Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
I know I have seen this asked somewhere on ECF but I can't remember and can't find it when I search so I apologize in advance for starting a new thread.

I have both the AW and the Ultrafire and on my Silver Bullet the AW hits waaayyy harder than the Ultrafire. Is this normal?

In short, yes, very normal, they are two completely different beasts. Someone will probably be by and give you the science behind it, but the IMR's deliver a more consistent voltage throughout their use due to their chemistry. The UF batts have over rated mAh ratings too.

plessdude

Verified Member
Jun 17, 2011
the burgh
I did a test for another thread. You might be interested in reading this.

That seems to be what I am seeing in real world usage. The IMR's are giving out about .4v more than the Ultrafire according to your data hence the more of kick i am experiencing with the IMR on the Silver Bullet. I would happily trade less battery life for more kick. I still seem to get 1.5 days of use on my IMR's which is more than I really need now that I have chargers and multiple batteries at home and the office.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
Turbo had it right but it's not the complete difference. An IMR battery will also deliver more power or watts.

The safe discharge current is rated as C for a continuous discharge .
For instance a 1C discharge of a battery rated at 900mA is 900 mA. In comparison, a 2C discharge of the same battery is 1800 mA.
Small lithium ion batteries are rated at about 1C and an aw 4500 IMR is rated at 8C

I like to vape at about 5 watts and use 2.6 to 2.8 ohm cartomizers. At 2.7 ohms. to get 5 watts I need a minimum of 1370 mA

So a 600 mA IMR battery will easily deliver the power or 5 watts that I want while a protected lithium ion 900 mA will be struggling to deliver that 5 watts.

The other major difference is that an IMR has safer chemistry and no protection. Not safe but safer. They may get hot really hot but don't explode.

For more info go to:
The High-power Lithium-ion – Battery University

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread