The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Question about Smok Baby Beast coils

Discussion in 'Tanks, clearomizers and drop-in coils' started by Dana A, Feb 8, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Dana A

Dana A Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    Iowa
    I am new to this tank and drop in coils all together. Till now I had been using Genesis style tanks and rebuilding them myself for like the last 3 or 4 years. Anyway I had been using a .15 ohm single hole duel coil that was installed in the tank when it came. It was working great for 3 or 4 days at around 40 watts (sweet spot) with some DIY strawberry eliquid. I wanted to change flavors so I took the coil out and put it in a small plastic container to keep it from drying out so I could use it again for Strawberry later. It sat that way for maybe 3 days until I wanted to go back to strawberry so I cleaned the tank out and reinstalled the coil I had been storing. Now I have to run it at 80 watts to get the same amount of vaper it used to give me at 40 watts and it has hardly any flavor now no matter what wattage I run it at. The resistance says 0.152 and it before I changed it used to say 0.145 so a tiny bit of a change in res but not enough for that to be the problem I wouldn't think. Theoretically thinking on my part since the coil was still dripping wet when I put it back in the tank it should still work the same as before I changed it. Does anyone else store and reuse these coils like I did and if so have you had a similar problem? This is driving me crazy! If this is how it's going to be I would need like 10 tanks in order to not waste coils by storing them. Thanks in advance for any help I get:) I will check back in a little while

• Like Like x 1
  2. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Hi Dana and reusing could should work fine the way your describe. My limited personal experience with drop in coils is it doesn't always work out. Those Smok coils are pretty tightly packed with cotton. If you let them dry out, especially with a sweet juice you already vaped through it you might well have just gunked it up. While it should have been in ok it might have dried out more than you thought. If you're going to frequently switch coils you might want very small plastic containers you can put them in with a bit of liquid juice to keep it well saturated until the next use, essentially mimicking leaving them in a full tank.

I use the Q2 0.4 ohm coils with it and get decent life from a single coil of about 60-80 ml of retail juice through it, more with DIY with less flavoring. Drop in coils are simply not as convenient for frequent changes in juice like your own coil you can simply clean up and rewick. It is possible to simply transition from one juice to another by emptying the old and filling with new if the flavors are somewhat similar. There will be some overlap the first five or ten draws but then work fine after that. If they're really different types then different coils are your best option.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I haven't enjoyed great success with changing coils with flavor, either. I usually just run similar flavor profiles through whatever, or use the same juice per tank. But, that results in a lot of setups. Sometimes the coils just don't work the same if they've been sitting around dry for a while. Some fare better than others, but I just don't bother with it anymore....

Sorry you are frustrated. :(

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dana A

Dana A Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Thanks for the replies you guys. I think I will start looking for something super small that I can leave them in that will be as if in a full tank as someone said. I have 3 tanks but would need like 7 more to have all of my faves ready at all times. That's way to expensive for me after just buying 3 new mods to replace my old provari 2.5 set ups. Gotta have back ups for my back ups lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr. Relentless

Mr. Relentless Super Member

Oct 17, 2017
    I use drop in coils on my everyday juice and 2 drippers for flavor change. Any coil or cotton of mine that sits wet for 3 days usually jells up and is unusable.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AshKicker

AshKicker Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Chicago
    The coils resistance changing like that is normal at its heated and cooled. Your all good