Purple efest 18650 battery warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyrl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Hillsboro, OR
I was always sketched out by Efest batteries tbh. That's why I've always just bought VTC5s and called it a day.

But marketing a battery as a 20A continuous discharge when it is in fact only 4A is just scary. If people are running out of spec resistance coils, it's not a matter of "will it fail", but rather "when will it fail?" I actually know a few people that own these Efest batteries, and now I gotta go convince them to make the switch to VTC5.

Last edited:

dannyrl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Hillsboro, OR
dannyrl, I'll bet it will be a hard sell. I think that there are too many that think nothing of spending $100 - $200 on a mod, but when it comes to batteries, they want to save a buck or two. Just ask them if they are willing to bet their faces on those batteries.

For sure. I never understood why anyone would try to save $1 or $2 on a battery that doesn't perform nearly as well.

I went the other way and bought clone mechs and RDAs, but bought the highest quality batteries lol.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
dannyrl, I'll bet it will be a hard sell. I think that there are too many that think nothing of spending $100 - $200 on a mod, but when it comes to batteries, they want to save a buck or two. Just ask them if they are willing to bet their faces on those batteries.

Yeah... I've Seen that. A Lot.

And what Makes it even More Baffling is when you take into account what the Average person was spending per month on Analogs.

I spent about $175/month on Analogs. Every Month. When the thought of Trying to save a Buck or Two comes up on Any e-Cigarette Hardware comes up, I just Shake my Head.

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
This link was posted the other day:

Test of Efest IMR18350 700mAh (Purple) 2014

This particular battery seems to live up to Efest's claimed discharge spec.

I have a couple. They are pretty new to me so I don't have an opinion about the overall lifespan of this cell yet.

I would love to know what is under the wrapper however as Efest does not seem to manufacture the cells they sell but instead seem to market other manufactures cells.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I believe that all the re-sellers buy their batteries from the same 2 or 3 manufactures, Sony, Panasonic, ect, and re-wrap. It's just that some re-sellers buy the better grade of batteries than the others do. At least that's my understanding of it.

Yeah... And it Isn't the Rewrapping that is the Issue. Or at least Shouldn't be.

It's when the Specs of what is Printed on the Rewrapper Doesn't Match the Cell that are Being Wrapped.

All AW Batteries have been Rewrapped. And I don't see Anyone Complaining about them.

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
Yeah... And it Isn't the Rewrapping that is the Issue. Or at least Shouldn't be.

It's when the Specs of what is Printed on the Rewrapper Doesn't Match the Cell that are Being Wrapped.

All AW Batteries have been Rewrapped. And I don't see Anyone Complaining about them.

Yep!

I am not bugged at all by a rewrapped battery. Marketing is fine and dandy.
I am aware of the fact that we in the vaping community are using batteries that are not meant to be sold and consumed by the end users. The lithium batteries we use are meant to be part of another product.

Efest markets to vapers. Unfortunately for us, Efest chooses to be less than honest about the specs of some of the batteries that they purvey. I have a problem because I don't know when I can believe the specs they provide.

The Panasonic NCR18650BE that is the topic of this entire thread is not a shoddy battery. It is a quality cell made to high specification, and is reasonably priced. The trouble is with Efest marketing that cell with absolute lies printed on the wrapper.

Efest was honest about their 30A battery, it truly is a 30A battery (Sony US18650VTC4).

I'm pretty happy with my Efest 18350, 10.5A batteries. They have been tested independently, meet the 10.5A spec and seems to be a high quality cell. That particular cell is filling a void in the market as I only know of that cell and the AW 18350 that are suitable for use in a vaping environment.

I am pretty happy with my purple Efest 18500 batteries also. Once again, those cells are AW's only competition in this market and in this case the Efest cells seem to live up to what is printed on the wrapper.

I also agree that NOBODY complains about the quality of an AW battery. AW has it right! The batteries that they sell are tested and meet the specs AW lists for them. That isn't magic! It is simply what they need to do to sell a product that is priced as a premium product. AW has added value by selecting the best cells to re-wrap.

This is exactly why I feel Efest is letting me down. Charging premium prices for cells with inflated specs and no testing is not how they are going to win my loyal, repeat business.

I think I have now beat this horse dead with my opinion of Efest.

I would love to know who manufactured the Efest purple 18350 and 18500 so I can have another choice between AW or Efest for batteries in those sizes and cut out the Efest middleman.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I am currently using my two Efest 3100 "20 amp" batteries in a couple of Cana mods running with in their actual limits but am on the fence as to whether to run up to the store right now and replace them with a couple of Sony's or just continue to use them.

Seems like if you are running Any Battery up to its Limits, and there is a Better Battery out there, then you should Upgrade.

Doesn't seem like much of a Decision to Me.

pnyc

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
xXx
Exactly. I am buying a battery, not lottery.

Yep!

I am not bugged at all by a rewrapped battery. Marketing is fine and dandy.
I am aware of the fact that we in the vaping community are using batteries that are not meant to be sold and consumed by the end users. The lithium batteries we use are meant to be part of another product.

Efest markets to vapers. Unfortunately for us, Efest chooses to be less than honest about the specs of some of the batteries that they purvey. I have a problem because I don't know when I can believe the specs they provide.

The Panasonic NCR18650BE that is the topic of this entire thread is not a shoddy battery. It is a quality cell made to high specification, and is reasonably priced. The trouble is with Efest marketing that cell with absolute lies printed on the wrapper.

Efest was honest about their 30A battery, it truly is a 30A battery (Sony US18650VTC4).

I'm pretty happy with my Efest 18350, 10.5A batteries. They have been tested independently, meet the 10.5A spec and seems to be a high quality cell. That particular cell is filling a void in the market as I only know of that cell and the AW 18350 that are suitable for use in a vaping environment.

I am pretty happy with my purple Efest 18500 batteries also. Once again, those cells are AW's only competition in this market and in this case the Efest cells seem to live up to what is printed on the wrapper.

I also agree that NOBODY complains about the quality of an AW battery. AW has it right! The batteries that they sell are tested and meet the specs AW lists for them. That isn't magic! It is simply what they need to do to sell a product that is priced as a premium product. AW has added value by selecting the best cells to re-wrap.

This is exactly why I feel Efest is letting me down. Charging premium prices for cells with inflated specs and no testing is not how they are going to win my loyal, repeat business.

I think I have now beat this horse dead with my opinion of Efest.

I would love to know who manufactured the Efest purple 18350 and 18500 so I can have another choice between AW or Efest for batteries in those sizes and cut out the Efest middleman.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I am currently using my two Efest 3100 "20 amp" batteries in a couple of Cana mods running with in their actual limits but am on the fence as to whether to run up to the store right now and replace them with a couple of Sony's or just continue to use them.
So I replaced them and with all things a couple of Efest 2500 mah "35amp" ones. At least I know what they are and can handle things even in a mechanical.

icebat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
KS
I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I did just order one of the 3100 mah efests before I stumbled accross this info. I saw this thread the day it was out for delivery to me. I sent 101vape a message about a possible refund, and also forwarded along the link to the article, and also this thread. Here's the response I got. (Please chime in, I would like to see some discussion about this) Also any reccomendations on where I should go from here.

Hi Sean, this is an interesting article but based on the testing that we have done here with these batteries it is completely false. I have absolutely no idea how they came to this conclusion. We source our batteries directly from eFest. I cannot speak to these individuals and their experience or info, or battery source but here are some actual test results.

I tested this on a mechanical mod with a dual coil RDA, here are the numbers:

coil resistance: 0.3ohm
battery voltage: 3.8
current: 10.5AMP
power: 40 watts

This was a continuous discharge of more than 10 seconds. After bringing these results up with the boss he wanted to go further with a stress test. In an attempt to push the battery beyond it's limits. It was tested in a mechanical mod with a unique coil build and this battery was able to output 45AMP (more than 6 times what was stated as the max current) for more than 10 seconds continuously. At no time during any testing did the battery show any signs of fatigue or failure, it didn't even get warm. Please do not attempt to reproduce this high current experiment as this is way beyond what eFest states as the operating specs of the battery.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, but like many things written on the internet it should be taken with a grain of salt. If you have any evidence or test results that would be counter to what we are saying here please let us know.

Regards
101Vape support team

Last edited:

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I did just order one of the 3100 mah efests before I stumbled accross this info. I saw this thread the day it was out for delivery to me. I sent 101vape a message about a possible refund, and also forwarded along the link to the article, and also this thread. Here's the response I got.

Hi Sean, this is an interesting article but based on the testing that we have done here with these batteries it is completely false. I have absolutely no idea how they came to this conclusion. We source our batteries directly from eFest. I cannot speak to these individuals and their experience or info, or battery source but here are some actual test results.

I tested this on a mechanical mod with a dual coil RDA, here are the numbers:

coil resistance: 0.3ohm
battery voltage: 3.8
current: 10.5AMP
power: 40 watts

This was a continuous discharge of more than 10 seconds. After bringing these results up with the boss he wanted to go further with a stress test. In an attempt to push the battery beyond it's limits. It was tested in a mechanical mod with a unique coil build and this battery was able to output 45AMP (more than 6 times what was stated as the max current) for more than 10 seconds continuously. At no time during any testing did the battery show any signs of fatigue or failure, it didn't even get warm. Please do not attempt to reproduce this high current experiment as this is way beyond what eFest states as the operating specs of the battery.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, but like many things written on the internet it should be taken with a grain of salt. If you have any evidence or test results that would be counter to what we are saying here please let us know.

Regards
101Vape support team

I would like to see Supporting Data on 101Vape's test.

EFEST IMR 18650 3100 mAh 20A : Attention, ces batteries sont dangereuses ! | DiY Vape

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvape.li%2Fefest-imr-18650-3100-mah-20a-attention-ces-batteries-sont-dangereuses%2F&sandbox=1

This test doesn't support 101Vape's findings.

Last edited:

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I have another project that I have been working on (mentally) which is load testing the Vamped "40 amp" batteries against the Sony's.
I needed to buy a couple of things which I just did for my setup. I shall do the same with these Efest batteries hopefully tomorrow.
After putting yesterday's half- arrsed test figures into an Ohm's Law calculator I did come up with 17 amps. There may be hope for these batteries after all, we shall see.

I contacted Efest and her is their response.
Efest-Susie: 1. We tested the pulse discharging current of the purple Efest IMR 18650 3100mAh battery 20A(its continuous discharging current is 10A, higher capacity limits less Amps), so we mark " discharging current" is 20A.

2. We had tested Efest 18650 3100mah is safe to use on the ecig mods ( over 0.6 ohms, this battery is enough ok for most Ecig mods), flashlight, etc. before we publish them on the market. We also received many good feedbacks that said our purple batteries are perfect for sub-ohm devices. Our Efest 18650 3100mah batteries were launched from March,2014. We never received any dangerous feedback about our purple 18650 battteries from our customers so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread