Purple efest 18650 battery warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnyc

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
xXx
OK. Efest officially admitted they list the 'pulse discharge current' in their batteries. As far as I know, most decent makers (Panasonic, Sony, LG, AW, MNKE) do not employ this sales tactic. They all list continuous discharge current in their spec. There is no industrial standard of how long a pulse is or how long the resting period between each pulse. Can be quite dangerous if an unsuspecting user misinterpreted how a pulse work.

I contacted Efest and her is their response.
Efest-Susie: 1. We tested the pulse discharging current of the purple Efest IMR 18650 3100mAh battery 20A(its continuous discharging current is 10A, higher capacity limits less Amps), so we mark " discharging current" is 20A.

icebat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
KS
I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I did just order one of the 3100 mah efests before I stumbled accross this info. I saw this thread the day it was out for delivery to me. I sent 101vape a message about a possible refund, and also forwarded along the link to the article, and also this thread. Here's the response I got. (Please chime in, I would like to see some discussion about this) Also any reccomendations on where I should go from here.

Hi Sean, this is an interesting article but based on the testing that we have done here with these batteries it is completely false. I have absolutely no idea how they came to this conclusion. We source our batteries directly from eFest. I cannot speak to these individuals and their experience or info, or battery source but here are some actual test results.

I tested this on a mechanical mod with a dual coil RDA, here are the numbers:

coil resistance: 0.3ohm
battery voltage: 3.8
current: 10.5AMP
power: 40 watts

This was a continuous discharge of more than 10 seconds. After bringing these results up with the boss he wanted to go further with a stress test. In an attempt to push the battery beyond it's limits. It was tested in a mechanical mod with a unique coil build and this battery was able to output 45AMP (more than 6 times what was stated as the max current) for more than 10 seconds continuously. At no time during any testing did the battery show any signs of fatigue or failure, it didn't even get warm. Please do not attempt to reproduce this high current experiment as this is way beyond what eFest states as the operating specs of the battery.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, but like many things written on the internet it should be taken with a grain of salt. If you have any evidence or test results that would be counter to what we are saying here please let us know.

Regards
101Vape support team

Well, I'm quoting myself from the previous page. Turns out 101 actually sent me the wrong battery. I didn't even realize until yesterday, because I didn't bother to open it until I found out if I could get a refund or exchange. They sent me a 26650 by mistake, so It looks like I should be able to get a refund afterall. I'll keep using the purple 18350's, but I think I'll steer clear of efest in the future.

Last edited:

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
OK I have finished load testing the Efest 3100 mah 20 amp batteries and most of my other 18650's.
My load can only be figured somewhere between .05Ω to .14Ω due to the fact that my meter only reads to the 10th of an ohm but I'm pretty sure it's real close to .1Ω.
Two coils in parallel, 7 wraps 22 gauge Royal. Readings were taken off the battery end of things. This was for 10 seconds.
Efest 3100's did really well, the voltage reading under load was 3,36 volts.
Used MNKE 18650.....3.32 volts
New Efest 2500 mah "35 amp"....3.74 volts.
Used VTC4....3.64 volts.
Near new VTC4...3.72 volts
An old pink Panasonic CGR18650A.....2.56 volts.
So back to the purple Efest 3100 mah 20 amp battery, Figure 24 amps @ .14Ω but probably my coils are closer to .1Ω which would be 33 amps.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just a Side Note about Bootleg Efest Batteries.

I came across this Photo while doing Research on what Type of Battery Fasttech includes with there HANA Modz Clones.

1037kt1.jpg

The Battery?: FastTech Forums

Now I know. Fasttech includes an Efest "Rechatgeable" Battery.

LOL

(You would Think that any Self-Respecting Bootlegger would Use Spell Checker on their Wrappers before Starting Up the Printing Line to make a 100,000 Knock-Off Batteries.)

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Just a Side Note about Bootleg Efest Batteries.

I came across this Photo while doing Research on what Type of Battery Fasttech includes with there HANA Modz Clones.

1037kt1.jpg

The Battery?: FastTech Forums

Now I know. Fasttech includes an Efest "Rechatgeable" Battery.

LOL

(You would Think that any Self-Respecting Bootlegger would Use Spell Checker on their Wrappers before Starting Up the Printing Line to make a 100,000 Knock-Off Batteries.)
From my understanding of the situation these batteries were shipped with the FT Cana on the earliest ones. The one my friend received from Fasttech had a purple Efest 2500 mah 35 amp 18650 which I load tested about an hour ago and it's a high power battery, I got more than 40 amps pulse from it.

A little before that I tested a Copper Vamped 18650, new and right off the charger, I compared it against a really used "vape shop house" Sony VCT4 right off the charger.
3.38 volts off the Vamped and 3.67 volts from the beat up Sony, tested with a load somewhere between 0.08Ω and 0.1Ω

I actually doubt that the Efest battery in the above picture is anything other than Efest,

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
From my understanding of the situation these batteries were shipped with the FT Cana on the earliest ones. The one my friend received from Fasttech had a purple Efest 2500 mah 35 amp 18650 which I load tested about an hour ago and it's a high power battery, I got more than 40 amps pulse from it.

A little before that I tested a Copper Vamped 18650, new and right off the charger, I compared it against a really used "vape shop house" Sony VCT4 right off the charger.
3.38 volts off the Vamped and 3.67 volts from the beat up Sony, tested with a load somewhere between 0.08Ω and 0.1Ω

I actually doubt that the Efest battery in the above picture is anything other than Efest,

I dunno what I am going to get? But I went ahead and bought one of those Hana Clones anyway.

I just hope that whatever Battery they send me will work with my Charger. I would hate to have to buy a "Chatger" just to charge a "Rechatgeable" Battery.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Thanks for the info on the efest 3100 mah being the same as a Panasonic NCR18650BE which can be bought at fastech for $13/pair. The efest 3100 mh is the longest lasting battery at low wattage in my VTR by a long shot.

Batteries shouldn't be a problem for you in using a VTR anyways... It is a regulated mod. This problem was brought to light for use in mechanical mods.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012

SintheticKarma

Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Firstly, I have been very pleased with my efest purple "35" amp batteries. They seem to perform on par with my VTC 5's. Both batteries have worked well down to .16 in my experience. I would be hard pressed to pick a "winner" if ask which was better.

I would like to get you guys opinions on this. He makes a great point. Is your VTC 5 the same as mine? Were they both made to the same specification? Sony sure doesn't make them so who does?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2--worq4ekE

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Firstly, I have been very pleased with my efest purple "35" amp batteries. They seem to perform on par with my VTC 5's. Both batteries have worked well down to .16 in my experience. I would be hard pressed to pick a "winner" if ask which was better.

I would like to get you guys opinions on this. He makes a great point. Is your VTC 5 the same as mine? Where they both made to the same specification? Sony sure doesn't make them so who does?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2--worq4ekE
just want to say that using any battery currently on the market at 0.16 ohm is pushing a battery harder than it was designed to be used. Battery manufacturers have never intended for us to use these batteries in mods, let alone push them to their limits like extreme sub-ohm vapers use them.

I've seen the above video which was in another thread. He makes some good points but also has some misconceptions about Efest being a trustworthy manufacturer and saying that AW stopped producing batteries years ago. My :2c:.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
There's just no way that the Efest 3100 mah 20 amp 18650's are re-wrapped NCR18650BE's, a few posts back I posted about testing these and they did very well, well enough for 0.2Ω coils. I also tested the copper Vamped 18650 "competition" battery and the figures were about the same as the Efest 3100.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...est-18650-battery-warning-9.html#post13842586

I Don't think Anyone is saying All Efest 3100mAh 18650's are Re-Wrapped NCR18650BE's.

Or that if 1 Person discovers a Battery that Does Not meet the OEM's specs, that it is Indicative that All of the Batteries are Bad.

But by the Same Token, I don't see how One can say that All Efest 3100mAh 18650's Batteries are Good because they Test 1 and found No Problems.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
I Don't think Anyone is saying All Efest 3100mAh 18650's are Re-Wrapped NCR18650BE's.

Or that if 1 Person discovers a Battery that Does Not meet the OEM's specs, that it is Indicative that All of the Batteries are Bad.

But by the Same Token, I don't see how One can say that All Efest 3100mAh 18650's Batteries are Good because they Test 1 and found No Problems.
I shall say that the two I tested were not re-wrapped Panisonic NCR18650BE's then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread