Question about fiddling my thingie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarchy84

Jun 4, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
I have two different IBTanked setups - one 19mm and one 22mm. For several months I was an absolute pro at 'fiddling my thingie' to prime cartos, but two out of the last three cartos I've primed this way ended up hopelessly flooded. Tried blowing out excess liquid numerous times but after a few draws it would be flooded again. Not sure why I'm having issues after doing this successfully a dozen or so times, but I have a question:

How do I know when to stop fiddling my thingie to avoid flooding? It seems to me that there's no golden number of times to fiddle before it's primed. I usually fiddle until I see a tiny drop of e-liquid come out of the 510 connector resting in the bottom of the thingie. Sometimes that happens after screwing the lid on 6 times, other times it happens after screwing it on 9 or 10 times. When should I stop to make sure it's perfectly primed but NOT flooded?

Also, do you recommend pausing between fiddles to let the e-liquid absorb, or do you fiddle continuously?

FYI I'm using dual punch Boge cartos (LR and SR) with 100% VG liquid that has been thinned for use in a tank. Same cartos / e-liquid I've successfully fiddled numerous times before.

Last edited:

Anarchy84

Jun 4, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
I've always found the smack yo mama type of fillers to be horrid, at best, compared to a little refilling tool I got from valley Vapes. Good luck! I don't where else to find what I have, but it's stupid simple. I can take a photo, once home, if you like.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've got a tank tool from IBTanked to refill with. That's the easy part. My concern is with priming a fresh carto. :)

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
I always put the tank in upside down primarily because it is easier to wipe out the cap than the bottom of the thingy if I do go a little too far. It also helps with unflanged cartomizers if the seal in the cap is pushing down on the top of the tank which can make the cartomizer slide up too far into the tank.

As far as how much to prime, stopping just before I actually get a drop seems to work best for me. The filler isnt quite to that slushy looking stage yet but you can see it is beginning to wet. Just take it out several times and look, when you see it getting wet around the edges stop there and see if that helps.

I can imagine that maybe one change that has happened recently is temperature, while your liquid and hole punching is the same maybe the viscosity has dropped a touch. Try not thinning with water or use a little less or back off on the number of holes for the warmer weather if this is indeed the case.

Barring all of that I would suggest trying another brand of cartomizer.

Anarchy84

Jun 4, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
I always put the tank in upside down primarily because it is easier to wipe out the cap than the bottom of the thingy if I do go a little too far. It also helps with unflanged cartomizers if the seal in the cap is pushing down on the top of the tank which can make the cartomizer slide up too far into the tank.

As far as how much to prime, stopping just before I actually get a drop seems to work best for me. The filler isnt quite to that slushy looking stage yet but you can see it is beginning to wet. Just take it out several times and look, when you see it getting wet around the edges stop there and see if that helps.

I can imagine that maybe one change that has happened recently is temperature, while your liquid and hole punching is the same maybe the viscosity has dropped a touch. Try not thinning with water or use a little less or back off on the number of holes for the warmer weather if this is indeed the case.

Barring all of that I would suggest trying another brand of cartomizer.

Thanks for the help, OCD. I primed two cartos this morning (one upside-down and one right-side up) and both came out perfectly. I'll chalk up the two that came out flooded to bad cartos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread