Status
Not open for further replies.

clavit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2008
EU
I just heard the wierdest thing:
A colleague of mine bought an e-cig about two months ago. Her daughter, who suffers from psoriasis, sneaked a couple of puffs on the e-cig and decided she liked it, and would like to quit smoking. During the following week they more or less shared the e-cig, and guess what: the daughters psoriasis got noticeably better!!
Not believing the connection, and getting a bit possessive, my colleague kept the e-cig for herself. Her daughters psoriasis flared back up.
The daughter has now had her own e-cig for about a week, and her psoriasis has gotten a lot better again :)
She also suffers from leukemia and is now anxiously awaiting her next visit to her doctor, to get a professional opinion (and show off the improved condition of her psoriasis).

Coincidence? Might be, but so far it looks promising, and the daughter is not giving up her e-cig for anything :)

Comments, anyone??

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
interesting. not really familiar with psorisis. is it the type caused by skin-cells gowing faster than old cells are sheded causing the appearence of flaky skin. if it is i wonder what the e-liqiud is doing. is it speeding up the process of sheding cells or impeding the process of growing cells. there is a thread on the us forum where people discussed whether they noticed that pg promoted hair growth. the original poster posted:

I went to get my haircut today and my hairstylist mentioned I had either new hair growth or broken hairs on the top of my head. Basically, she said I have many hairs less than 1 inch long.

So, does anyone know if PG stimulates hair growth or degeneration? Could this be because I have quit normal smoking and now my body can be focused on regeneration in other areas besides the lungs?

The post didnt get much response, though the forum was newish and there was not alot of traffic. our own phylo replied he had also noticed one morning that his receding hairline seemed to be filling in which at the time he put down to not having had his coffee. wonder if he has any more feed-back. anyone else notice hair growth? is PG the snake oil we were never sold?

Last edited:

clavit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2008
EU
Yep DC, thats psoriasis!
I have asked her to get back to me when she has talked it over with her doctor. I'm hoping the doc will accept her e-smoking since it seems to really help her. There is a risk that her doctor won't like the combination leukemia/e-cig!

About hair growth: I haven't seen any difference yet. Then again, i use minoxidil in an effort to keep what i have!

icemanmaz

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2008
U.K. Halifax West Yorkshire
Its a shame it did not do the same for me.
this might of happened with or withought the e-cig.
I have got 2 warts never had them before and I also have IBS witch has been ok for a while but I am well bloated since stopping smoking normal fags (its prob all the food I am eating now) I am eating a lot more the 6 pack has turned into a barrel oh well one thing at once.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
yeah poor girl i must add. quite the double blow. i hope she finds some comfort with the EC. was she a smoker anyway or is she using 0 nic carts? it will be interesting to hear the docs response. i showed one to my gp when i went complaining about a cranky hand, but he didnt care much, just after his easy €80. but her doctor will need to calculate an opinion.

Iceman, it would trouble me if the pg was the cause of the warts. i had at least 30 warts on only my hands when i was younger. they're gone now and have never come back. i attacked the queen wart mercilessly and the rest fled in terror. you could have picked them up easy enough though. im doubting a pg connection. those little guys are right buggers. as for the food, try just cutting down on carbs. a recent study showed that carbs caused the destruction of a chemical in your body that lets you know you are full. the more carbs you eat, the hungrier you will feel over time, even though you dont need to eat.

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
I think we indeed might tend to forget a bit too easily that starting on e-smoking often means stopping on tobacco-smoking (or at least severely diminishing it). And well, stopping on the tobacco can do sooo much...

Always hard, with 2 factors changing at the same time, to be able to tell which of the 2 is causing what...

icemanmaz

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2008
U.K. Halifax West Yorkshire
yeah poor girl i must add. quite the double blow. i hope she finds some comfort with the EC. was she a smoker anyway or is she using 0 nic carts? it will be interesting to hear the docs response. i showed one to my gp when i went complaining about a cranky hand, but he didnt care much, just after his easy €80. but her doctor will need to calculate an opinion.

Iceman, it would trouble me if the pg was the cause of the warts. i had at least 30 warts on only my hands when i was younger. they're gone now and have never come back. i attacked the queen wart mercilessly and the rest fled in terror. you could have picked them up easy enough though. im doubting a pg connection. those little guys are right buggers. as for the food, try just cutting down on carbs. a recent study showed that carbs caused the destruction of a chemical in your body that lets you know you are full. the more carbs you eat, the hungrier you will feel over time, even though you dont need to eat.

I guess I do eat a lot of carbs when I go to the gym.
I am going on a diet when I get back from holiday and a trip to the dr for the wart 8-o

FDM

Aug 7, 2008
Argentina
You're right!! Googling "psoriasis and smoking"....
It seems that there is a strong association.

I think we indeed might tend to forget a bit too easily that starting on e-smoking often means stopping on tobacco-smoking (or at least severely diminishing it). And well, stopping on the tobacco can do sooo much...

Always hard, with 2 factors changing at the same time, to be able to tell which of the 2 is causing what...

bwood12043

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2008
East Texas
I have hesitated to reply to this post until I was a little more certain that my psoriasis had indeed improved. After 6 weeks of e-cigs, with only a few tobacco cigs during that time, I can actually attest to my three patches (one rather large) of psoriasis have actually gotten a great deal better. Not completely gone but a LOT better, no itching currently, just a little flakiness, but not the raw dry red itching awful patches they were before.

Now, I have no idea what did it.

PG?
Less tobacco?
More sleep?
Less stress?

combination of above, or none of the above...

All I DO know for certain is this, no cream or other "remedy" was giving me relief.

I have had no medication changes, no dietary or environmental changes, other than less smoke in my immediate area.

Don't know, but I like that it's better and I am no longer clawing myself raw !

that's my two cents worth !

Reactions: issy

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
BBC NEWS | Health | Smoking 'raises psoriasis risk'
if you read that article from the beeb, they say

The study of 79,000 nurses published in the American Journal of Medicine also found that people with psoriasis who smoke had more severe disease.

It is thought that toxins in cigarette smoke may affect parts of the immune system associated with psoriasis

so it would be intersting to see the results of someone who has had psorisis and stopped smoking completely without the use of ec's and whether they also experienced the same results. or does the ec go one better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread