The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Quandary on which kind of tank to buy...

Discussion in 'Carto Tanks' started by jjordan, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. jjordan

jjordan Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 5, 2014
    Fairbury, Nebraska
    I am looking at fast tech.com's website and I'm fairly new to vaping. I own 1. MVP 2.0 shine 1. Vamo v5 8. Smoktech VV and 2. Generic 650mAh batteries. My question for you more experienced vapers out there would a bottom coil system work better for me because with the tanks I currently own I keep getting a burnt tire taste except for the tank that came with my MVP shine and it is a bottom coil tank and I love the flavor and amount of vapor I get with it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

2. Pocha

Pocha Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I never got clearos to work consistently for me...bad hits, leaking/flooding. I never was interested enough to build coils so I just went with carto tanks and have been very satisfied. They're not perfect but they are more CONSISTENT and generally provide better flavor than clearos. A good beginner carto tank is this one:

SMOKTech Pyrex DCTank Glass DCTank

They also make a 3.5ml "slim" version.

They key to easy refilling is to use one of these:

Chrome DCT Refilling Drip Tip

http://bigdaddyvapor.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=52

Just my $.02. Good luck.

3. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    :thumb: +1 on the cartotank.

Clearomizers depend upon tiny silica to wick the juice to the coils. A moderate to heavy vapor can out-vape those strings' ability to carry enough juice to the coils, resulting in dry or burnt hits.

A cartomizer is literally full of cotton-like wick. Tough to out-vape all of that wick. More flavor and more consistancy. Trade-off is a little more time involved with the initial setup pre-filling the carto. Be sure to get a tank tool as in the above post.

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

IBTanked Cartotank Review

MVP_IBTanked.jpg IBTanked25mmsb.jpg

4. jjordan

jjordan Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 5, 2014
    Fairbury, Nebraska
    Thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated. :)

5. Patrick H

Patrick H Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    New Mexico
    I agree. I tried many, many BCC's and top coils and never found one I was happy with. I've been using solely carto tanks for over a year.

6. v1k1ng1001

v1k1ng1001 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Edinburg, TX
    I have a couple of protanks and they run well for a day or two. You can maybe eek out a few more days by cleaning and rewicking the flavor wicks.

Buuuuuut...once I learned to rebuild the coils and wick them with organic cotton, they're quite amazing.

7. jwag1973

jwag1973 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 9, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO.
    I prefer IBtanked brand cartotanks, they're the only tanks I use. They have Pyrex glass tubes and your choice of stainless steel or anodized aluminum end caps. Build quality is excellent, the price is too! They are available in various sizes that'll fit your needs regardless of the device you use. Good luck.

8. Mogy

Mogy Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 4, 2011
    Arkansas
    How is the tank hunt going?

9. Ripshod

Ripshod Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 15, 2014
    Goole, United Kingdom
    I'll have nothing said against the nautilus. Hasn't let me down once. After spending a little time with the initial setup I get flavorful clouds and zero leaks.

10. bully85

bully85 Full Member Verified Member

I switched from clearo's to carto tanks recently, and have to say how much nicer it is to not worry about the dreaded dry hit. Would definitely recommend.

11. donesmokin

donesmokin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    NE Oregon
    I've tried a good number of both top and bottom coil clearo's. @ 10 watts they just don't wick fast enough. I keep going back to carto tanks.

12. edyle

edyle ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

silica wick does not wick anywhere as well as fluffy cotton
    fluffy cotton wicks like a spong

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.