer. Until they come out with a variable resistance coil what you are using at any given point will stay the same short of a malfunction. With a 2ohm coil, the only way to raise the current (amps) is to raise the voltage. So by raising the voltage and upping current, you are raising the wattage. Same in reverse. If you raise the wattage, the only way you can do this is to raise the voltage to push more current. Its only a display setting.

You should be able to adjust the wattage just the same as voltage. 3-6 volts in 0.1v increments gives 30 settings, 3-15watts in 0.5w settings gives you 24 settings. You may not be as precise in VW mode, but it may very well fall to a sweet spot you cant reach with VV that falls at something like 3.83v.

Adjusting either you are still adjusting power output. Maybe your preferred voltage @ 4.2 is something you cannot achieve with VW, it may go from 4.17 right to 4.25. Not sure anyway.

My $0.02

using VV i push the watts higher getting more heat [if i wanted] then if i were using VW,,i've already tried the VW scene and it is not all its cracked up to be

Buzzsaw46

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
SE MN United States
using VV i push the watts higher getting more heat [if i wanted] then if i were using VW,,i've already tried the VW scene and it is not all its cracked up to be

I'm not getting it either? Which VW device were you using? Could it have been an issue with the units power delivery or amp limit?

mrfixit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Akron, Ohio
Okay every one loves the provari I agree that it's a solid product with a proven track record. I read a response to your question that I think may be your best bet. A true mechanical mod is great for rebuildables you could get a nice one with a kick and I think you would have no problem with your 28 ga. coils then. I don't get the vamo nay sayers how many people are going to run over their pv with a big truck or drop it from a two story building. I'm sorry if you take a nice pv out and then are careless enough to drop it on the concrete well accidents do happen I suppose. Weather you have a high dollar mod or hybrid or a cheaper or knockoff pv if you use the device correctly and take care of it it will last you a long time. The electronics in our pvs that have them are very similar if not the same in some cases. There is something to be said tho about the set and forget it mode of this new vw deal. I think the vamo may be my next purchase tho I may hold off for just a bit longer make sure I get the latest ans greatest revision. Hopefully our ramblings will help you reach a solid decision for your next pv. :toast:

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
a provar will not fuction at low ohms any better than a vamo. both have a low resistance cutout around 1.2. Your solution is more wraps or thinner wire.
btw i recently traded my provari on a stainless zmax r2 and i am very happy with the trade. VW is much better, battery life is nearly twice as good, build quality is not so overkill as the provari but still solid feeling. i took 50¢ worth of heat shrink tubing and put it around my zmax and its now shock protected and more grippy. if your happy with your vamo in every other way its not worth spendding the money on a provari just to have the same problem

Every complaint you have can be loopholed.

The Provari can't run at low ohms... it's not like it needs to. The benefit of running a Provari with a 1.2ohm coil is pretty negligible when similar performance can be found with the same wattage on the same device with a 2ohm coil.

...and lol at saying your Zmax is shock protected because you put heat shrink tubing on it. I'm rather certain the metal the device is composed of is about 90% more durable than the paper-thin stretchy .... you just put on it.

Chris474

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
NJ
Having the Vamo and Provari (Vamo is just my backup should I need service on my Provari) I think the OPs real question was to create a heavier, more durable coil for his SS mesh wick, keeping the ohms low. Here's what I do. I use a twisted 32g NiChrome coil, wrap it tight around a 3/8 drill bit and mount it in my AGA-T before slipping the wick through it. I keep my coil reading 1.3 and its a perfect vape at 3.8/3.9.

I've tried my 28 kanthal without luck, its just too stiff of a wire, the twisted 32 is malleable but still resistant to being mushed. Something about the twists too, the seem to make my coil itself wick up juice. I still just wash my whole AGA-T under the sink, coil - wick and all. When I'm done I use a dropper to suck out the water, dry burn then refill.

I think the twisted 32 may help the OP.

Here's what it looks like, rigid, workable, low ohm, durable...all of that...

erybarep.jpg

Last edited:

Soundhunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
Love Field

My $0.02

not trying to be a smarta** here as I have two Provaris, a vamo and an Evic... but seeing your statement above..I cant help but wonder..If there really is no difference other than the display (and I tend to agree with you by the way)..then...what is the point of VW..other than marketing and laziness?

Personally, I think the ProV absolutely crushes the other two in every category including vape quality..and i don't ever seem to use VW mode.. but I was just curious about your thoughts regarding the real value of VW in light of your above comments

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
I find the Vamo I've been using "spikes" at a higher voltage from time to time - killed coils on genesis atties when it occurred.
This never happens with the Provari, it'll will last a lot longer than the Vamo too.

The Vamo is great for the money but I have serious reservations as to their longevity.

Yep, this is definitely the case!

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
Vamo has the best designed circuit of any mod so far. Reliable, accurate and easiest to operate. The body is just a basic heavy SS tube. Provary has mediocre circuit but much nice quality body. Fro good looks I go Provary, for good vape I go Vamo. I don't base this on price.

Troll much?

First of all the Provari is a precision made device, all the components are sourced with durability and quality in mind. The Provari electronics are military grade, truthfully.

As I've just said in another thread - I do repairs for a local vendor.
Guess what devices are being sent back broken, en masse?

Vamo's - lots and lots of 'em, all board failures - they're even being sent in batches from China already broken and displaying the "lo" message. Last shipment of Vamo's that my friend received were malfunctioning when they arrived - every single last one of them.

You don't even own a Provari because if you did, you wouldn't be talking such nonsense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread