Provari or Vamo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

locke2121

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2011
Da South!
My own two cents. I was saving up for the Provari when i first saw the Vamo. I fell for it! Cosmetically the Vamo is great...good heft, large screen, easy to access buttons. Standard Vamo gives you several battery options. VV and VW were great....when it works!

And there is the problem. Getting the Vamo to work. While they spent a great deal of time with the electronics and looks, the creators of the Vamo totally dropped the ball on the most important part, the connector! The uber cheap 510 connection is horrible! It relys on a flimsy little silicone ring to keep the center pin from touching the sides. Thats right...the center pin isn't even insulated! I can name the number of times I'd get errors on screen. Even after using o-rings, heat shrink tubing and a lot of cussing! And trust me, I'm not the only one having these problems. Now I'm back to my trusty lavatube waiting on my ZMax to come it.

Bottome line...don't try to save the money...you get what you pay for.

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
I have had my Vamo for a long while and love it. It feels great, it looks nice and it vapes well. I have not had any issues with the threading, but I am careful and I know it's a problem that might show up some day.

Though I will admit I got the Vamo because I wanted to explore VW myself before I spend the money on a Pro. I might still get a pro because it is a SOLID piece of gear and I won't deny that, but for now the Vamo is great for me. It has impressed me greatly.

It's really up to you but I hope this helps.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Could someone tell me that knows for sure.

Does the Vamo have the 'short protection' built into it? If so, could you explain what exactly it does?

yes it does, it means if the atomizer shorts out either from a fault, bad coil, or low resistance the unit will give you a Lo warning and not let you fire it. in theory making sure you do not "short" your battery also and drive the thing into meltdown.

you can take a rebuildable atty, make a coil, fire the vamo then touch the leads with a screwdriver to see how it works. the unit will instantly stop firing.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Troll much?

First of all the Provari is a precision made device, all the components are sourced with durability and quality in mind. The Provari electronics are military grade, truthfully.

As I've just said in another thread - I do repairs for a local vendor.
Guess what devices are being sent back broken, en masse?

Vamo's - lots and lots of 'em, all board failures - they're even being sent in batches from China already broken and displaying the "lo" message. Last shipment of Vamo's that my friend received were malfunctioning when they arrived - every single last one of them.

You don't even own a Provari because if you did, you wouldn't be talking such nonsense.

I'd love to get a Provari one day. I know they're rated #1. However, just can't afford $200.00 (179.00 + 26 for battery extension cap) for ONE single Mod at this point.

This Low OHM reading on the Vamo is a common issue. It's most likely due to the white o-ring under the Center Pin going bad. I do wish Vamo would put a much better o-ring in there, but unfortunately, they have not done so. But here's is a simple little step that everyone is doing to fix the problem. It's easy to do. I did it just to test it out. To know it solved the Low ohm reading, hold the + button for 3 second - without anything on it. It should read 9.9ohm. Next, screw a device on it, and hold + button for 3 seconds... and you'll see the resistance of the device you have screwed on it.

Vamo fix = http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/vamo/375871-vamo-ohm-error-fix.html

Vamo with (Nitecore i2 and 2 18650 Panasonics) + Free Shipping = $51.96
$51.96 Vamo-Vivi Stainless Steel Voltage Adjustable E-Cigarette Battery Compartment Set - with Nitecore I2 US battery charger/charger cable/2*Panasonic CGR18650CH 18650 batteries at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

yes it does, it means if the atomizer shorts out either from a fault, bad coil, or low resistance the unit will give you a Lo warning and not let you fire it. in theory making sure you do not "short" your battery also and drive the thing into meltdown.

you can take a rebuildable atty, make a coil, fire the vamo then touch the leads with a screwdriver to see how it works. the unit will instantly stop firing.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

oatmeal

Jul 29, 2013
Canada
i have both, and yea the vamo hate low resistance coils for sure. personally my vamo sits here and gets used for testing and setup. my provari goes everywhere and is used all the time.

I bought it for the build quality and the service availability, not becuase its supposed to be the be all end all or ohh the mighty provari.

when i set 4 v i get 4 volt until the battery is dead, if i drop it and it breaks i send it in for way less then a new APV (even a vamo) will cost, and when the time comes that some new feature comes out they deem important it's just a quick upgrade away.
i bought it to support an american company that tries to use american suppliers when they can, and so far, any question, no matter how trivial or stupid sounding i get an email by the next day.
that to me is worth the price.
i bet i could beat my vamo to scrap metal with my provari and still take a vape.

its all up to you, do you need it? probably not. so........ do you want it? only you know that answer.

This is the same reason I bought my provari: Build quality; american made; customer service. It depends on where and how you want to spend your money, and there's no definitive "right" or "wrong" answer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread