ProVarinati Diner & Saloon and Beyond

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
If it wasn't for John Rutsey, none of us would have ever heard of Rush, let alone Neil Peart.

Agreed on the first point but not so sure about the second. Talent like that usually rises into sight.

Emerson, Lake, & Peart? ;)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Agreed on the first point but not so sure about the second. Talent like that usually rises into sight.

Emerson, Lake, & Peart? ;)
Alex n Geddy made up their mind to hire Neil before he finished his audition. The New Guy accepted. The rest is history.

Oh, and they said they didn’t ever want to add a 4th bandmember because when they took a vote on anything there was never a tie in a 3-person band. :)

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Alex n Geddy made up their mind to hire Neil before he finished his audition. The New Guy accepted. The rest is history.

Oh, and they said they didn’t ever want to add a 4th bandmember because when they took a vote on anything there was never a tie in a 3-person band. :)

Didn't Rutsey also have some physical ailments that were going to be tough for him? Arthritis, maybe?

I can't remember what but I thought there was something else at play too, other than just the misfortune of being a drummer born around the same time as Neil Peart.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Diabetes.

Killed him at 55 years of age.

He was also a very good drummer. Not Neal Peart, but very good just the same.

I knew that's how he died but, for some reason, thought there was something else way back then. Of course, my memory of Circus Magazine articles from the early 70s might not be totally on-point. :laugh:

:headbang:

• Agree
Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Didn't Rutsey also have some physical ailments that were going to be tough for him? Arthritis, maybe?

I can't remember what but I thought there was something else at play too, other than just the misfortune of being a drummer born around the same time as Neil Peart.
I believe you're right DP. I think he left the band because it just wasn't a good fit for him. He didn't want to do all that touring but I think he had health issues as well that I believe worsened as he aged.

Users who are viewing this thread