FDA Put The Brakes On The FDA and Big Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will273

Aug 30, 2016
Put the FDA and Big tobacco on notice...after August 8, 2018 all tobacco products will cease. If smokers would unite and start importing their cigarettes instead of buying from big tobacco it might hit them where it hurts.

There's not enough news coverage about what the FDA is doing...seems like it's being kept quiet. We need to make some noise and make the news...start protesting at big tobacco head quarters and factories where they make cigarettes. The more people know about this the better. I rarely see anything on the news so we need to get on the news...protest and make noise...get visible so people can see...in person...what's happening. Depending on the media isn't working...they're aren't saying much...if anything and are probably being paid off to keep quiet.

Anyway...for me I'm going to look into importing my own cigarettes if it comes down to that and I start smoking again if I don't quit...just something to think about. If everyone did it... it would stop the FDA and big tobacco cold. Not sure if that's possible but something to consider...we can still fight in our own little personal ways....do our parts.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I dunno about you, but I'm not going back to smoking no matter what the goobermint does. For around $500 you can stash a lifetime supply of nic in the corner of your freezer, thereby making both big government big tobacco irrelevant. How long would $500 last importing your own cigs?

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
If smokers would unite and start importing their cigarettes instead of buying from big tobacco it might hit them where it hurts.

Ask those who've tried that and got caught. Essentially, you'll be nailed for tax evasion and most states consider that a felony offense.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
There must be a psychological barrier to stockpiling. It's hard to accept that the government is the enemy and it's time to go underground. I should be all done stocking up, I'm a lot of the way there, but not done. But stocking is so easy it's impossible to ignore. 500,000 mg of nic costs $250 and will last me 20 years if it will last that long in the freezer. $350 worth of mods carefully stored and $70 worth of atomizers and it's likely I'm good for 10 years and possibly 20. (Everything else is generic) And all of this costs less than it cost me to smoke for 3 months.

The kids have already figured out how to beat the system. It turns out they are interested in clouds, not nicotine, so they can buy their e liquid at Walmart and thumb their noses at the government and that's what they are doing.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Why wouldn't you just import vapor products instead? I'm quite confident that China suppliers like FastTech will still be selling vapor products, including e-liquid.... and probably selling them like hotcakes.

Because if it's not on the "approved" list, it can be seized and destroyed. There are already Chinese companies that are refusing to ship products released after August 8th to the US.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
Because if it's not on the "approved" list, it can be seized and destroyed. There are already Chinese companies that are refusing to ship products released after August 8th to the US.
Could be wrong but I think those companies also have a distribution warehouse here in the U.S. They wholesale to vape shops but also sell directly from China to the general public. Stands to reason they wouldn't want to jeopardize any inventory sitting here. Of course if the FDA hammer falls there's no reason for those distribution points to remain in the U.S.

That said, I don't think fasttech has any risk like that. They ship a lot of goods here that's not vape related. There's always some risk of course but Customs won't even make a dent.

Just my 2 cents based on conversations with friends in Shenzhen.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia

So I guess when we get to 2018 they will then refuse to ship anything to the US unless this changes? Is there any other consumer based product in the world that is controlled that stringently in the US?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Of course, stockpiling works for vapers who know where to get it. But there are a lot of casual vapers who have no clue how to get it or how to DIY. And I think most of the vapers are like that.
I started a brother vaping at Christmas 2014. It took him 10 months to end dual use but it finally happened. He is resisting acknowledging coming restrictions. The problem for me is I'll share with him no matter what. I got him to pay for his share of the nic but I'm getting nowhere after that. I know what to get for myself and even I haven't finished the job and it's not that much money. I have one more bottle of nic on the list and still have yet to buy most of the mods on the list.

Stockpiling/hoarding is hard on my head. I'm hating it. It's weird to get a package in the mail for something important that I don't plan to use for as many years a as possible. I check to see a mod is in good working order then it disappears into storage.

If I have everything on the list I'm vulnerable to an anxiety attach and thinking may be I don't have enough so I get something more and... As long as I don't have everything I can settle that anxiety by getting someting still on the original list. Preparing for the shortage is measuring life in milliliters and our instinct is to shoot for immortality.

Somebody must have done some studies on hoarding psychology.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
Ever read the prohibited food list for coming into the US?

Fail to declare any food item that's in your possession when you cross into the US and you could get nailed with a $10,000 fine. More so if it's a prohibited food.

Those are primarily due to bugs, bacteria, etc control. This is a manufactured item...

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
IMO, the only way to limit the power of the FDA is through the voting booth, and that takes forever unless a candidate shares your particular issue and happens to get the votes needed.

I've written my representatives and my senator several times each and they all send a canned response acknowledging my email. Sometimes, they actually quote the legislation I've highlighted. Hopefully, they are keeping tabs on particular issues for future action. I'm not sure that vaping is at the top of their list, but they seemed to enjoy giving the FDA a hot seat in 2010 over the 2009 action against ecigs.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Ever read the prohibited food list for coming into the US?

Fail to declare any food item that's in your possession when you cross into the US and you could get nailed with a $10,000 fine. More so if it's a prohibited food.

I'll never forget the time in the Bahamas airport when we had to go through an FDA inspection with open suitcases on return to the U.S. They confiscated the Coconut in my suitcase. That Coconut dropped from a tree into the sand and almost hit me! I picked it up and tried to bring it home just for the heck of it.

They are serious about bringing things in without an FDA Inspection sticker.

Darksand

Oct 27, 2013
Europe
I started a brother vaping at Christmas 2014. It took him 10 months to end dual use but it finally happened. He is resisting acknowledging coming restrictions. The problem for me is I'll share with him no matter what. I got him to pay for his share of the nic but I'm getting nowhere after that. I know what to get for myself and even I haven't finished the job and it's not that much money. I have one more bottle of nic on the list and still have yet to buy most of the mods on the list.

Oh man, this sounds sooo familiar, except there are like 10 people who come to me for juice. Luckily I got some of them to buy DIY stuff and others to just stockpile NIC. But still most come to me for juice. I have enough stuff but I like to spread it out.

Stockpiling/hoarding is hard on my head. I'm hating it. It's weird to get a package in the mail for something important that I don't plan to use for as many years a as possible. I check to see a mod is in good working order then it disappears into storage.

I never had an issue stocking up devices, I bought them anyway. I like the devices, its kind of a hobby of me, so I do not worry about this. I have enough for now.

If I have everything on the list I'm vulnerable to an anxiety attach and thinking may be I don't have enough so I get something more and... As long as I don't have everything I can settle that anxiety by getting someting still on the original list. Preparing for the shortage is measuring life in milliliters and our instinct is to shoot for immortality.

Oh, You worded this brilliantly! Thats why I just bought a crap pile of NIC.

Somebody must have done some studies on hoarding psychology.
Yea, now we have a new addiction!

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
I'll never forget the time in the Bahamas airport when we had to go through an FDA inspection with open suitcases on return to the U.S. They confiscated the Coconut in my suitcase. That Coconut dropped from a tree into the sand and almost hit me! I picked it up and tried to bring it home just for the heck of it.

They are serious about bringing things in without an FDA Inspection sticker.

We travel internationally periodically - you should see what people try to bring back into the country. Live plants, raw fruits (I have seen them bug laden), etc. My wife always brings back stuff, but only processed stuff - they have no problem with it as long as you are not trying to bring back a commercial quantity...

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
We travel internationally periodically - you should see what people try to bring back into the country. Live plants, raw fruits (I have seen them bug laden), etc. My wife always brings back stuff, but only processed stuff - they have no problem with it as long as you are not trying to bring back a commercial quantity...

Yep, they wanted to see an FDA inspection sticker on it with a factory over wrap and a seal. Their concern was fly/bug larva and insect eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread