The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

PTN04050 Booster, need help! (Since i succed with the PTR08100 next...)

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by Tourlounette, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Tourlounette

Tourlounette Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Montréal
  2. Tourlounette

Aug 28, 2011
    Montréal
  3. jhonutz

jhonutz Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Apr 28, 2011
    Romania Iasi
    nice PV, well done I like that case. yep that 100K resistor it`s correct

4. Tourlounette

Aug 28, 2011
    Montréal
    Thank's Jhonytz.
    So I'll go on with that
    Regards

5. Quigsworth

Quigsworth Just some guy... Verified Member ECF Veteran

Good job Tour...I love the piece of tape on there, lol "coming soon, Meter"...they have those boxes in my local electronics store and I've picked it up a number of times then went nah...looks like it would be a hassle to build in, change batts, etc......is it?...it looks awesome (a little expensive :() but most awesome looking things are...

6. Tourlounette

Aug 28, 2011
    Montréal
    Well, I have used a plastic tube with cap inside for the batteries, and i put magnets at the button cap so it is pretty easy to change batteries. And for the rest, the box is big enough for the PTR08100 chips so.

The only things I miss is a direct charger in it. Next time maybe...

7. asdaq

asdaq Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Good to hear you bypassed using screws, looks good. Is it an external HDD case?

8. Tourlounette

Aug 28, 2011
    Montréal
  9. Quigsworth

Quigsworth Just some guy... Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nice asdaq!...external HDD case, hmmmm

10. breaktru

breaktru Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nice looking box Tourlounette, Good job Dude. Congrats on your build

11. Tourlounette

Aug 28, 2011
    Montréal
    Thank's Breaktru. Since you are a master in the VV field, do you think also that the diagram i made from your shematic of the 04050 will works ( I am not very good to understand electronic drawings) i have to see things as close as possible to reel life.

I understand the reason for the use of pots but i dont undertand the reason for the 100k ohm btw 3 and 4. So that's why i am not sure at all about my diagram.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9140557@N03/6702169503/sizes/l/in/set-72157628882058823/

Thanks for your comments!

12. breaktru

I have long stop using the 100k. I have graduated since then... LOL

13. Tourlounette

Aug 28, 2011
    Montréal
    Well, i guess it wiil be a long way for me before graduated ;-)
    Will try, will see... And maybe undertand

14. breaktru

The 100k on Pin 3 to 4 was used as a voltage divider

15. proax9

proax9 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 10, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I've been trying to do my homework, so I can build my first regulated, single battery (14650- 1300 mAh) mod with a PTN04050C. I believe I’ve read just about every post / schematic I could find on ECF.
    (I am not an electronic wiz kid, far from it- I’m a vaper who wants a steady ~4.2v)

I am not looking to do VV, but just regulated voltage at around 4.2v. My unanswered questions are:

1. A 90k resistor between pins 3 and 4 (Adj and V out) should yield APPROXIMATELY a fixed 4.2v?
    Is there a recommended part number / ‘local’ source options for these?

2. In looking for the 100 uF capacitors- TI recommends AVX TPS, Sprague 593D/594/595, and Kemet T495/T510/T520. I am seeing a lot of additional options: ESR, Case style, voltage rating, and capitance tolerance, etc. Is there some specific part number(s) I should use / get? (perhaps a possible ‘local’ vendor as well?)

3. I saw a post discussing battery drain and protection. “...overdischarge has never been an issue and never would be using LiCo batteries. If powering with LiMN, the batteries can actually push the boost even in an overdischarged state...”
    My current batteries are protected Trustfire (blue) li-ion 14650’s. Do I need to worry about additional battery protection?

Last but not least:
    I am running a mod with the same 3.7v 14650 batts with 1.7 Dual coils. Theoretically I believe I need a 3a switch. But I am using a switch rated 12v, 50 ma without any issues at all. Can I still use this with the boost chip?

16. Tourlounette

Aug 28, 2011
    Montréal
    I know what you mean about reading everythings...

Unfortunately I am not able give tell you if your are right about the the 90k ohm (but i belive you are not far from the target).

Maybe this can help you for single voltage with a PTN04050:
    https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AXdaMZo4FKMVZGhqdnE4YnNfNDNjN2Q0cHBoZg&hl=en&pli=1
    Wrote by Nuck

Since:
    "...Alternate Lower Voltage Build

For those that want the slider to output between 4.0 and 4.5v there is a really easy trick that RjG shared with me. If you add a 100k resistor between the Adj pin and and vOut pin on the booster the 4 voltages will be changed to:

4.0v
    4.15v
    4.3v
    4.5v
    "

I hope someone can directly respond to your questions, since you did your homeworks of reading and reading again.

But I am sure will achive somethings cause you are on good way;)

17. asdaq

True quote but

18. asdaq

Proax, the resistors between ADJ and GND all change the voltage for above 5v, and a resistor between ADJ and V-OUT reduces the voltage below 5v, but not that low. Nuck's circuit (certainly the most informative) uses a 2A diode at the end to drop each value by .6v and this gives the lower voltages. Unfortunately this diode converts the voltage to heat so it reduces efficiency.

If you want to be as close to stable 4.2v as possible and don't care about producing unvaped heat, you could leave out all resistors and just use a 3A diode between V-OUT and the connector as it takes .7-.8v off the the chip's 5v output. With larger batteries this could be acceptable.

This doesn't appeal to me so I use a 82k resistor between ADJ and V-OUT to get 4.57v. This also allows lower resistances before hitting the 12W limit, whereas the diode will not.

19. proax9

proax9 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 10, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Damn... now I am totally confused........ (i was toeing the line anway- so it wasn't your post asdaq)
    I got the resistor idea from Gummybear's post

"You can get it to go below 5v by putting the resistor between the adj and Vout instead of between the adj and gnd. 100k to 62k is about the limit this way. I use 82k for a fixed 4.4 to 4.5v (BTW no inline diode needed for this)"

This was from the thread Boost Buck Regulator Question . Am I misunderstanding Gummy's post?
    (Again- it's probably me.... I am new to modding with any circuitry.)

20. asdaq

That is likely where I got the 82k resistor from. The intended use is to use a resistor to set the board to output between 5v-15v. This here is 'tricking' it to output less than 5v, but not that much less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.