Question about the Smok TPriv 220w

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbieishvaper

Apr 19, 2018
Alright, hopefully this makes sense. I’m still kind of new to vaping, and just purchased this kit after only having kangertechs. Everything was fine, and we got new juice, my man by one hit wonder. It tasted fantastic! My coil started burning out, so I put a new one in. After about a day or so it started tasting burnt every couple hits. I thought maybe I didn’t prime it properly, or jumped up the wattage too quickly with a new coil. My fiancé laughed and said I just vape too much.

So, I put a new coil in. Oh, they are the coils that come preninstalled in the vape. The .4 ones. So, one night I was looking around and reading stuff. I ended up reading the one hit wonder bottle and it says “only for use in devices with heat less than 400 Celsius. So I went into my mode and switched from watt to temp to look at it. I don’t think I changed any settings and left it as is because I got confused and closed out. It stayed on temp mode and the next time I hit it, it took a small hit, then flashed red and cut me off. It said something on the screen but I didn’t have time to read it. I switched back to watt mode after that and it hasn’t flashed red, however it doesn’t taste the same and still tastes burnt every few hits, more so if I chain vape like 3-4 puffs in a row.

Did I do something wrong? Or am I just burning through coils in a day or so? (I don’t smoke THAT much and haven’t had this issue in the past. I’ve had this mod for about 3 months now)

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It sounds like you could be getting dry hits, or getting close to burning your wicks, by either chain vaping or using too high of a wattage for the coils you are using. You didn't say what wattage setting you are using or what wattage range your coils are supposed to be used at.

FYI, SMOK coils allegedly have a reputation for short life expectancy. The SMOK coils use kanthal wire so they should never be used in TC.

newbieishvaper

Apr 19, 2018
The Smok coils either don't last very long or are a bad batch.
Since they are only used in wattage mode there is no need to check for the temperature, the temperature is only going to work in TC mode and not wattage mode.
Hth

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Could I have messed anything up being in temperature mode when I hit it and it cut me off?? Also, I just read while I was researching more while I wait for replies that you can cook your juice taking shorter hits, sometimes I accidentally let go of the fire button while hitting which makes my hot about 2-3 seconds and thinking about it now that’s usually when it tastes bad. If I take a 5-6 second hit it usually tastes good. Hmm

newbieishvaper

Apr 19, 2018
It sounds like you could be getting dry hits, or getting close to burning your wicks, by either chain vaping or using too high of a wattage for the coils you are using. You didn't say what wattage setting you are using or what wattage range your coils are supposed to be used at.

FYI, SMOK coils allegedly have a reputation for short life expectancy. The SMOK coils use kanthal wire so they should never be used in TC.
Oops! I have it at 50 watts, it says it’s best between 55-65. However previously before this happened I was vaping at 50 percextly fine. Also, I’ve been getting a burning feeling in my throat some hits as well which I haven’t gotten before. The ohm setting on my screen says 0.48 but it’s a .4 could that have anything to do with it?

• Optimistic

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
1496193156482.jpg

• Informative

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The ohm setting on my screen says 0.48 but it’s a .4 could that have anything to do with it?
It's not unusual for coil ohms to be off by that much, a normal accepted variance from what is advertised. A coil's resistance will gradually increase over time under normal conditions, too.

It still sounds like your coils can't keep up with the way you vape, meaning the cotton wick can't replenish itself with e-liquid fast enough to keep up with your vaping.

It could be your e-liquid is on the thicker side (high vg), very dark colored or very sweet (these liquids tend to gunk up the coils and wick more quickly), or the coils themselves are just poor quality.

Another thing, once a "coil" or wick is burnt, it is forever ruined. The juice left in the tank may also be burnt and need for the tank to be cleaned.

I'd like for you to watch this video to insure that you are "priming" and "breaking in" your new coils properly. The video is for a different tank than yours, but the principles involved are relevant for all tanks. I believe this to be extremely important for coil life.

newbieishvaper

Apr 19, 2018
It's not unusual for coil ohms to be off by that much, a normal accepted variance from what is advertised. A coil's resistance will gradually increase over time under normal conditions, too.

It still sounds like your coils can't keep up with the way you vape, meaning the cotton wick can't replenish itself with e-liquid fast enough to keep up with your vaping.

It could be your e-liquid is on the thicker side (high vg), very dark colored or very sweet (these liquids tend to gunk up the coils and wick more quickly), or the coils themselves are just poor quality.

Another thing, once a "coil" or wick is burnt, it is forever ruined. The juice left in the tank may also be burnt and need for the tank to be cleaned.

I'd like for you to watch this video to insure that you are "priming" and "breaking in" your new coils properly. The video is for a different tank than yours, but the principles involved are relevant for all tanks. I believe this to be extremely important for coil life.

Thank you! Thinking MORE about it now, when I first put this juice in I had the other coil my kit came with in it. It was a .15 octuple coil when it tasted best. Then when it burned I put the .4 coil in and have had this problem since (on my second .4 coil)

Anyways, my juice is 80vg/20pg, and I have not cleaned my tank so that I will try next before we get new coils again.

Thank you for the video I will watch it now!

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I have a smok tank and I wasn’t pleased with the coils myself. Sometimes I’d get a good one that lasted the better part of a week, and sometimes I’d get one that wound up burnt by the end of the day. Also had a Smok mod the Alien that lasted me all of three weeks before dying. I’m kinda biased against them at this point. If the problem continues and you know you’re priming the coils correctly, I’d look into different tanks. I’m using a Crown Uwell III right now that I’m happy with so far. Bonus that they’re stainless steel coils so I can mess around with temp control

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I use smok and love it. If you bought the tpriv as a kit, you got the big baby beast tank with it. I cant remember much about the coils for this as i traded my tank for something different. But, i did go and get the cloud king tank for it. I use coils in it that are .15 to .17 ohms. And i vape these at higher wattages. Ill get, on average, about a week from these coils. Ive got one now goin on a week and half. Its starting to taste kinda off now so ill be gettin a new coil in a day or two. I always clean the tank thoroughly when i change coils, even if im gonna run the same juice in it. A lot of folks dont like smok and dont mind telling it, lol. But ive been lucky i guess, had my tpriv 8 months now and its still goin strong. As far as a juice labled with info about what temp to vape it, ignore that. Shouldnt even be on a label as far as im concerned. Never heard of a flavoring that has a temp preference. Higher wattages are gonna get you a higher temp anyway. But, like the others said, you dont need to use the tpriv in temp mode with stock coils. The tpriv is indeed versatile though, and ive used several different tanks and rda's with it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, it sounds like it was "user learning" experience. By the way if you can get a good vape at LOWER than the "recommended" wattage, that's fine, and will likely extend coil life. Vaping above is not recommended.

I'm glad you are liking the other coil. Proper care and feeding of your coil (not chain vaping, vaping at a reasonable resistance, priming well) should all help coil life. Also some dark sweet or gunky juices are just coil killers, period.

Smok coils can be tricky and aren't known for insane longevity, but those using them correctly seem to have a much better time with their coil life.

Best of luck,

Anna

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Oops! I have it at 50 watts, it says it’s best between 55-65. However previously before this happened I was vaping at 50 percextly fine. Also, I’ve been getting a burning feeling in my throat some hits as well which I haven’t gotten before. The ohm setting on my screen says 0.48 but it’s a .4 could that have anything to do with it?

There's no problem at all with vaping below the recommended wattages. They're often exaggerated anyway because companies think people want to see higher numbers. The generally-recommended way to find the right wattage for you is to start well below the recommended wattage and increase it very slowly until you don't like it anymore. Then go back to where it was best.

As was said above, seeing 0.48 for a 0.4 coil isn't really a problem.

About the 400 degree warning, you can't use those coils in temperature control mode anyway and there's no effective way to limit your temperature. I think it's a legal but-covering warning. If you want to try temperature control, you'll need different coils made from stainless steel (usually - nickel and titanium can also be used, and a few other types are starting to appear) In short, I wouldn't bother worrying about it.

Thank you! Thinking MORE about it now, when I first put this juice in I had the other coil my kit came with in it. It was a .15 octuple coil when it tasted best. Then when it burned I put the .4 coil in and have had this problem since (on my second .4 coil)

Anyways, my juice is 80vg/20pg, and I have not cleaned my tank so that I will try next before we get new coils again.

It's likely that a higher wattage worked with the 0.15 coil than will work with the 0.4. What might have happened is that your original coil died, you switched to the 0.4 without realizing that a lower wattage would work better and quickly burned out that coil.

It sounds like you've got a good plan to go on with. Watch the video, clean out your tank and replace the juice, prime and install a new coil and then start low and work your way up. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread