• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Pssst...secret Call to Action!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I can't get into specific details, but in my continuing CASAA journey addressing an indoor use ban in a Wisconsin city, a little (Wisconsin media personality) birdie just told me it would benefit vapers all over Wisconsin greatly if we (Wisconsin vapers) specifically contacted Senator Grothman with our stories ASAP! Just in general your success story and why you think it's important to keep e-cigarettes for sale for adults and not part of indoor use bans ANYWHERE in Wisconsin. I will also be sending all of the supporting documentation as a CASAA representative in a packet to him.

phone: (800) 662-1227
fax: (608) 282-3560
email: Sen.Grothman@legis.wisconsin.gov
Madison address:
Room 10 South
State Capitol
P.O. Box 7882
Madison, WI 53707-7882

Keep in mind that phone, fax and face-to-face are more effective than email.

PS. He's on our side so be nice!
If anyone wants my help composing, me to review your statement before sending or coaching before a face-to-face, just post in this thread first and I'd be happy to play editor/coach if you need me!

Last edited:

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
....... it would benefit vapers all over Wisconsin greatly if we (Wisconsin vapers) specifically contacted Senator Grothman with our stories ASAP! Just in general your success story and why you think it's important to keep e-cigarettes for sale for adults and not part of indoor use bans ANYWHERE in Wisconsin. I will also be sending all of the supporting documentation as a CASAA representative in a packet to him.

phone: (800) 662-1227
fax: (608) 282-3560
email: Sen.Grothman@legis.wisconsin.gov

Keep in mind that phone, fax and face-to-face are more effective than email.

...............If anyone wants my help composing, me to review your statement before sending or coaching before a face-to-face, just post in this thread first and I'd be happy to play editor/coach if you need me!

Would it be possible to put up a crude, rough draft letter? I've been trying to do this for over a month now, and I'm really having a hard time getting that starting paragraph going.

"Face-to-face" was mentioned. Do you think there's any way we could meet with someone for some demontrations? A chance for them to see/smell that there is nothing with our alternative lifestyle that should upset anyone?

Got a snail mail address for him? Taking the time to sit down, and hand write a letter has a HUGE impact on legislators.

DANG! I thought I'd find it and put it up here real quick, but they sure are hiding it from me!
I'll keep digging....

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Got a snail mail address for him? Taking the time to sit down, and hand write a letter has a HUGE impact on legislators.

DONE - added to first post!

Would it be possible to put up a crude, rough draft letter? I've been trying to do this for over a month now, and I'm really having a hard time getting that starting paragraph going.

"Face-to-face" was mentioned. Do you think there's any way we could meet with someone for some demontrations? A chance for them to see/smell that there is nothing with our alternative lifestyle that should upset anyone?

DANG! I thought I'd find it and put it up here real quick, but they sure are hiding it from me!
I'll keep digging....

Working on it!

Last edited:

electrowoman

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
venezuela
disclosure: i know glenn grothman personally. and he IS definitely up for helping us. i also know that you HAVE to get folks to fill his public record with their stories and pleas. it always, always, always matters, because these guy have to be able to say "look, i've had ALL these people contact me and ask me to do this..." and they really should mostly be from WISCONSIN.

SmokingRT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
YIPEE!!! Home at last
disclosure: i know glenn grothman personally. and he IS definitely up for helping us. i also know that you HAVE to get folks to fill his public record with their stories and pleas. it always, always, always matters, because these guy have to be able to say "look, i've had ALL these people contact me and ask me to do this..." and they really should mostly be from WISCONSIN.

Ok so as some of you know I am in healthcare ....possibly a pulmonary related field. I would be thrilled to put pen to paper or even have a face to face however I need valid studies to look at first. I teach RNs, MDs and families almost everytime I work because I know how to read medical studies and relay them to those around me. The study has to be good and valid to be used as an argument. I have heard about them but I have not seen any links at this time. I would prefer if you PM me a link or if you are brave enough ask for my email so you can send it to me via email.

I started vaping.... FOR ME because of a lot of reasons. It made financial sense (lol...maybe) The decrease in Chemicals made sense. Last but not least I like the way it smells waaayyyyy better. However before I take a personal stance on this I need documented studies. Thank you all for your help.:2cool::vapor:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
PMd you too.

Best e-cigarette paper (non-industry):

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/centers-institutes/population-development/files/article.jphp.pdf

Links to e-cigarette/harm reduction relevant journal articles, studies, lab reports:

CASAA.org/Lab Reports

CASAA.org/Journal Articles

CASAA.org/Document Library (Scroll down to "Journal Articles, Reports, Studies & Reviews" section)

Ok so as some of you know I am in healthcare ....possibly a pulmonary related field. I would be thrilled to put pen to paper or even have a face to face however I need valid studies to look at first. I teach RNs, MDs and families almost everytime I work because I know how to read medical studies and relay them to those around me. The study has to be good and valid to be used as an argument. I have heard about them but I have not seen any links at this time. I would prefer if you PM me a link or if you are brave enough ask for my email so you can send it to me via email.

I started vaping.... FOR ME because of a lot of reasons. It made financial sense (lol...maybe) The decrease in Chemicals made sense. Last but not least I like the way it smells waaayyyyy better. However before I take a personal stance on this I need documented studies. Thank you all for your help.:2cool::vapor:

Last edited:

SmokingRT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
YIPEE!!! Home at last
PMd you too.

Best e-cigarette paper (non-industry):

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/centers-institutes/population-development/files/article.jphp.pdf

Links to e-cigarette/harm reduction relevant journal articles, studies, lab reports:

CASAA.org/Lab Reports

CASAA.org/Journal Articles

CASAA.org/Document Library (Scroll down to "Journal Articles, Reports, Studies & Reviews" section)

I have only read the Harvard one so far ....but it is good info. Can you or someone help me try to get a face to face with Sen. Grothman? I don't know if I can travel all the way to Madison but I am flexible on dates.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I have only read the Harvard one so far ....but it is good info. Can you or someone help me try to get a face to face with Sen. Grothman? I don't know if I can travel all the way to Madison but I am flexible on dates.

I honestly don't have any more pull with him or his staff than anyone else. Simply call the 800 number and ask to schedule a meeting with him. :)

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Here is a letter I would write, but I'm going to try to schedule a face-to-face as a CASAA rep.

Dear Senator Grothman,

My name is ______________ and I am a former smoker in ___________, Wisconsin. I had been smoking a pack of cigarettes an day for over 20 years, but I have now been smoke-free for over 1.5 years. By switching to electronic cigarettes in July 2009, I no longer have any desire to smoke tobacco cigarettes ever again. There is no other product on the market that alleviates nicotine cravings and completely eliminates exposure to deadly tobacco smoke while also mimicking the desired “hand-to-mouth” smoking experience. For me and hundreds of thousands of other e-cigarette users these are truly a miracle product.

Anti-tobacco and health groups will tell you that I haven’t successfully quit smoking unless I quit nicotine use, as well. This is simply not true. The greatest health risks from tobacco use are the toxins and carcinogens in the smoke, not the nicotine itself. Smokeless nicotine products have approximately the same low health risks as caffeinated products. Numerous published studies have shown that smokers who switch to a smokeless form of nicotine delivery, such as electronic cigarettes or Swedish snus, will reduce their health risks to nearly the same as non-smokers. Harm reduction research suggests that those who switch to a long-term, smokeless nicotine product have greater success remaining smoke-free than those who attempt to quit nicotine altogether. Ineffective nicotine replacement therapies (NRTs), designed to wean users from nicotine, have been shown to keep 93% of smokers on an unending cycle of failed attempts to quit. Conversely, the only way I would ever return to smoking is if e-cigarettes were removed from the market!

The groups who oppose e-cigarettes will also tell you that the chemicals in e-cigarettes are unknown, that the FDA must regulate e-cigarettes the same as other smoking cessation treatments and that the FDA discovered “antifreeze,” “toxic chemicals” and “carcinogens” in e-cigarettes, which makes them more dangerous than traditional cigarettes. These claims have also been shown to be untrue.

In the December 2010 issue of the Journal of Public Health Policy, Drs. Michael Siegel (Boston University) and Zachary Cahn (University of California -Berkeley) published the most comprehensive paper on e-cigarettes to date. They reviewed 16 separate e-cigarette studies, including that of the FDA, and concluded that “electronic cigarettes show tremendous promise in the fight against tobacco-related morbidity and mortality” and that “a preponderance of the available evidence shows them to be much safer than tobacco cigarettes and comparable in toxicity to conventional nicotine replacement products.”

Regarding the regulation as a smoking cessation product, FDA-approved pharmaceutical treatments supposedly cure nicotine addiction to promote smoking cessation, while e-cigarettes promote continued nicotine use. Therefore, e-cigarettes should not be required to prove they are a treatment for nicotine addiction for FDA-approval. Because of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, the FDA has the power to regulate e-cigarette products which make no claims as a treatment for nicotine addiction as alternative tobacco products, which would address concerns such as quality, labeling and sales to minors.

E-cigarettes are reduced-harm, smokeless products that have had no reports of injury or illness due to their use and should be regulated accordingly. They should not only be allowed to remain on the market as an option for adult smokers, they should be encouraged as a reduced harm option for smokers who cannot or will not quit. Therefore, without any evidence of danger to either the users or bystanders, indoor use of e-cigarettes should be protected as incentive for smokers to make the switch and encouragement for current e-cigarette users. Additionally, users should be protected from penalties issued by employers and insurance providers for their smokeless nicotine use, as they are no longer high risk. I urge you to use any means available to protect public health by ensuring that e-cigarettes remain available, affordable and effective in our state.

Sincerely,

Last edited:

electrowoman

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
venezuela
As far as smoke juice ingredients, it might be worthwhile to work in that we have a manufacturer here in the state (Johnson Creek) that generates revenue, jobs and uses pharmaceutical grade ingredients and lists ingredients on every package and complies with regulations that don't even exist yet.

YES. This is an excellent idea.

harmony gardens

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Wisconsin
I sent an email to Senator Grothman, and wrote to my Senator Dale Schultz. I tried to encourage him to work with Senator Grothman.

I was down at the Capitol on Friday. I don't want to stir anything up here in our forum, but dang,,,, it made me wish we could gather some of that energy for our cause. It was totally electric. I vaped in that same spot we sat at that first day we all met at the Capitol and said a little prayer for us vapers. I hope God heard me through all that noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread