Pv banned where smoking is ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yelvington924

Mar 9, 2016
They had several incidents concerning people vaping. I work on an oil rig so ignition sources are a very serious thing so smoking and vaping are normally contained to one place. Someone did actually have a battery pop in their hand got a little burn and it was a big safety event. I understand the need for safety but banning them because someone bought some bad batteries or built way to low on their knock off atty hardly seems like a reason to punish responsible people.

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015
They had several incidents concerning people vaping. I work on an oil rig so ignition sources are a very serious thing so smoking and vaping are normally contained to one place. Someone did actually have a battery pop in their hand got a little burn and it was a big safety event. I understand the need for safety but banning them because someone bought some bad batteries or built way to low on their knock off atty hardly seems like a reason to punish responsible people.

I hear that.

yelvington924

Mar 9, 2016

Beeker

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2015
Oklahoma
They're all flipped out because of the Deepwater Horizon incident...they do have a point though that e-cig batteries and battery devices used for vaping are not certified as 'intrinsically safe' (and in all likelihood will never be due to the high currents and temps necessary for vaping) and that's an oil and gas industry requirement for anything that runs on batteries (radios, flashlights, portable equipment, etc.) for anything that may be exposed to an explosive atmosphere...but the health nonsense is just to augment their position about the batteries.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaraC

yelvington924

Mar 9, 2016
There's a smoking area where smoking is allowed so i.s. Devices are not necessary... I don't think this was spawned by deep water horizon as much as dumb people having their mech mod firing in their bags on the helicopters and their lockers because they are irresponsible. It's just disappointing that this particular company didn't research anything to know that there are devices designed to shut off when they overheat. I can kind of understand but at the same time there are safe alternatives and that I guess is the disappointing part I really enjoy working on their platforms. They are a great company I just disagree with their stance on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i work offshore and one of the companies I work for has banned electronic cigarettes due to "safety concerns" but smoking cigarettes is allowed.does anyone have a thought on this or have come across this situation?
It's probably a result of the whole media"exploding batteries" thing we've been seeing everywhere because ppl don't get educated properly before using their equipment ,so now vaping is dangerous because of lack of education both to new vapors or ppl who don't know how to use their devices and don't care to learn, and lack of education about vaping in the media, so I'm not surprised. Sorry for the rant but geez ppl can be dense

Reactions: EBates

conanthewarrior

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Essex, England.
I think pretty much what has been said is true here.

The media selling stories (often distorted stories, such as the daily mail publishing an article about a E cig battery exploding-turns out they was not even IN the mod, but loose in the guys pockets).

I gather your boss has seen what can happen when people with no understanding of safety, end up using cheap batteries, Mechanical mods, low builds, or just stupidity.

I am very sure under average vaping conditions, and not extreme cloud chasing, is a much lower risk than a lit Cigarette for fires.

Is it possible to speak to someone you work with, explain Ohms law, your batteries CDR, that you are nowhere near stressing your batteries, and see if that helps?
Or is your boss more likely to believe the media? Sadly, this is often the case, to some people, newspapers don't lie :(.

yelvington924

Mar 9, 2016
I think pretty much what has been said is true here.

The media selling stories (often distorted stories, such as the daily mail publishing an article about a E cig battery exploding-turns out they was not even IN the mod, but loose in the guys pockets).

I gather your boss has seen what can happen when people with no understanding of safety, end up using cheap batteries, Mechanical mods, low builds, or just stupidity.

I am very sure under average vaping conditions, and not extreme cloud chasing, is a much lower risk than a lit Cigarette for fires.

Is it possible to speak to someone you work with, explain Ohms law, your batteries CDR, that you are nowhere near stressing your batteries, and see if that helps?
Or is your boss more likely to believe the media? Sadly, this is often the case, to some people, newspapers don't lie :(.

I do service work so unfortunately my boss has no say in it. We have to abide by the customers rules. The basic jist of the communication was these are dangerous if your people can't handle it they need to talk to their personal dr about getting off all of it. End of story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

element77

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Atl, Ga
^^This is my story in the same industry^^
Saddens me, because I've been vaping for four+ years and there was a golden time when I could vape at work indoors, in any place. I still vape the same way, around 10 watts, 80/20 pg/VG and stealth vaping is easy. Clouds were never my thing, but staying smoke free is...I've been told many times over this period, "just quit". Unfortunately Im about there, due to to the current climate.
But I do enjoy vaping so much

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
i work offshore and one of the companies I work for has banned electronic cigarettes due to "safety concerns" but smoking cigarettes is allowed.does anyone have a thought on this or have come across this situation?
I've heard of this on Oil rigs, it has more to do with Lithium batteries than smoking, cellphones are banned as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread