ProVarinati Diner & Saloon and Beyond

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Thanks.
I’m setup to do the juice versus battery test on an 18350 and an 18650.
Just run them and get a feel for what works for you...a lot of times I'll toss the battery on the charge before they hit dead empty, it's easier on the batteries anyways. If I top off the tank, I put in a fresh cell...if I am getting ready to head out, I top the tank and put in a fresh cell. Been doing it this way for so long now I don't even have to think about it.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Found this on a French web site ...

Version history
  • Ver 31 (BETA)
  • Ver 35:
    • Increased output current from 5 amps to 5.5 amps.
    • Power and voltage are displayed together according to the resistance used.
    • Ability to increase or decrease the voltage without having to go in the menus Aup and Adown.
    • Added a function to move faster in the selection menu of voltage or power. Scrolling is accelerated by pressing the switch for more than 2 seconds.
    • Added a "back" button to return to the previous menu.
    • Minor bug fixes in menu navigation.
  • Ver 36:
  • Ver 38:
    • Accepts resistances up to 0.5 ohm.
    • Puff counter
  • Ver 39:
    • Improved battery management
    • Bug fix (loss of vape profiles when removing a battery)
    • Added "On / Off" function for low battery display
  • Ver 40:
    • Bugfix
    • Ability to move manually in the drop-down menus.
  • Ver 41:
    • Minor bug fixes (ProVape did not give more details on this minor update).

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Update ProVari V3 (P3) auf die Firmware 4.1 - egal wo gekauft

^^ found this, maybe someone can run this through a translator??
Google Translated German to English ...

Firmware History:

- P3 Beta Firmware 3.1

- P3 official released firmware 3.5

• Output Limit has been increased from 5 to 5.5 amps

• Volt and watt are immediately visible on the display at the touch of a button.

• Volts and watts can be increased or decreased without leaving the menu. Up and down function.

• Back option inserted in the scroll menu, returns to the previous menu.

• If you change the volts or watts, the scroll speed will increase considerably after 2 seconds of holding the Fire Button.

• Switch the display from the ohm number to the boost factor at the push of a button without having to go to the menu.

- P3 Firmware 3.6

• minor bugs have been fixed.

- P3 Firmware 3.8 (May 2015)

• Sub-Ohm capable to 0.5 ohms

• train counter

• how many cigarettes were not smoked

• how much money you have saved. (Under menu "$" characters, the price per package is required, pressing the fire button will increase the number). Attention the information refers to USD.

- P3 Firmware 3.9 (released 20.01.2015)

• Battery management system improved, bugs removed

• Save profile after changing the battery have been solved.

• Display on / off for low battery status.

- P3 Firmware 4.0 (released 08.07.2016)

• Battery management has been improved, bugs removed

• Setting the scroll menu to Auto or Manuel selectable.

- P3 Firmware 4.1 (released 10.09.2016)

• Boost Info integrated into the main menu.

Last edited:

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I think they're gone for good. I have no first hand information, I'm only going on what I've seen myself and conversatons with respected vendors.

For maybe 6-9 months or so before the flood, there were numerous problems with AW batteries being much shorter or longer than what was previously sold. I got an order of 6 18350 batteries, all of which were too short to be charged and also too short to be recognized in a P3. You'll note that P3 models didn't need the button top in the first place so the button itself should have added even more length to the cell.

My excellent vendor replaced them all, but had to measure all he had in stock to find ones that were long enough to work. Note that I'd been using AW for at least a couple of years. The vendor told me that he was told that batteries didn't have a standard size, and he would get what he would get. While the size part is partially true, up to this point I hadn't ever seen a battery that just wouldn't work due to size.

In addition, that last set I bought performed far below what I'd had before. Within a very few months, they were dying quickly. I only use them in a P3 that is my out-and-about mod so I'd guess an average of maybe 40 or 50 hits per week.

I don't know if AW lost their supplier - a lot of things could have happened. But for me, there was a very clear, significant change.

Shortly thereafter, AW announced a flood at their place of business.

Unfortunate, this leaves me looking for a decent 18490/18500 for my Provaris.

That's a bummer regarding AW...I think I'm set for a couple years right now.

I've spent some time pondering the what ifs I ever cannot get any 18350 cells to power my mini's...I have imagined making a wood battery holder to go on the side of the mini...first I would bore a hole through the wood blank that corresponds with the diameter of the ProVari tube. Next I would make a slice right down the centerline of that hole, this is where the tube would be epoxied to the side piece. The tube could then be cut shorter and a wire soldered to the center pin and feed to the positive side of the battery sled. For the negative lead I would drill and tap a hole into the tube wall, and mechanically attach a brass tab for the negative lead to solder to. The whole thing could be shaped like the radius, but the button position would be on the wide section so the window could be seen. This modification could run 18650 or the new 21000 series batteries as needed. Some day I'm going hack one of my older mini's apart and attempt such a build. Probably this coming winter if not sometime sooner...

:cry:
It's time for me to get 18350 batteries for Minis and 18490/18500s for regulars.
It's been years since I bought batteries !!!

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
I'm still using four XTAR 18350 850mAh Button Top IMR Batteries I picked up a couple of years ago. No problems or issues with them and I've gotten good life from them. I have a couple of AW's too, from before there were any problems but they are rated at 800mAh. Less than the XTAR.

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
:cry:
It's time for me to get 18350 batteries for Minis and 18490/18500s for regulars.
It's been years since I bought batteries !!!

Mooch recently released his latest test results for 18350s and his top ratings went to flat top batteries. He went on to note: "The two button top cells I found and tested, the Imren and MXJO, were pretty terrible performers compared to the three above. If you have to pick one, pick the MXJO and stay under 5A. Preferably under 3A."

I won't quote further as I'm not sure how he looks at linking his output. And sadly, when Mooch was asked about updated 18490/18500 testing, he said he'd only had a couple of requests and that his time would probably be better spent in testing cells that were more widely used.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
You can still find the XTAR button top 18350 IMR batteries if you look around. No idea who makes them for XTAR though. Oh, and I haven't bought any recently either. Don't know if they're still the same as the ones that have served me well. They look and are rated the same is all I can tell.

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
But they don't work with flat tops

Exactly. I included the snippet about the button tops to point out that he wasn't impressed with any of those he could find. I think there was a issue of high internal resistance and lots of sag. So not good news, but at least some news.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
I found a review like Mooch does, for the XTAR 18350 IMR batteries on a flashlight forum but it was from Jan. 2017. Their conclusion was, "This battery looks good enough for a average 18350 cell, but it is not a high current cell." ... and I don't think any 18350's are generally suited for high current anyway. Besides, I never vape high current in 18350 mode. Anyway, I use an XTAR charger and figured I couldn't go wrong with XTAR branded 18350's. I wasn't disappointed. Except well, 18350's don't last as long as 18650's ;) LOL

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Filed under living with nature ...
Earlier last evening I'd found a bird's nest in the sanctuary and was trying to think of somehow to repurpose it ... Mason showed up and quickly stepped in to help with ideas. Good boy buddy. The nest had fallen to the ground on one of Mason's habit trails along a fence line. Surprised he hadn't already found it. Must have just fallen before I picked it up. No birds were harmed. It was an old abandoned nest.

35972487_611352755887314_205772149439332352_n.jpg

35894341_611352779220645_2455738974161862656_n.jpg

THEN ... There is something in the night and Mason wants in on it. A ruckus has been going on for hours ... and still is. Brush so thick I couldn't see what was going on. Just glad there is a fence to keep Mason out of it.

REVEAL: Baby Possum. I can't get to it to relocate it. Brush too thick. Just hope it moves North, East or South and not closer West, the direction Mason is calling from. Shoot. Sugar (my other older dog) could not care less about what the heck is going on with a possum or what Mason is so excited about. May be a long slow moving night. Shoot.

35973624_611610509194872_6828033136236953600_n.jpg

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Found this on a French web site ...

Version history
  • Ver 31 (BETA)
  • Ver 35:
    • Increased output current from 5 amps to 5.5 amps.
    • Power and voltage are displayed together according to the resistance used.
    • Ability to increase or decrease the voltage without having to go in the menus Aup and Adown.
    • Added a function to move faster in the selection menu of voltage or power. Scrolling is accelerated by pressing the switch for more than 2 seconds.
    • Added a "back" button to return to the previous menu.
  • Ver 36:
  • Ver 38:
    • Accepts resistances up to 0.5 ohm.
    • Puff counter
  • Ver 39:
    • Bug fix (loss of vape profiles when removing a battery)
    • Added "On / Off" function for low battery display
  • Ver 40:
    • Bugfix
    • Ability to move manually in the drop-down menus.
  • Ver 41:
    • Minor bug fixes (ProVape did not give more details on this minor update).
Someone should post this info on the OP. @classwife, you listening?

Users who are viewing this thread