The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Question about AW IMR + Pila Charger

Discussion in 'Battery Issues' started by Nathanial, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Nathanial

Nathanial Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2011
    Michigan
    Hello,
    I just received a new Pila charger and two AW IMR batteries today. Normally, I charge my batteries with a Trustfire charger. I was expecting a charge time to be around 3 hours, but it took about an hour to an hour and a half, and both battery lights were green, in the Pila. I noticed the batteries were slightly warm. Off the Trustfire charger, they are never warm. Is this expected to be normal, or should I chuck the batteries out?

I promise I'm not trying to be overly-paranoid here, but I have no idea what I should be expecting off the Pila charger so far, based off past experience. Thanks :)

2. oplholik

oplholik ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

My batts come off the Pila warm also, I believe that it's normal.

3. Nathanial

Nathanial Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2011
    Michigan
    Excellent, I won't worry about it then. Thank you! :)

4. Switched

Switched ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    Warm is good Hot is not :)

5. NickZac

NickZac Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

The warm is due to the Pila's rapid charge state. As others said, if they get warm you are okay. If they get very warm to hot then you have a problem. However, if something is wrong with the battery, the Pila is very good at knowing this. Still, if you are paranoid, you may want to get a multimeter to check a consistent voltage upon charge at 4.2 volts as expected. And this way you can calm your fears of over-charge/discharge too. :)

6. Filibuster

Filibuster Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Same experience here. 1/2 the charge time, warm batteries. I absolutely love my PILA. I'm going to buy another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.