Provari vape relative to other vv,vw devices that you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracu

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
new jersey
I just got a provari mini and a Vamo and I am trying to come to a conclusion of which one gives me the better vape.

I know the provari is light years ahead of the vamo in durability, reliability, circuitry and precision, but I would like to know with all things being equal which vv or vw device that you are using gives you the best vape and why.

Personally for me The vamo hits just as hard as the provari with a 2ohm dual coil at 4.8 volts up to a certain point, The Vamo starts to die a slow death at a battery voltage of 3.8. After that it is horrible. Although on a fully charged battery I see no difference in the two.

That is my question.. your Provari relative to your other devices?

dracu

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
new jersey
Thank you guys for the insightful info...I preety much answered my own question...The Vamo cost 40 dollars because that is all it worth! More vaping between the two reall has shown me how both the provari and the Vamo are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

The Vamo is a total nightmare and I would not recommend this device to anyone...I think you are better off smoking than using this device. That is my humble opinion.

toddrhodes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2012
United States
My Vamo was just a two day old twinkle in my eye when one of the buttons (unfortunately the Up button) lost its tactile feel and can be pressed on accident very easily. That's why I bought the ProVari. It won't do that to me, I am certain. The Vamo will make a fine backup's backup, but that's all it will be going forward. I did like it as much or moreso than the MVP V2 despite the fact that the MVP gives a "smoother" firing, aka no rattlesnake. I liked the 5-15W adjustment. Actually vaped at 14W on my Kayfun 2.2 ohm microcoil/cotton setup for the first time. That was incredible. Just got the ProVari today and so far I'm really enjoying it. Is it a whole 'nother world? No, not really. But it is consistent, Vaped from 4.2V to 3.8V so far and no change whatsoever in the experience. I may be imagining things but at a mere 4V I felt like I was getting more vapor out of my KFL clone (same setup as described above). I'll keep my eyes open and likely pick up a full size PV2.5 as a spare and sell off everything else except for an EGO battery for a portable backup.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Once I got my standard Provari, I pretty much put my two mech mods into storage. Although I loved the vape experience with the Provari, I still wanted something shorter/lighter for while driving and for out of the house.

I strongly considered purchasing a Rider Robust, a 14500 VV mod, but reviews were poor because of the small battery not being consistant for variable voltage and having dismal battery life.

I first tried a Smoktech VV Gripper. Although the form factor was ideal for what I was looking for, the body construction was obviously on the cheap side and the vape with this was hotter and harsher than the Provari at the same voltage settings. I was forced to set it 1 volt less than the Provari would use. After a few weeks the entire front button panel and LED screen fell inside of the mod. It was still under an 8 week warranty so it went back to the vendor for exchange for a new one.

Then I purchased a Segelei/Ovale v8 VV mod. A better constructed mod by comparison to the Gripper, but with a terrible battery compartment for the two 18350 batteries, each battery exchange was a struggle. Although the vape was satisfactory, it still wasn't as "smooth" as the Provari, and I found myself grabbing the Provari when leaving the house. This experiment was not working...my Provari had spoiled me.

For my 1 year vape anniversary off cigarettes, I awarded myself with a Mini Provari. This was exactly what I was looking for. A vape experience like my larger Provari but in a more managable size for out of the house.

The Mini Provari has become my most used mod. I finally got my college age son to try vaping and he has currently taken over the standard size Provari, leaving me with the Mini.

It's difficult to explain the vape exerience with a Provari compared to other mods. It feels better in the hand compared to all of my other mods - nice solid heft with an obvious feel of quality. The perfect diameter for my hand and a natural button placement. The vape is somehow "smoother". It's consistant and dependable throughout the battery's life. I've read that this is due to the 800 hz PWM, where most of the other VV mods use a lower 33.3 hz PWM signal.

A few months ago I won a free MVPv1 in a B&M raffle. I was surprised with the same smooth vape that the MVP has, and wondered how & why? Then a thread on ECF stated that the Innokin iTaste MVP and V3 both use a similar PWM as the Provari and the DNA mods use. Question answered.

The MVP has been out on loan to a close friend to try vaping, with the agreement that if it doesn't work out I get the MVP back. It seems my friend is not using it much, so I will soon get it returned to me. I do miss it.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/variable-voltage-apv-discussion/488840-rattlesnake-effect-why-cheapo-vv-exception-itaste-mvp-dont-vape-same-provari-dna20d.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provari/381232-provari-oscope-vs-vamo.html

Last edited:

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
What Bad was saying about the way the ProVari handles PWM and the way a Vamo (and a LOT of other mods) handle PWM is the reason there is such a huge difference.

The Provari on an oscope vs Vamo thread doesn't really do the ProVari justice... It does, and it doesn't... On that old school Tektronics oscope from the 1960's, you can't tell how far he's magnified the signal of the ProVari... He's probably looking at milliseconds of data. And has the amplitude cut down in order to show the wave form. What you would see if you had the settings EXACTLY the same is, the Vamo cutting on and off 33 times per second... 0 volts, then 6 volts... The ProVari would be a nice, straight, solid line at precisely the voltage you have it set to. You have to zoom WAY in to see it pulsing... It never pulses above the set voltage, and it never drops to zero. It's just a little wiggle.

I'd say the easiest way to see this for yourself is to use a crappy multimeter... Any old job from Wal Mart will do just fine. Set up your leads to read the DC voltage from the 510 connecter and fire the device... Do that with the Vamo and you will never see a reading, it will jump all over the place unless you're firing it at 6V... On a ProVari, when you fire it, that cheap crappy multimeter can read it without issues, right where you have it set to. 4V, 3.5V, 4.4V, it doesn't matter... It fires straight and true, and because the PWM is so superior to the Chinese mods and so closely mimics a flat DC output, the meter can't tell the difference...

The ProVari pre-dates the current PBusardo reviews since he got his new meter, but I'd bet if someone asked him nice enough he would throw up a video of him conducting the electrical tests he does now with his oscope on a ProVari, complete with a video depiction of the output of a ProVari compared to the output of a (Name your 33.3Hz Mod here)

If I had the cash to drop on an oscope, I would do it myself... But those things are kinda pricey :)

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
So, in order to amuse myself, I just conducted my proposed test using a cheap Wal Mart multimeter...

For every setting from 2.9V to 6V, the ProVari is accurate to +/- .01V. In most cases it was spot on...

My cheap little meter can lock on to the output of my Lavatube 2.5 (uses same chip as the Vamo), but because it's using wild PWM and Vrms the measurements are way off, and you need an oscope to really see what the thing is doing. As an example of how off it is, with a setting of 4.9V on the Lavatube in Vrms, the meter measures 3.87V. To be fair, I set the Lavatube to fire in Vavg at 4.9V, and the output on the meter was 4.96V. Not nearly as accurate as the ProVari, but we don't use them in Vavg, so that's not a valid reading anyway. Only with an oscope can you really see the difference between them and get a sense of why the 33.3Hz chip is just not in the same league with a ProVari at all...

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
I jumped straight from eGo Twists to a Provari Mini. So I can't really make a comparison.

I PIFed the Twists to a friend.

Then bought another mini.

They are all I have. I don't foresee me getting anything else. (Though I do kinda want to test a REO )

Tapatalking on iPhone.
Join the CASAA.
Protect your Vaping Rights!

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Thank you guys for the insightful info...I preety much answered my own question...The Vamo cost 40 dollars because that is all it worth! More vaping between the two reall has shown me how both the provari and the Vamo are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

The Vamo is a total nightmare and I would not recommend this device to anyone...I think you are better off smoking than using this device. That is my humble opinion.

Six hours on the Vamo and you see it clearly. Lumen Sees Totus

You are a pretty fast learner! I had to use my Vamo for three months before I wised up. You are absolutely right about the voltage drop issue as the battery wanes, BTW. The threading sucks, the button action is cheap, the ohm checker erratic. You can see why it only costs 20% of that work of art that is your other mod, eh?

Welcome to the ProVari sub-forum.

dracu

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
new jersey
Six hours on the Vamo and you see it clearly. Lumen Sees Totus

You are a pretty fast learner! I had to use my Vamo for three months before I wised up. You are absolutely right about the voltage drop issue as the battery wanes, BTW. The threading sucks, the button action is cheap, the ohm checker erratic. You can see why it only costs 20% of that work of art that is your other mod, eh?

Welcome to the ProVari sub-forum.

I wish I could put this on classifieds but it is the only pv I have besides the provari...I am also upset because I purchased 2 18350s and 2 18650s 70 dollars down the drain as far I am concerned...I need to get another mini.

How good is the vape on these dna20s...I watched the phil busardo video and the precision was not as good as the provari. I guess why look anyplace else when you already have the best.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
The DNA mods do have a greater power range than the ProVari. They permit sub-ohm vaping if you like that sort of thing.

But, I suggest you back up your ProVari with another ProVari. That is what I do.

IMAG0742_1_zps44c2afd1.jpg

dracu

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
new jersey
The DNA mods do have a greater power range than the ProVari. They permit sub-ohm vaping if you like that sort of thing.

But, I suggest you back up your ProVari with another ProVari. That is what I do.

IMAG0742_1_zps44c2afd1.jpg

Are those tanks easy to use...I want a tank that I do not have to do anything but fill it up and vape...I do not want to fiddle with coils or anything else just vape...I hate the fact that I have to keep topping off on my cartos.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
{Shrug} I'm vaping a Vamo right now. (A: For variety; B: I have a clearo that looks nice on it and cr@ppy on the ProVari; and C: It looked lonely)

The vape isn't as nice as a ProVari, but it's okay for me as a back-up device; although, I still use my Twists too.

You know you're a member of the ProVarinati when...

You're vaping on a Vamo, go to change the power level, and stare at the back of it for a couple of seconds wondering what happened to the LED screen. doink.

dracu

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
new jersey
{Shrug} I'm vaping a Vamo right now. (A: For variety; B: I have a clearo that looks nice on it and cr@ppy on the ProVari; and C: It looked lonely)

The vape isn't as nice as a ProVari, but it's okay for me as a back-up device; although, I still use my Twists too.

You know you're a member of the ProVarinati when...

You're vaping on a Vamo, go to change the power level, and stare at the back of it for a couple of seconds wondering what happened to the LED screen. doink.

I am having nothing but problems with this device...I put it away and hopefully will never have to use it. I paid just as much for the batteries and cannot use them on the provari...I was so convinced that it was good for the money based on all the info but I was way off on that opinion.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
I am having nothing but problems with this device...I put it away and hopefully will never have to use it. I paid just as much for the batteries and cannot use them on the provari...I was so convinced that it was good for the money based on all the info but I was way off on that opinion.

That's a drag. I got the Vamo after I already had a ProVari, so I haven't used it very much. I also didn't have high expectations.

I'll have to read your thread more closely, I just skimmed it; I have a mini and use the Vamo in short mode most of the time, so they take the same batteries.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Why is the reo so good...never had one?

The Reo is a bottom-feeder, which is a completely different design than a ProVari. Many people consider it to be the ProVari of bottom-feeders due to its durability, performance and the wonderful support of Reomods (Rob) and the Reonauts sub-forum.

A bottom-feeder is a very simple device. It's a box mod with a little bottle of juice inside. You squeeze the bottle (called "squonking") and the juice goes up a tube and feeds into the bottom of an attached atty. It is the equivalent of dripping when it comes to flavor, since it is essentially dripping upside down. Since the systems are so different, the Reo complements the ProVari very nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread