Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
OK, I always liked the pyramid tea bag material, but fussing with the folding & shredding and carmelizing was a pain. I was using the RSP mod and having issues with finding the right plug. I kept coming back to the PTB material, but couldn't figure out how to use it as a plug - but I think I got it! I've been using it for 3 days now and I haven't encountered any issues, other than not to overfill it.

Basically, it's the straw with a PTB plug, but instead of folding and rolling and shredding, just using it to plug the cart. The straw holds it in place better, keeping it pressed against the atty, but I have used it without the straw, as well. So far, it wicks really well, uses approx 95% of the liquid before needing a refill, refills easily (without having to remove - something the other "plug" mods don't do) and washes well for reuse. I'd love for some others to try it out, tweek it, to see if it works as well for them - especially since it SHOULD work with just about any cart size. I think the straw could be made even shorter, with the same effect, to take up even less space, but it does help hold up the plug from being pushed back into the cart.

Below is a pictorial, which should show everything - but it's VERY easy. Please read the photo captions for additional information.

P1040153.jpg

Straws are 5mm (1/4") diameter, both straws and tea were purchased at a Walmart Super Store.

P1040154.jpg

Empty tea bag.

P1040155.jpg

Cut straw to 10mm-15mm long and notch one end. Cut the PTB into 2 seperate pieces, trim off edges. Put one piece aside for another cart.

P1040156.jpg

Put straw all the way into the cart, notches towards the mouth end, notches facing the short sides of the cart.

P1040162.jpg

Take one piece of the PTB and center on a long, thin, pointed object. It would look like a flower upside down on the stem. If you don't have long tweezers, a tine of a meat fork or a small screwdriver works, too. Just be careful not to poke a hole when pushing it into the cart.

P1040163.jpg

Gently push PTB into the cart, until the tweezers hit the bottom of the cart.

P1040164.jpg

Trim off the excess, flush with the end of the cart.

P1040166.jpg

It may have open spaces like this.

P1040168.jpg

Spread the layers with your tweezers to fill the opening more evenly.

P1040169.jpg

Fill with your favorite liquid, 10-12 drops.

If you have a very thin liquid, you may want to use two pieces of PTB. If you have a very thick liquid, you may want to omit the straw.

Last edited:

IAMREALITY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
New Jersey
I ran out and tried the PTB for the first time yesterday after abandoning my silicon rope filler. I loved the PTB and it's the best filler yet. I just have trouble with the middle of the 'roll' bending after awhile from the pressure of the atty, so I'm left with the middle too recessed and the edges of the top of the roll left higher. So I'm excited to see you possibly improve the concept.

I'm a bit confused on what exactly it is you made though. You push the tea bag into the straw with the tweezers, and then fold the top edges inward to make a cap? Is that right? How far from the top of the 510 cart is the straw? Is it the same as normal (to the inner lip)?

Thanks for the help,

Jeremy

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Jeremy, just follow the directions exactly. I showed everything I did - no bending or folding off camera. Cut the straw to about 15mm (1/4"), notch it, put it into the cart all the way. It's probably about even with or a little taller than the inside ledges. Then use the tweezers, as shown, to push the PTB in. Then simply trim it flush with the cart and spread out the layers.

IAMREALITY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
New Jersey
Jeremy, just follow the directions exactly. I showed everything I did - no bending or folding off camera. Cut the straw to about 15mm (1/4"), notch it, put it into the cart all the way. It's probably about even with or a little taller than the inside ledges. Then use the tweezers, as shown, to push the PTB in. Then simply trim it flush with the cart and spread out the layers.

My apologies. My internet is buggin today and the only pic I saw when I first loaded this was your first one, showing the straws and the teabags. There was only one pic. Now I see the rest of them. Sorry bout that!

Hockeytown

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2009
MI, USA
Hey Kristin! I enjoy seeing what you and others come up with. I'm curious what the purpose of the straw is for this particular mod. Is it to keep the ptb tight except for near the top? I'm going to make one right now anyhow to give it a try. I always felt that the flavor from the ptb (the folded, rolled, frayed, blah blah blah) mod tasted the best, so I'm excited for this.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Hey Kristin! I enjoy seeing what you and others come up with. I'm curious what the purpose of the straw is for this particular mod. Is it to keep the ptb tight except for near the top? I'm going to make one right now anyhow to give it a try. I always felt that the flavor from the ptb (the folded, rolled, frayed, blah blah blah) mod tasted the best, so I'm excited for this.
Yes, it helps hold the PTB in place, close to the atomizer. Let me know how it works for you! :cool:

Hockeytown

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2009
MI, USA
Hey, I like this so far. Richer flavor, good vapor! For those that don't have the tweezers, I broke of one end of a toothpick, got it a little wet, and used the counter top to flatten/round off that end. Then when I pushed it in, I was careful to grip the PTB against the toothpick while I pushed once I felt resistance, so I would not rip though it. Ooo boy do I like the ease of making this!

SCOTTYBALLS

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Greenville, S.C.
OK Kristin not the exact same but pretty close I made a lil dart or I guess you could say a PTB plug.. working good so far.. give me a hour for my final thoughts.. Let me know if you want bigger pictures..

what I used.. I wanted a stiring straw but did not have one but I did have my Turkey injector wich is stainless steel needle... but will get stiring straws to make this cheaper I guess you can say its a prototype..
th_CIMG3651.jpg

Fold PTB over micro screwdriver
th_CIMG3652.jpg

Insert into the small tube
th_CIMG3653.jpg

Did a few frays..
th_CIMG3655.jpg

Cut off even with cart
th_CIMG3656.jpg

PTB PLUG
CIMG3661.jpg

Wa La PTB plug
th_CIMG3658.jpg

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
OK Kristin not the exact same but pretty close I made a lil dart or I guess you could say a PTB plug.. working good so far.. give me a hour for my final thoughts.. Let me know if you want bigger pictures..

what I used.. I wanted a stiring straw but did not have one but I did have my Turkey injector wich is stainless steel needle... but will get stiring straws to make this cheaper I guess you can say its a prototype..

Fold PTB over micro screwdriver

Insert into the small tube

Did a few frays..

Cut off even with cart

PTB PLUG

Wa La PTB plug

OK, then there is less room taken up by the straw - makes sense. Do you fill liquid first and then add the plug? Does the liquid wick up the center of the straw, then into the plug? Or does it flow around the straw, into the plug? Do you need to remove the plug for refills? (One of my goals was to not have to remove the plug for refills.)

I thought about using a micro screwdriver, too - good call!

Do you think the fraying is necessary? Is the plug not wide enough on it's own?

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Vanilla Caramel Truffle? I might have to try this! I didn't like the ptb from the taste of the berry. THANKS KRISTIN!! I had no idea they had vanilla caramel that sounds pretty good actually.
LOL! That's funny Vaporhead! I wasn't sure if the PTB would hold the tea flavor and I use a lot of coffee liquid, so to be safe, I bought something I thought would compliment it. Glad to know it was a smart move not getting a berry or fruit flavor (I almost bought peach, because I vape peach a lot.)

I got that flavor at a Walmart Super Store. I haven't tried it as an actual drink, though! LOL!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread