Pure Silica rope rated above 1600°C? wick string 1800 degrees degree 2000 1600°C 2000°C 1800°C

Status
Not open for further replies.

veganvap

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
usa
I'm hoping I'll do just fine with with organic cotton or hemp like most are using when I get my dual sub ohm dripping gear.
But I'm almost out of 1600°C silica and want more for back up.

I was going to buy the fasttech bargain silica. Basically all of the reviews praise it, but I couldn't find any mention of the temp threshold. At such a good price, it might only be like 1300°C.

I did a bunch of googling for 1800 degree 1800°C 2000 2200 silica rope string cord etc etc and found a bunch of thick ropes with high temp ratings. Most are bulk orders and more than I'd want to spend even if I could sit there and un-braid ropes and tapes. Some note that the content is like %96 silica with %4 mystery, unless all silica's like that?

So my question is does anyone know of any silica suited for vaping that's rated above 1600°C? The higher the better I'd assume.

Thanks.

Last edited:

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Inappropriate and off topic

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
This may be a valid concern veganvap. I once bought a couple of 'bargain' off-brand clearos to try out. I found the wicks deteriorated very quickly when dry burning. At first I thought they were not silica, but after having a good look I was pretty sure they were. I did some research and also found that not all silica melts at the same temperature.

I talked to the supplier and they could not tell me what silica was in the devices. After that I stuck with Vision clearos and never had the problem again. I did buy some silica wick this year without asking about it, but I bought a small quantity to try first. All you have to do is torch it. It was good and I'll stick with that supplier as long as I can.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
you do realize kanthal melts at 1500c and recommended to run no hotter then 1400.

The interesting thing is SS has a melting point of 1500C and I have melted it in my AGA-T when pulsing out shorts using Kanthal A1. Not just a speck either, significant patches. After I saw that I got a lot more careful to not heat it up that high.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
but its not melting from the heat coming off the kanthal it is melting from the direct short between where the coils are touching.also the thinner wire(the mesh strands) will melt first.

my point was I torch and dry burn silica all the time, i have never seen it scorch let alone burn, if you can get the kanthal hot enough to actually burn the silica your running at temps far hotter then you would ever vape.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
but its not melting from the heat coming off the kanthal it is melting from the direct short between where the coils are touching.also the thinner wire(the mesh strands) will melt first.

I think with a short the SS would not heat up near as much as the Kanthal because it's not resistance material and there can't be more amps in the short than through the wire. Does that make any sense?

my point was I torch and dry burn silica all the time, i have never seen it scorch let alone burn, if you can get the kanthal hot enough to actually burn the silica your running at temps far hotter then you would ever vape.

I agree, if the silica is good stuff. The one I ran into was really affected by dry burning, though it was in the clearo and I couldn't torch it to see if it would melt. I had no worries about it during vaping. My issue was I couldn't dry burn it and I dry burn clearos every few tank fulls. I ended up tossing those.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I think with a short the SS would not heat up near as much as the Kanthal because it's not resistance material. There can't be more amps in the short than through the wire. Does that make any sense?
it would be the other way, with no resistance, just like in a shorted wire, it is pulling more amperage through that smaller section for that little millisecond you see the spark. since the mesh strand is what, 1/10th the thickness of the kanthal the mesh burns a hole before the res wire can heat up, the path of least resistance etc.

if it didnt pull more amps the shorting wick wouldn't cause the battery to get hot or kick up a Lo warning and since the wire has more resistance it will start to heat up last.and once the shorts are pulsed out what happens? the resistance wire begins to glow... think of it like spot welding, the spotwelder leads are copper and you just touch the leads together like a clamp with the metal in between. for that brief second the amperage at the tips is enough to melt and fuse the steel without damaging the copper tips.

a while back LEO, inventor of many a fine atty, posted an idea using a piece of mesh wrapped around silica with the resistance wire wrapped around the ends of the mesh using them as leads, basically using the mesh as the coil. worked great the piece of mesh got bright red

Last edited:

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
the inconsistency i see with silica is first the density of the strand. you buy 2 different samples both the same size but one weighs less than the other one using the same length of strand for testing. the other thing is the fibers might not be woven with as much precision as the other one. you will see loose hair or fibers on small bits of it that look like knots or snag marks.

IMO the denser and more precise the better.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
it would be the other way, with no resistance, just like in a shorted wire, it is pulling more amperage through that smaller section for that little millisecond you see the spark. since the mesh strand is what, 1/10th the thickness of the kanthal the mesh burns a hole before the res wire can heat up, the path of least resistance etc.

if it didnt pull more amps the shorting wick wouldn't cause the battery to get hot or kick up a Lo warning and since the wire has more resistance it will start to heat up last.and once the shorts are pulsed out what happens? the resistance wire begins to glow... think of it like spot welding, the spotwelder leads are copper and you just touch the leads together like a clamp with the metal in between. for that brief second the amperage at the tips is enough to melt and fuse the steel without damaging the copper tips.

Well, it`s been a fascinating morning of research on spot welders, ss mesh and resistance in electric circuits! Still not convinced about this, but that`s cool as I`ve learned a lot :thumb:

A while back LEO, inventor of many a fine atty, posted an idea using a piece of mesh wrapped around silica with the resistance wire wrapped around the ends of the mesh using them as leads, basically using the mesh as the coil. worked great the piece of mesh got bright red

I searched for this and could not find it. I did find info on SS mesh used as an element with low resistance wire connections. If you or anyone has a link to it I would love to have a look!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
yea......... umm............ I think we totally derailed vegi's thread lol

Yup, I was thinking the same thing a little while back. But we`re still talking about wick safety, it`s just not silica ... almost on topic ... hmmm ...

Nope, I don`t buy it either.

Sorry veganvap, back to you ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread