The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Q: Making my 510 completely black

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by wdave, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. wdave

wdave Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hi,

My 510 fits together with gold fittings, as I would expect. People say it looks like I'm smoking a pen. I suppose all ecigs kind of look like that. But the 510 is the worst I've tried so far.

So does anyone know how to treat the visible part of the gold fittings so they turn black (the color of my 510)?

Someone suggested painting. But I'm afraid I will clog the air holes. Can the gold be safely treated with a chemical that turns it black?

Thanks,
    Dave
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. framitz

framitz Moved On

May 24, 2009
    RSM, CA
    Permanent marker will last a while and not clog the holes unless it's applied very heavily.

3. firefly

firefly Full Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Disclaimer: I haven't done any of this to a PV (yet) but I do have a degree in metalsmithing so, for what it's worth, here's what I would try:

1) using masking tape, block off any areas that you want to keep the finish on.

2) starting with a med-fine grit wet-dry sandpaper (320, 400) carefully sand the gold finish down. This may not be gritty enough. You might have to start with 220 and move up to the 400. If you want a satin finish, you can stop at 400 or sand to 600 and then hit the metal with a Scotch-Brite pad (the green ones people use for scrubbing pans) to get your desired finish.

3) with a small paintbrush, paint thin layers of GunBlue (can be found at sporting goods stores) on the exposed metal, wiping the excess off with a cotton cloth after each swipe. Don't use too much GunBlue or your color will just flake off. Less is more!

4) if you want to try sealing the patina I'd recommend using a TINY amount of paste wax. Although, I'd probably just leave it and re-do the GunBlue when it wore down too much.

Hope that helps.

4. wdave

Jun 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Like I've said before...YOU GUYS DON'T MESS AROUND!

Thanks,
    :) Dave

5. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 17, 2009
    Arlington, Texas
    I used a black sharpie marker in January and it's still black.

6. nubee

nubee Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 24, 2009
    IL, USA
    Get a Janty Stick. Then you can 'smoke' a cell phone like everyone tells me I look like :)

7. wdave

Jun 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Sounds great and easy! I can try that now. Now let me see...there has got to be a sharpie around hear somwheres :)

Dave

8. Scubabatdan

Scubabatdan Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2009
    Dothan, AL
    You might try black ink pad ink. It stains well and last like the blueing does, but will wear off in time.

9. wdave

Jun 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Tried sharpie to no avail. Must be I have a different make of atty.

I was going to l live with the gold on my first batch of attys...the gold ring wasn't that wide.

But the gold ring on my last batch is 1/4 inch wide...so keep the suggestions coming :)

Thanks,
    Dave

10. firefly

firefly Full Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I would suggest scuffing the brass band lightly with some sandpaper. That alone will go a long way in making the color hang around.

11. Shadowdr

Shadowdr Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Nashville Tn.
    2 1/2 Use denatured alcohol to wipe any surface to be blued or it will not stick. Do not touch after alcohol or fingerprints will not take blueing.

12. span

span Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 9, 2009
    Kansas City, Ks, USA
    If you don't like the gold band on the titan atomizers, why haven't you bought different atomizers? Widow sells ones without the band

13. wdave

Jun 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    This is an old thread...I'm not sure exactly what I was thinking when I started it. I think I was actually complaining about the atty's where you could just see a thin gold rim around the ecig :)

Then I got some TITAN atty's with the wide band. I think they look less like a pen than those with just the thin gold rim. I can live with the wide
    gold band.

Thanks for trying to be helpful.

Dave

14. warp1900

warp1900 Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 17, 2009
    TX
    My suggestion is much easier:

Ignore those that tell you look like you are smoking a pen.
    They don't understand you might have saved your life by not smoking tobacco.

Second option:

Make yourself a BIG mod and vape in front of the same people that told you that, trust me, they will never mention it again. :D

____

15. wdave

Jun 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    How about this. I just wave my 510 with megapower batt around in the air and yell some Kung Fu jibberish :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.