ProVari Went Down the Garbage Disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenous

Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
So I've had my ProVari for all of a single week and I have been loving it! I went outside to enjoy the beautiful morning and have a vape and when I went to come back inside and my dog quickly ran out the door. Attempting to chase him down, I dropped my ProVari on my porch and broke my Vivi Nova. juice went everywhere...

After finally getting the dog back inside, I went to wipe down my ProVari which had juice all over the outside of it. I pulled the battery and was wiping it down with a paper towel over our sink when it slipped right out of my hands and went down the garbage disposal (which was not running). Ugh. I quickly reached in and pulled it out but there was water sitting in the garbage disposal and the ProVari had to be submerged for a second or two.

I've dried it out as best as I could with a paper towel and it is currently sitting on my counter top to air out. I'm going to let it completely air out for a day or so before I try to fire it back up. I've heard that the ProVari can take a beating and I'm hoping this beast can handle the drop (on my deck) and being briefly submerged in water in my garbage disposal! Wish me luck -- I'll post back with the results once it dries out after day.

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
I second the Isopropyl method (90+% if you have it). It chases the water out of all the nooks & crannies, and removes any residue from the water spots. Pour 1.5-2 oz of Iso in the body (minus battery), re-cap, shake for 15-30 sec, drain. Let dry upright ~18-24 hrs. Et voilà!

I never had any lucky w/ the rice method... but that's just me.

From my experiences my Provari will probably outlast me, I best three hell out of mine and it's still almost mint.

I would suggest taking isopropyl alcohol and pouring it through your provari. Water can leave deposits when it evaporates, ISO won't.

Neya

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
MA
Depends on the power/batteries. Dont turn it on (take batteries out) until it's dry.

Should be able to save it as long as the internal board doesnt short.

My iphone 3g took an ocean bath during a rogue wave. The thing was pouring out saltwater.
I turned it off immediately since the battery could not be pulled and gave it 3 days to dry in rice. It worked fine. I'm sure the salt wouldve eventually ate away at it, but it was fine till I got a 4 when my upgrade came up about a year -year1/2 later?

CDnerds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2012
NJ
So I've had my ProVari for all of a single week and I have been loving it! I went outside to enjoy the beautiful morning and have a vape and when I went to come back inside and my dog quickly ran out the door. Attempting to chase him down, I dropped my ProVari on my porch and broke my Vivi Nova. Juice went everywhere...

After finally getting the dog back inside, I went to wipe down my ProVari which had juice all over the outside of it. I pulled the battery and was wiping it down with a paper towel over our sink when it slipped right out of my hands and went down the garbage disposal (which was not running). Ugh. I quickly reached in and pulled it out but there was water sitting in the garbage disposal and the ProVari had to be submerged for a second or two.

I've dried it out as best as I could with a paper towel and it is currently sitting on my counter top to air out. I'm going to let it completely air out for a day or so before I try to fire it back up. I've heard that the ProVari can take a beating and I'm hoping this beast can handle the drop (on my deck) and being briefly submerged in water in my garbage disposal! Wish me luck -- I'll post back with the results once it dries out after day.

Thats like a Horror Tale that vaping parents tell their children.. lol.

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Ravenous, I"m so sorry!

I also thought "I thought crazy stuff like this only happened to me, I'm such a klutz, and so is my dog!"

I gotta tell you, not meaning to laugh at your misfortune, but I could "visualize" this happening, in a You Tube video, the dog running, me chasing it down in my pajamas, then the slippery mishap at the kitchen sink, etc. " Sort of like a Marley & Me story. Too bad there was nobody filming!

Hope to hear good news that your provari is still workin'

Ravenous

Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks everyone for the tips and well wishes.

I gave the ProVari an isopropyl alcohol bath yesterday and let it dry. Today I attached a new Vivi Nova (thankfully I have backups) and it fired right up! :vapor:

There are zero scratches from the fall and it's working like new. Did someone say garbage disposal? :laugh:

The ProVari has already paid for itself thanks to the great build quality!

kalison

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2012
SLC, UT
I would try the Alcohol method if anything.

The rice trick is probably the worst method. With as many notebooks and phones I see everyday full of rice.. I know its not a good method. I will open up these devices and have a ton of rice fall out of them and the copper ICs are already turning green or bluish even after only 10 hours.

Rice will not absorb all of that moisture quick enough. With ICs as tiny as they are these days, copper will start its corrosion process if not not taken care of within the first couple of hours. I know people will fight me on this with the whole "Well my phone worked after I did it" but honestly, corrosion of copper ICs might take a month or two (heck even 6-12 months, if the spill site is insignificant) before actually taking effect... it in no way prevents them from eventually corroding and breaking the device.

I'd say your mile may vary, depending on what and how much of *insert liquid here* is spilled.

Well, I just now noticed the OP's problem was resolved. Nice work!

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Also, just for those who might care, this is the result from a cleaning after four days of use. I usually do it once per 7-10 days, but I did it just now solely for this purpose. The ka-ka builds up quickly.

IMAG0294.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread