Question about quad coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

betterthanyou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
southern california
Went to my local vape shop and there is a guy who works there that is experienced at making killer coils. I purchased an authentic Helios and asked him to throw a quad coil build on there.

From above it looks like two coils, one on each side, but I believe he used two strands of kanthal per coil. Does this make it a true 'quad coil'? it comes out to a little under 3 ohms. Any warmer of a vape and it would be too warm.

Is this a good build method compared to a build with 4 individual coils?

coilupload2222.jpg

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Went to my local vape shop and there is a guy who works there that is experienced at making killer coils. I purchased an authentic Helios and asked him to throw a quad coil build on there.

From above it looks like two coils, one on each side, but I believe he used two strands of kanthal per coil. Does this make it a true 'quad coil'? it comes out to a little under 3 ohms. Any warmer of a vape and it would be too warm.

View attachment 329235

haven't done any quads myself and technically not sure if they are considered a true quad but maybe he did them like that for airflow reasons. I think if you have just 2 side airholes this works better. as far as resistance both should be the same.

Keynith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Atlanta

View attachment 329235

3 ohms on a "quad coil" means each coil is 12 ohms. If he used two strands it would just be a double strand coil... A quad coil is 4 separate coils.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 3

GeorgeWachsmuth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2014
Riverhead, NY, USA
I think that would be called dual parallel-coils
Yes...that is exactly right! Rip has a video on this. I was able to make a quite amazing single coil using this method and 30 ga. It came out to 1.5 ohms or so. Wanted dense vapor and good flavor without going into the sub ohm cellar. Its easier down there...more of a challange at higher res. and using std. VV/WW devices. But this coil was better than twisted..or barrels...or knuckles...or diamonds..or.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread