Provari vs eGo Twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Same here lol. Was at a friends BBQ today and people saw my chrome proV 2 and were like "why did you bring your electric tooth brush??" then a very crude but funny friend was like "that ain't his tooth brush...it's his wife's 'ladies toy'" was funny. But then I explained what it was and they all were like ".........um.......expensive......Cadillac of electronic cigarettes.....yeah good luck with that. "

Tell them it doubles as an electronic Men in Black memory eraser.

mib-memory-eraser.jpg

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Cozz, I've watched just about every review you've done on YouTube (that I've found) and enjoyed them all.

I haven't ordered a Twist, although I looked hard at it before ordering a Provari. I vaped an eGo for about two years before deciding I wanted variable voltage. I ordered a plastic box VV mod that used two 14500 batteries just to try VV and see how I liked it. I just about vaped myself silly the first day, inhaling and exhaling huge clouds of vapor like I've never seen before. After a while, I got into dizzy nic overload and had to back off!

The box mod convinced me that I needed VV. I studied all the options, watched YouTube videos, read reviews, and searched ECF for user comments on all my short list mods. It finally hit me that I could get a Provari for about $160, which was about 4 cartons of cigs, and jumped. I added the batteries, an 18650 extension cap, and the second year warranty. The price jumped up to about $220 with shipping for the satin Provari.

When it came in, I was convinced I made the right choice. Any decent VV mod that can provide constant voltage and current load for dual coils will give you a good vape. The Provari isn't much different. It's just built like a tank and the electronics are well designed and accurate. I won't spend any more for two years, even if it breaks, except to ship it one way to Provape for repair if it malfunctions. When an electronics upgrade hits, they will upgrade mine cheaply. V1 users are getting upgraded to V2 now for about $25.

The more I spend, the more I want a U.S. address when I need repair assistance.

Thanks Dave,

Your name is one of my touchstones on ECF. I've read most of your posts and have followed your journey as well.

I like your views.

One thing I was going to mention, based on reading your stuff, is getting a Kick as a backup for one of your old mods. Might be an option. It's a great little device :)

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
I don't know.
200$ for the provari
The twist cost 22$

Buying a new twist every 6 months it would take ... 5 years to reach the provari initial cost plus battery replacements.

i haven't found any bad review for the ego twist neither. So, that's your call.

The twist wont show you battery % left. Won't show your ohm rating of your feeder. It won't go above 4.8v. And the truth is once you hold and use a provari....it becomes clear. Twist is a nice good solid back up IMO.

Ymmv of course.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
The Provari is American made and very nice, I'm sure. And obviously there are people who don't care about terrible UI design, but…people still go to university and restaurant websites that don't follow guidelines posted 15 years ago, so that's not new either.

But are you really saying that 2 of the dozen or so features you can find on a $15 multimeter is a reason to buy a Provari over a Twist?

Before anyone snipes me, I'm not suggesting carrying a multimeter as an alternative…I'm just saying that they in no way make up for the value difference.

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
The Provari is American made and very nice, I'm sure. And obviously there are people who don't care about terrible UI design, but…people still go to university and restaurant websites that don't follow guidelines posted 15 years ago, so that's not new either.

But are you really saying that 2 of the dozen or so features you can find on a $15 multimeter is a reason to buy a Provari over a Twist?

Before anyone snipes me, I'm not suggesting carrying a multimeter as an alternative…I'm just saying that they in no way make up for the value difference.

What's your thought on a GG vs a kgo? They do the same thing, right?

We should for sure keep build quality and style out of this and stick with your one button UI focus. Not much else can matter it seems.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR

You have a point if that was the only real "better value" of having a ProV. How about battery life just to name one more.

Panasonic NCR18650 Protected 2900mAh Button Top

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Those points are both totally valid. But, FTR, neither a kGo nor a GG really appeal to me. The kGo can't take a kick and the GG stuff just isn't my style.

Function doesn't have to follow form, though. I think they should work together. Others can obviously choose different priorities.

I see the Provari's interface like the BMW iDrive system. Some people really wanted the 7-series when it came out…………style, status, reliability, craftsmanship, whatever………me……I took one look at that thing and couldn't understand how anyone would ever put up with it and basically decided that if things like that took over……that there would come a time in my life when I'd just never buy a new car.

BMW eventually addressed some of the issues, but for a long time people talked about it like you talk about your Provaris: "I got used to it after an hour;" "it's really intuitive after you spend some time with it"; etc..

I just think that some things should be more hands on than that, and no amount of style, craftsmanship, features, durability, longevity, or anything else will make up for hating using the thing.

Monoxxide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Belgium
Twist is a very nice product, lets start with that line so hope i dont sound as a fanboy lol, its the thing i would recomend to any new vaper at the moment for the price. My journey (not that long ago yet) trough vaping world started off with a ego T and ego C, from there i went to a provari with cartos/tanks, from there i went to rebuildables, from there i went to a 3.7V mod. Stil use my provari on a dayly base and it comes in so handy when setting my RBA's up, if it ever breaks i would instant order a new one.

Last edited:

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
Twist is a very nice product, lets start with that line so hope i dont sound as a fanboy lol, its the thing i would recomend to any new vaper at the moment for the price....if it ever breaks i would instant order a new one.

I thought that about the twist until it broke a couple weeks after I got it (my own fault), and now I'm finally joining the box mod community :)

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
Those points are both totally valid. But, FTR, neither a kGo nor a GG really appeal to me. The kGo can't take a kick and the GG stuff just isn't my style.

Function doesn't have to follow form, though. I think they should work together. Others can obviously choose different priorities.

I see the Provari's interface like the BMW iDrive system. Some people really wanted the 7-series when it came out…………style, status, reliability, craftsmanship, whatever………me……I took one look at that thing and couldn't understand how anyone would ever put up with it and basically decided that if things like that took over……that there would come a time in my life when I'd just never buy a new car.

BMW eventually addressed some of the issues, but for a long time people talked about it like you talk about your Provaris: "I got used to it after an hour;" "it's really intuitive after you spend some time with it"; etc..

I just think that some things should be more hands on than that, and no amount of style, craftsmanship, features, durability, longevity, or anything else will make up for hating using the thing.

I learned the menu in about 20 seconds. Watch a few videos and you know it before you get it.

American made IMO is great as its my home.

The feel of it and build quality is second to none.

The battery is removable unlike the twist. Makes for good batt back up instead of having 2-3 twists.

Carrying a multimeter is stupid. I can check on the fly without any issues. The meter is a big mess of crap on the go.

IMO you can't compare twist to provari. Provari is a much better and more advanced unit. Everything it does and has warrants the price. I got mine for 140$ from provape. That's not much higher than a LT or something similar that is closer to the provari than the twist.

One button menu is the only thing you are saying that I can understand why some people don't like it, but the bottom line is it is a better device than the twist.

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Ive been using a jazzed up Chrome Lava Tube for a while now. Going from that to the $140 Chrome ProV today has put me in vape bliss. Not really sure how I could have ever lived without it. My DID is hitting harder then ever and I hold real quality in my hands. Never had a misfire like with the Lambo every 15 pushes or so. Its also a lot smaller and the look is amazing. Wont go back if I was paid to.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I learned the menu in about 20 seconds. Watch a few videos and you know it before you get it.

Don't bother trying to change his mind. It's not gonna happen. It's on par with people still using Windows XP, because Vista and Windows 7 changed how things are done. (BTW, Windows 8 totally rocks...) Some people just aren't willing to learn a new way to do things.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Don't bother trying to change his mind. It's not gonna happen. It's on par with people still using Windows XP, because Vista and Windows 7 changed how things are done. (BTW, Windows 8 totally rocks...) Some people just aren't willing to learn a new way to do things.

No, it's because I wasn't a vaper when the Provari was new and compared to the buzz pro, darwin, and twist, I find the interface a step backwards. But I think it's telling that you're apparently a PC user. Windows 8 is still slower to use than OS X or Linux were years ago.

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
No, it's because I wasn't a vaper when the Provari was new and compared to the buzz pro, darwin, and twist, I find the interface a step backwards. But I think it's telling that you're apparently a PC user. Windows 8 is still slower to use than OS X or Linux were years ago.

Wait! You are a mac user? And a one button interface is not what you want? That's silly ;)

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
You've obviously never used a Mac.

Their laptops had that flaw (a 1-button track pad) for a while, but it was one of reach, not one of capabilities: you've been able to use keyboard modifiers (command, alt, control, etc.) with clicking for 20+ years and could use as many mouse buttons as your mouse physically had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread