ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
They say they are developing tobacco plants that have less nicotine in them - since they take the nicotine out during processing in the most cases and then put it back in - what good does a plant with less nicotine in it do???
Not to mention that nicotine is probably the least harmful component of cigarette smoke. Smoking a lower nicotine cigarette still has health implications way above and beyond vapor products.... smoke is smoke.

I seem to recall seeing a study on Siegel's blog a while back about lowered-nicotine cigarettes showing that smokers simply smoked more of them and more frequently to "make up" the difference. Certainly human behavior would indicate that this is a plausible outcome... so I don't see how this would be a public health benefit in the long run.

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
Not to mention that nicotine is probably the least harmful component of cigarette smoke. Smoking a lower nicotine cigarette still has health implications way above and beyond vapor products.... smoke is smoke.

I seem to recall seeing a study on Siegel's blog a while back about lowered-nicotine cigarettes showing that smokers simply smoked more of them and more frequently to "make up" the difference. Certainly human behavior would indicate that this is a plausible outcome... so I don't see how this would be a public health benefit in the long run.

It wouldn't be a public health benefit if people kept smoking even though they weren't getting as much nicotine. A lot of public health "experts" mistakenly think that if they can lower the nicotine level in cigarettes enough that smokers will just quit. In a lot of cases, that just won't happen. I know several people who have dropped their nic level to zero, but can't quit vaping. There's way more to the habit than just nicotine.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
It wouldn't be a public health benefit if people kept smoking even though they weren't getting as much nicotine. A lot of public health "experts" mistakenly think that if they can lower the nicotine level in cigarettes enough that smokers will just quit. In a lot of cases, that just won't happen. I know several people who have dropped their nic level to zero, but can't quit vaping. There's way more to the habit than just nicotine.
This is absolutely, 100% true for many people, including me. This is why vaping worked for me when traditional NRT (gums and patches) and "cold turkey" did not. The act of smoking, which vaping replicates, was a big part of my habit... and, frankly, something I enjoyed.

Which leads me to this: public health doesn't seem to understand that some people actually enjoy smoking and nicotine. They seem to always think that smokers are some group of miserable people struggling with the "chains of addiction", when in reality some people rather enjoy smoking, and experience positive effects from nicotine use (such as improved concentration and focus, increased energy, etc). At least I do.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    This is true for many people, including me.
    I agree as well. The last 20 years or so of my 'cigarette habit', I knew it was bad for me, but I still enjoyed it and had no intention of quitting, again. The tobacco taste, the warmth, the throat hit, and basically, just the feeling of it, appealed to me more than logic..
    In fact, I was in the smoke shop to get another pack of those nails but the line was very long so I just burnt up some time looking at the various vaporizer starter kits they had. My neighbor had been vaping exclusively for the past three months, so my interest level was high and I had been somewhat researching this 'vaping thing', more than enough to know that I wouldn't be inhaling anti-freeze or battery fumes.. That afternoon I left the store with a CE4 eGo and that night I realized that I had no 'cig craves' all day. In 8 days it'll be two years and I wish this was around 30 something years ago..

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread