Quality Control - Nicotine levels are not always what the bottle says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coulson

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2013
Behind you!
I came across this vid and wanted to share with everyone about the levels of nicotine in ejuice. Please watch and listen!
ejuice is what we put into our bodies and it MUST be at the highest level of QC standards. Think about this next time you order.

Has your ejuice been tested? Do you really trust your Ejuice vendor? Anybody can make a mistake, but do you want to pay for it?
Thoughts/Comments?

RT88

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2013
island fortress
i suspected as much. 20% variation is not good but not harmful. there are digital pipette delivery systems that can measure very small amts, like micrograms/L. say 12 mg/mL 1000 mL/L that would be 12,000 mg (12g) from X% solution. yes there is human error. an easy way to prevent these errors is to have two people read off the required amt to be dispensed and both verify verbally to each other, then dispense. 3 people even better, takes 10 seconds

ImThatGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
California
I trust my ejuice vendor. They actually opened their doors to their lab to the public to showcase how their juices are prepared. I was able to tour their lab and I was impressed. It looked like a real version of Umbrealla Corp without the evil zombies, mutations, monsters, etc.

Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/epic.ejuice.

I have not come across any juice vendor that has opened their operations to the public.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Doesn't make the message any less important. If the industry wants to escape legislation and rules that will negatively affect their business, the industry needs to do a stellar job of ensuring what they sell is accurately reflected on the label. To sell ejuice labeled as 6mg and find that it's 20% off does not give me warm fuzzy feelings for the future of the industry.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Doesn't make the message any less important. If the industry wants to escape legislation and rules that will negatively affect their business, the industry needs to do a stellar job of ensuring what they sell is accurately reflected on the label. To sell ejuice labeled as 6mg and find that it's 20% off does not give me warm fuzzy feelings for the future of the industry.

Doesn't make it true either.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Can't watch the video right now, but my inclination is that the overseer of the tobacco industry AND - key words - it's financial institutions - would be very motivated (and paid for, lock stock and barrel by those same financial institutions) to run down the e-cigarette industry. Anyone can sit and yap for a Youtube video. Without hearing what this bloke has to say, my immediate thought is "What's in it for them" as it should be for everyone who reads listens or watches any "information" show, and the conclusion? - Reynolds et al want to be the only producers licensed to provide the most basic stick e-cig, because they can (yeah yeah) "control" the exact ingredients.

Of course one can also guarantee there'll be a mish mash of all that other crap found in real cigarettes in there too. BUT! They will be deemed safe and if you want to buy them they'll only cost $25 a cartridge. Of course this is all predicated on whether their fellow shark in the toilet bowl - Big Pharmacy - doesn't wrest the control from their fellow slimy slugs - by claiming it needs to be medically controlled.

I don't argue against continuing quality control, but I'm too cynical to believe much other than this and it's my opinion only so rest easy:

1) For me: E-cigarettes are a heck of a lot safer than lighting up a cigarette.

2) The "big man" in all traditional institutions sweats bullets whenever even $5 of cash that he believes is his by right, and by any means possible, regardless of the health of the end user, ends up in someone else's hands.

There's a lot of "cut price" tobacco shops I've seen and it's imported direct from China....Now...if you really wanna talk about 50 mg nic in what's meant to be a 6 mg dose, where is all the outrage on that?

It's ALL about money. Period. The only thing that remains - for me - is ...Do I feel that current availability is a better quality alternative to what I used to smoke and was addicted to. The answer for ME is Yes. Would I feel more comfortable with the "quality control" of Reynolds, or Pfyzer in the nicotine delivery world? The answer for me is "Hell No".

Last edited:

SouthernBliss

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ga, USA
I listened to the video twice and actually was a bit confused by some of his statements. Early on he clearly states that the nicotine may be of from what "the device says it contains". He also states that were buying "pre-filled devices" and taking them apart to do the research. He never clearly states that they were doing tests on fluids from bottles at any point. Since they went in with pre conceived ideas about the variability of nicotine in the products I don't feel very guilty about questioning the relationship they are drawing from testing pre-fills and using e-liquids as a blanket term.

Then he moves on to how cheap and reasonable it is to test products with them. And no 50 bucks isn't bad until you consider that the vast majority of makers do it as ordered rather than doing big batches for shelving. The whole "as sold" production is one of the things that keeps costs down and I suspect that if the industry were to require large bulk batches from everyone we would have much less in the way of choices both in the number of companies and in the number of flavor options available from them.

I'm not sure if the speakers motivation is to drum up money or to mollify the tobacconists at the meeting at this point honestly but it sure did sound like he was trying to sell something.

I think rather than send him a bottle of juice and 50$ (especially since a test kit is only a few bucks) it might be more important to focus on measurement standards for produces and make that is idiot proof as possible.

shakeytails

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Kentucky, United States
50% !! outside 20% , yikes

Just a thought- what if the 50% error was on 6mg juice? That puts it anywhere from 3 to 9- big flippin' deal. I could, however, see a big problem if it's 36mg juice (which isn't commonly sold anyway) and it's tested at 50% over making it 54mg. That could be a little more of a problem.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
I trust my ejuice vendor. They actually opened their doors to their lab to the public to showcase how their juices are prepared. I was able to tour their lab and I was impressed. It looked like a real version of Umbrealla Corp without the evil zombies, mutations, monsters, etc.

Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/epic.ejuice.

I have not come across any juice vendor that has opened their operations to the public.

aromaejuice does-stop by and see them

DeeDubya

Jul 2, 2013
Crosslake, MN
Just a thought- what if the 50% error was on 6mg juice? That puts it anywhere from 3 to 9- big flippin' deal. I could, however, see a big problem if it's 36mg juice (which isn't commonly sold anyway) and it's tested at 50% over making it 54mg. That could be a little more of a problem.

50% over 20 % error not 20% exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread