The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Question about fiddling my thingie...

Discussion in 'IBTanked' started by Anarchy84, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Anarchy84

Anarchy84 Super Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have two different IBTanked setups - one 19mm and one 22mm. For several months I was an absolute pro at 'fiddling my thingie' to prime cartos, but two out of the last three cartos I've primed this way ended up hopelessly flooded. Tried blowing out excess liquid numerous times but after a few draws it would be flooded again. Not sure why I'm having issues after doing this successfully a dozen or so times, but I have a question:

How do I know when to stop fiddling my thingie to avoid flooding? It seems to me that there's no golden number of times to fiddle before it's primed. I usually fiddle until I see a tiny drop of e-liquid come out of the 510 connector resting in the bottom of the thingie. Sometimes that happens after screwing the lid on 6 times, other times it happens after screwing it on 9 or 10 times. When should I stop to make sure it's perfectly primed but NOT flooded?

Also, do you recommend pausing between fiddles to let the e-liquid absorb, or do you fiddle continuously?

FYI I'm using dual punch Boge cartos (LR and SR) with 100% VG liquid that has been thinned for use in a tank. Same cartos / e-liquid I've successfully fiddled numerous times before.

2. daleron

daleron ECF Guru - TWR Co-Mod Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    Maybe bad carto's?
    Try putting your tank in the thingy the other way (up-side down) so you can see the filler through the bottom and you'll know better when you reach that magic moment. :)

I pause between fiddle's but don't know if it make's a difference or not :unsure:

3. Anarchy84

Anarchy84 Super Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Milwaukee, WI
    I never thought about fiddling the tank upside-down. If I continue to experience issues I'll definitely give that a shot. Thanks!

Any additional input / tips & tricks welcome.

4. daleron

daleron ECF Guru - TWR Co-Mod Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    Learned that trick from following OCD ;)

Sometime's I top the carto off by direct dripping the filler when I'm almost there, that might help you also :)

5. exnihilo

exnihilo Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    I've always found the smack yo mama type of fillers to be horrid, at best, compared to a little refilling tool I got from valley Vapes. Good luck! I don't where else to find what I have, but it's stupid simple. I can take a photo, once home, if you like.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. Anarchy84

Anarchy84 Super Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've got a tank tool from IBTanked to refill with. That's the easy part. My concern is with priming a fresh carto. :)

7. OCD

OCD Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    California, Kern
    I always put the tank in upside down primarily because it is easier to wipe out the cap than the bottom of the thingy if I do go a little too far. It also helps with unflanged cartomizers if the seal in the cap is pushing down on the top of the tank which can make the cartomizer slide up too far into the tank.

As far as how much to prime, stopping just before I actually get a drop seems to work best for me. The filler isnt quite to that slushy looking stage yet but you can see it is beginning to wet. Just take it out several times and look, when you see it getting wet around the edges stop there and see if that helps.

I can imagine that maybe one change that has happened recently is temperature, while your liquid and hole punching is the same maybe the viscosity has dropped a touch. Try not thinning with water or use a little less or back off on the number of holes for the warmer weather if this is indeed the case.

Barring all of that I would suggest trying another brand of cartomizer.

8. Anarchy84

Anarchy84 Super Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks for the help, OCD. I primed two cartos this morning (one upside-down and one right-side up) and both came out perfectly. I'll chalk up the two that came out flooded to bad cartos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.