The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Provari vs Lava Tube

Discussion in 'ProVari' started by Maka, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Maka

Maka Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2012
    High on Vaping
    Ok, so what is the difference bewteen the Provari vs Lava Tube?

The price, yes
    The weight?
    How it works?
    How long it will last?
    Anything else?

2. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I only have the Provari, so I'll answer what I can on it.

Price:

Provari - $159, bare bones with 1 yr warranty, option for 1 yr additional

Lava Tube - depends on the manufacturer and distributor as there are a few knockoffs of this.

Weight:

Provari - 4 oz according to PBsuardo's review

Lava Tube - ?

How it Works:

ProVari - uses AccuSet™ technology; PWM (pulse-width modulation) boost circuit that uses a built-in dynamic self-calibration algorithm micropressor that keeps the output voltage accurate to 1% or better over the life of the product. The ProVari will constantly monitor and adjust itself to ensure you always get accurate voltage settings. In effect, what you set, you get, from the start of a battery to the end.

Uses a single button to fire the device and work the menu system (5 clicks). Took me 10 minutes of playing with the menu to master it. Power up, power down, battery check, ohm check. Button begins blinking when battery needs replaced soon.

Lava Tube - ? Three buttons.

How long will it last:

Provari - Because of the build and materials used, and the fact that Provape will service the Provari after warranty, I expect mine to last years.

Lava Tube - can't say, but the build and materials used in the LT are no comparison to the Provari's. Additionally, customer support for the LT is limited by the warranty from the vendor. After warranty expiration, I don't believe a broken LT will be repaired, only replaced by the owner. Consider this a disposable device. I'll say the LT will likely last months.

Anything else?

With the Provari, you will get a time-tested APV known to be the standard in its class since it arrived. Every new APV gets compared to the Provari, and they all fail in some category. Provape has historically shown to update the Provari when the need arose for a minimal fee. Customer service is excellent. You actually get what you pay for, IMHO.

There is certainly a place for the Lava Tube. It's easier to justify its cheaper cost as long as you know what you are and are not getting with one. It is a satisfactory inexpensive variable voltage APV. I just wish they made them better to last and had better customer service.

3. Maka

Sep 19, 2012
    High on Vaping
    Thanks for that mate.
    I just found a video review I will watch later:

4. bubbadreier

bubbadreier Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 14, 2012
    oklahoma
    I have both and while I would like to go over all the points I am short on time. (The wife and I have lunch plans)

When I first got the lavatube it was heavy and felt solid, until I picked up a Provari. That thing is solid as a rock but not too heavy!

The lavatube is actually a great APV and it produces some great hits, but the provari produces those same great hits time after time. It is just so much more consistent than the lavatube.

Bottom line is the lavatube is a great device to own if it is not possible for you to get a provari yet. It will do what you ask of it most of the time. But as Baditude said, consider it a disposable device. If it breaks then you are on your own for fixing it unless you are within the few months of your warranty you got from the vendor. Even if you are within warranty they will just send you a new one since they usually don't fix them either.

Hope this helps!

5. haiqu
    This message by haiqu has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Oct 27, 2012, Reason: Admitted posting just to be rude - TOS.
    Oct 27, 2012
  6. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
  7. Bronze

Bronze ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    Check out this vid for LT info. Some comaprisons to the Provari too. I own a Young June LT. Never owned a Provari. The LT costs half or less than a Provari. I've had zero problems with my LT and it is consistent. Your call. If you think you get $100 more value from a Provari...go for it. I didn't see it myself. But that's just me.

A PBusardo Review - In Depth Chrome Lava Tube Comparison - YouTube

EDIT: Know that there are significant differences between and L-Rider LT and a Young June LT.

8. asnider123

asnider123 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Not sure I agree, but the Urban Dictionary defines it as

whank

an adjective. used to help describe an action or noun. used in the bay area, California.

lame, not cool, sucks, stupid, wack, waste of time, not worth it, bad, horrible.

Is this what you meant?

9. recidivus

recidivus Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 20, 2012
    Canada
    Think it's referencing people who extol the virtues of the provari above all other devices...

Baditude answered the questions quite well, I can't add much else. I have both, and they both do what they're supposed to. Battery goes in a tube, electricity goes to the feed and vapour is made. I've had issues with my LT centre pin being displaced, I believe the Young Jun uses a floating pin which makes this a non-issue.

The quality of build is incomparable between the two, in my opinion, but the end result is vapour and you get it with both.

10. kiwivap

kiwivap Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2012
    New Zealand
    I know what it means. He's just being rude.

11. haiqu
    This message by haiqu has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Oct 27, 2012, Reason: Admitted posting just to be rude - TOS.
    Oct 27, 2012
  12. Maka

Sep 19, 2012
    High on Vaping
    I was thinking of just getting a Young June as a back up incase my L-Rider went wrong.

With a Provari do the Vivi Novas fit straight on without any adaptors?

13. Bronze

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    Used to be me that always got rung up. Now it's anyone close to my posts. I must be improving. :D

14. bubbadreier

bubbadreier Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 14, 2012
    oklahoma
    Haha that's funny! Nice improvement :D

Yes the vivi novas fit no problem, and no adapter needed!

15. Underwhelmed

Underwhelmed Account closed on request ECF Veteran

May 22, 2012
    Texas
    I decided I wanted something nicer than my eGo Twists that I could rely on and be able to replace the batteries in.

For several months I looked at all the "lava tubes" on the market. The Apollo looked great, but the one I wanted (chrome) wasn't in stock. The Lambo got mixed reviews, then an upgrade to Lambo 4. The Young June had it's positive points, but had a floating center pin, but still had the lower amp switch and no onboard ohm reading (at the time, I don't know the specs now.) From what I have read here, all of the models have buttons that rattle.

I finally got tired of trying to decide which LT clone would be "good enough" and just went ahead and bought a ProVari Mini since it is already doing what all the clone makers would love to have their devices doing, but it is built to last and comes with a 1 year warranty with the option to buy an extended years coverage.

To me it is still the standard the others haven't quite met yet.

My only regret in my purchase is that I didn't go ahead and get the full sized model. They are the same price, as long as you get the basic model, but it had a longer fulfillment date on the ProVape site, so I got the Mini and an extension.

16. CountSmackula

CountSmackula Genisis Junkie Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2012
    Tabasco LAnd
    Your journey sounds just like mine, except for the chrome... and I got a full size instead of the mini.

17. Bronze

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    Underwhelmed, my Young June LT has a fixed bat post (not a floating pin). It also has the resisitance readout. Don't know what an amp switch is. It is also pulse modulation which I saw another poster somewhere say it is not. Just have to correct the record. Last thing, you and others are comparing a BMW to a Toyota Corolla. It must be kept in mind that there is a $100 difference between a LT and a Provari. The question should be...does one get $100 more value from a Provari than a Lavatube?

18. Maka

Sep 19, 2012
    High on Vaping
    What would your answer be mate?

19. Bronze

Aug 19, 2012
    The Tar Heel State
    My answer was no. But my reasons may be different than yours. I'm looking to save money of late. If I had money to pee away I might have given Provari more of a look. But the Young June Lavatube gave me a nice mod that has many of the same features as the Provari and the kit cost me only $88 that included the mod, two bats, a charger, and two attys. I've been using it for a few weeks now and it has been working perfectly with no problems. YMMV.

20. bsidb

bsidb Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 10, 2012
    Leroy,NY
    I peed away my money on a Pro v knowing it will work next week, that it is backed by an American company, a weeks mail away for repairs, that can be resold for near what I paid, jmo, I started vv with a mod box then a Lavatube and it was fine for what it was, it is now a back up, this habbit,hobby is ever evolving, everyone loves what they got at the moment

21. Zag

Zag Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 3, 2011
    Socal
    I have been using a lavatube for the last 8 months and generally been happy with it. During that time the tube has been dropped several times. Well, it started to show the wear and not been hitting well.
    Yesterday I dropped the bones on a new provari. Wow, really happy I did. Feels solid, hits solid. Wish I started with the provari.
    So, IMHO if you only have a lavatube you will probably be satisfied.

22. trepalium

trepalium I'm a Panda Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Lava tube is a great option to get started. I went through two lavatube a from two different sites. Both had button issues after 5-6 months. I finally bit the bullet and got my provari. Went with the base model and the quality is incomparable. It's truly a more solid product. I believe worth the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.