"PSYBRID" (pseudo-hybrid) PHASE I

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Well, I've got a short wait for the part that darkzero is fabricating . .. . . and that's just what I thought I'd do: wait.

. . . . until I decided to rummage through my "graveyard" box from when I used to modify vintage fountain pens into vintage mechanical pencils. (You see, the pens were always the centerpiece, and the pencils were "sidekicks". So the pens were more handsome.) Anyway, I found a 3mm OD brass tube that I imagine must have been some kin'a pen's ink tube. Good enough! Let's get to work!

IGO-S atomizer with it's central guts ripped out, brass tube, copper wire to establish contact between REO aluminum body and SS base of atty.

The contact between the brass firing pin and the brass tube is solid. The hole I drilled in the firing pin is snug enough that I had to gently work the pin up onto the tube. That said, I'm sure that the threaded rod tube darkzero is making, with brass nuts sandwiching the pin will provide more mass and more contact surface area.

The results . . . . . .. . . . same v-drop as on my other mods with auto fuse and brass firing pin, and with the 510 cleaned of chrome plating. No gain here folks. I'm eager to see if Dizzie's part gives us any improvement.

Dturp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Okc
My only complaint about that setup is we end up back at a narrow set posts to work with. The RM2 was in improvement for me cause it allows more room to work with between the posts allowing more versatile coil setups without the need for longer legs or twisting them around to get what you want.

ETA I should say I love that firing pin and button though!!!!!!!!!!

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
My only complaint about that setup is we end up back at a narrow set posts to work with. The RM2 was in improvement for me cause it allows more room to work with between the posts allowing more versatile coil setups without the need for longer legs or twisting them around to get what you want.

ETA I should say I love that firing pin and button though!!!!!!!!!!

You're absolutely right, Dturp. If I had seen any improvement in V-drop; I would consider whether it was worth the compromise on post locations. If we end up milling an RBA especially for REO Hybrid use, that is something I really want to design for. Trouble, of course, is a single part can't get away from the center of the atty too easily.

The button is courtesy of SuperTrunker. I cobbled it, but it's his idea and his parts.

Dturp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Okc
Yeah I remember him telling how to do that. Looks really solid. Agreed on the pin location. One piece is def out if the goal is the wide set posts. But permanently fused pieces doesn't equal a downfall in my book either. I like the idea of a hybrid cause I rarely take my atty's off anyways and doing so only leads towards the eventual needed rebuild. Love the work you guys are doing keep it up.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Well, I'm definitely gonna try the Dizzie part too, and pro'ly keep it permanent (this setup is geared to accept that part). Then I'll have a special REO. (I use the IGO-S on this one anyway, cause it's my unflavored/dripper mod, and I like that the juice doesn't all go back down and mix temporary flavors into the clear base.) I should mention that I also fired it while holding a length of brass shim between the negative post and the REO body. Same result.

To me, this is kin'a good news for most of us REOnauts. To know that our REO is good as is (maybe with Rob's beryllium copper pin and springs, tho). That the setup we like is also gonna work just as good as some fancy schmancy hybrid crapolus. I speak to soon tho . . . .. we shall see. ;)

element77

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Atl, Ga
2013-10-18 11.50.49.jpg
brass strips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread