The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Dear Guest, 

ECF will be down for an extended period Tuesday 25th January from 6am central / 7am Eastern. 

This is due to a server migration. With any luck we'll by open by lunchtime. Thanks in advance for your patience :)

@low_tar_neil

Dismiss Notice

Proving that Samsung 30Q 4 leg batteries are fake

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Ionori, Oct 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ionori

Ionori Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 26, 2017
    I've received some batteries that were sold as Samsung 30Qs, but their positive contacts have 4 legs. I believe Samsung cells are all supposed to have 3 leg positive contacts, but if I'm going to successfully dispute the order, I need to be able to prove they are not genuine to an arbiter who is likely not going to be a battery expert. Are there any authoritative sources that state genuine Samsung batteries must have a particular type of positive contact, or perhaps I am mistaken in thinking that a 4 leg Samsung 30Q must be fake?

• Like Like x 2
  2. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    My 30Q's have 3 legs on the positive pole cap, FWIW.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Every 18650 Samsung I have ever seen has a three leg top contact along with can codes. Here are the codes for a 30Q.

E302FDF8-0B84-4CE2-95C8-7423E9D3612A.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Ionori

Ionori Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 26, 2017
    Everybody's favorite battery scholar has shared the earlier version of the datasheet with me, so here it is in case anybody else finds themselves in a similar situation.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  5. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    @Ionori, may I ask who the vendor was?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Use the V1.0 datasheet unless you need the metal can codes that are listed in the V0.0 datasheet that @Ionori posted.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Barkuti

Barkuti Super Member ECF Veteran

[​IMG]
    Left side: 2x genuine 30Qs
    Right side: 4x AliExpress fakes from lietokala Faketory Store (pun :p intended)

Cells received on 2018/07/13.
    Obtained ≈2950mAh average capacity with great consistency in a Lii-500 analyzing charger at 700mA/500mA charge/discharge rate NOR test.
    Gave two cells to a friend, they were intended for standard flashlights anyway. With the help of another colleague, precision power supply, multimeter, etc. determined my remaining two fake cells' DC internal resistance at ≈40.8mΩ average, this definitively is quite a bit higher than that of 30Qs, yet low enough to use them safely at 10A continuous I'd say.
    Of course your mileage may vary, take this with a grain of salt and at your own risk, etc. :2c:

Cheers :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. Robin Becker

Robin Becker Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    Wow thanks Barkuti! Heard you can buy fake shrinks for genuine batteries in China, but have never seen such in real life :thumb: Can you pls. make some images showing the plus side and open a thread for that?! I think it is really important to warn people out there

• Like Like x 1
  9. Barkuti

Nice enough thread this one already is, I think. Let me show all of you a few more pictures (sorry if white balance is somewhat warm):

[​IMG]
    2x by the left genuine 30Qs, the others AliFakes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The two above ones for comparison purposes.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Robin Becker

Robin Becker Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    Hi Barkuti,
    Beside of the Plus side you can see those 2 "rings" on the genuine batteries, while the Chinese(?) battery has only one "ring"...that is really impudent!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lanciab

Lanciab Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 19, 2018
    I also bought a set of 4 of these. Less than 7€ postage included for the set. 4 for the price of one.

I use these in a Kanger Nebox at not more than 18 watts in power mode. And they do allow me a full 10ml tank vape without recharge.
    I recharge them with a Lii100 charger at 0,5 amp.

I was aware when I bought these that they sure were fakes, but so far so good i'm happy with them.

Of course i never will use these at high power or in a mech mod.
    It was a try for me, and well, i'm quite happy with these.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Barkuti

Well, actually I see two rings on the “chinese” cells, the one below is wider and is less protruding. Check the leftmost cell:

[​IMG]

I'd been proud of such a deal! Nice one LMAO. ;)
    How about this one:

[​IMG]
    40pcs/lot EAIEP Original 18650 3.7V 2600mAh For batteries rechargeable Battery ICR18650 26F safe batteries Industrial use-in Rechargeable Batteries from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    40-pack with ground shipping for cheap! A little birdie told me those cells are made by BAK, they totally look and behave (2700 - 2800mAh down to 2.8V, ≈35.4Ω measured by me) like some fake 25Rs I bought. In this cylindrical cell product list with basic specs I'd say it matches with model N18650CK (2900mAh, ≤35mΩ). Despite being 2C rated in the datasheet with that DC internal resistance I'm sure they can do 10 - 12A. Just speculation, of course. :blush:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lanciab

Lanciab Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 19, 2018
    Wow ! Might be a great deal.
    But wayyy too much batteries for my needs :)

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.