Question - end caps for GG = spring, metal plate, other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wegster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Just wondering how much room is left inside as 'slack' on the GG..have seen many pics, but for some reason, it's always *together* :lol:

Reason for asking - I *may* play around with making an insert disk for the GG, assuming the transformer comes out in the reasonably near future, to adjust the voltage down from the 6+ vDC.

Why? Because I want to. I've got an adjustable DC power supply somewhere, and may just try to find that, but if you saw my garage and workshop, it may well be lost...but either way, is there enough room in GG with a pair of CR2 batteries, to fit say, a 2-3mm disk inside and close up and operate normally?

I'm assuming this is the case, but... :confused:

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    gg-goldengreek.com
    Just wondering how much room is left inside as 'slack' on the GG..have seen many pics, but for some reason, it's always *together* :lol:

Reason for asking - I *may* play around with making an insert disk for the GG, assuming the transformer comes out in the reasonably near future, to adjust the voltage down from the 6+ vDC.

Why? Because I want to. I've got an adjustable DC power supply somewhere, and may just try to find that, but if you saw my garage and workshop, it may well be lost...but either way, is there enough room in GG with a pair of CR2 batteries, to fit say, a 2-3mm disk inside and close up and operate normally?

I'm assuming this is the case, but... :confused:

GG works like a swiss clock. I have trade every mm inside, so there is no waste of room. That means that you cant put anything there.

exept you buy GGtrans and add your adapters so you will make as room as you want

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    GG works like a swiss clock. I have trade every mm inside, so there is no waste of room. That means that you cant put anything there.

exept you buy GGtrans and add your adapters so you will make as room as you want

But....there's a spring on the atty adapter, which looks like it has several mm of give to it, no?

And sure, can always add a piece in as well from the xformer, as you say..

Caesar may be right from a quick PM we just swapped..it may be thicker than what I was hoping. Will see :)

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    gg-goldengreek.com
    But....there's a spring on the atty adapter, which looks like it has several mm of give to it, no?

And sure, can always add a piece in as well from the xformer, as you say..

Caesar may be right from a quick PM we just swapped..it may be thicker than what I was hoping. Will see :)

spring can "take" 2 mm not more. You said 3, so its a problem. But with the trans you have no problem at all

Fred

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2009
    Belgium
    I got used to the 6V.
    When my batteries are weaker and soon reaching the cut-off voltage: I am getting around 5V (and I am not fully satisfied anymore) and first thing I do is to swap them with the other freshly charged set of batteries...

I was bothering Imeo too for 5V in the past, you remember that ;)
    But now I wouldn't even use a mod to do that on my GG.

It's specific of the GG and how Imeo designed it I believe. Maybe 5V is good on another device but in our case 6V just feels perfect (as already said: like an analog).

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    gg-goldengreek.com
    I got used to the 6V.
    When my batteries are weaker and soon reaching the cut-off voltage: I am getting around 5V (and I am not fully satisfied anymore) and first thing I do is to swap them with the other freshly charged set of batteries...

I was bothering Imeo too for 5V in the past, you remember that ;)
    But now I wouldn't even use a mod to do that on my GG.

It's specific of the GG and how Imeo designed it I believe. Maybe 5V is good on another device but in our case 6V just feels perfect (as already said: like an analog).

I thought that this post was mine!!! exactly:thumb:

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 23, 2009
    PA,USA
    Since April till now save for 2 weeks, I haven't burned out a single atom as of yet. GG is not like the Prodigy. Maybe the very 1st GG ever made was close to it but that was a drop out, save for the button placement. People read way too much into Cashmere's words. I cant stress enough how annoying it is hearing the words "sweet spot" circulate like a bunch of hounds at a race now. When the Prodigy video was made, Cash said how extraordinary vaping at 6 volts was through out the whole thing and everyone bobbed their heads "ooo 6 volts yes" Everybody, Don't be lemmings, if you noticed everyone that has a GG is 100% satisfied. There are No real problems.

ps. Forgive me, I dont mean to be mean but this is the Truth.

1000164jgd.jpg

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    You probably just like to tinker I'm thinking! :D

That too :)

If I had Imeo's obvious machining skills, I wouldn't be asking, but I don't...so will leave it at - "I like to know what there is to know." Even if I may chase my own tail for a while or come full circle. :)

One could reasonably suggest though, that 3.6v/~3.6 Ohm resistance = ~1amp roughly flowing through a 'regular e-cig coil,' in an ideal world (with somewhat fudge numbers, most attys I've measured are slightly lower resistance, and USB2 (for a straight passthrough) spec says max of 500mA. I'm unsure (right now) of max battery discharge rates, but for sake of argument...

6v/3.6Ohm resistance = ~ 1.67 amps, up to whatever max current is from battery or power source, so a *potential* increase that's not insignificant. What does that do for heat? My electronics is really fuzzy right now, but I think it's P = E x I, so that gives us:
    'stock' e-cig: max of 3.6 Watts.
    6v e-cig, same atty: max of ~9.7 Watts.

I'd say it gets 'significantly hotter' across that coil, even with some limits in place. But wait, let's look at the 18650, random google:
    Max. Discharging current: 4.6 A max

So, while USB amperage may be limited to less than the circuit 'should have by numbers,' the 18650 *can* provide, easily, the above current to the atty, and I'd bet the regular e-cig batteries can match the prior numbers, at least before they're in need of recharge.

Unsure if there's w ay to directly correlate this to temperature at the coil, but I'd wager triple the wattage results in 'climbing the ladder' here:
    (crap, can't find one with the lower spectrum offhand, but for example purposes, it's fine.. :D ).

C F Color

400 752 Red heat, visible in the dark
    474 885 Red heat, visible in the twilight
    525 975 Red heat, visible in the daylight
    581 1077 Red heat, visible in the sunlight
    700 1292 Dark red
    800 1472 Dull cherry-red
    900 1652 Cherry-red
    1000 1832 Bright cherry-red
    1100 2012 Orange-red

What's it mean? Dunno, maybe just some numbers. But, it does make me want to play a bit, at the very least :D

mamu

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    IN USA
    What's it mean? Dunno, maybe just some numbers. But, it does make me want to play a bit, at the very least :D

You guys and you're tinkering with things hahaha!!

Just give me something that works, that lasts, and makes me happy.

That's what I really like about the GG - it works, it will last, and it makes me very very happy.

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Since April till now save for 2 weeks, I haven't burned out a single atom as of yet. GG is not like the Prodigy. Maybe the very 1st GG ever made was close to it but that was a drop out, save for the button placement. People read way too much into Cashmere's words. I cant stress enough how annoying it is hearing the words "sweet spot" circulate like a bunch of hounds at a race now. When the Prodigy video was made, Cash said how extraordinary vaping at 6 volts was through out the whole thing and everyone bobbed their heads "ooo 6 volts yes" Everybody, Don't be lemmings, if you noticed everyone that has a GG is 100% satisfied. There are No real problems.

ps. Forgive me, I dont mean to be mean but this is the Truth.

1000164jgd.jpg

Sorry, this is sort of funny in a way. (the don't be lemmings part).

Ohms law doesn't change because Steve made the Prodigy, or because Imeo made the GG. I didn't say anyone with a GG isn't happy, but to believe someone a 'lemming' who is thinking thoughts of their *own*, versus 'there are no problems'... umm... ? :confused:

This has *nothing* to do with the prodigy, whatsoever. I think the GG is a beautiful piece of machinery.

However, this statement:

is also not 'the truth.' A circuit's functioning is determined by the voltage, amperage, and resistance. If you supply the same of each, between two devices, they function THE SAME. Sorry, but this is 'The Truth.' Now, there can be resistance that's 'unintended or unexpected,' or even unaccounted for within a circuit (poor solder or soldering, dirty contacts, flaky switches), but having said that, neither Imeo's GG nor the Prodigy or *any* other "battery mod," no matter how well crafted, is going to break Ohms law. :)

And that is indeed 'The Truth.' :-/

Sheesh, going to be going to sleep now. I'm quite glad you're happy with the GG, and wish I were able to have mine ordered right now. However, that doesn't change any of the above, nor should you think it's meant to because someone asks some questions that counter your beliefs...night!

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    You guys and you're tinkering with things hahaha!!

Just give me something that works, that lasts, and makes me happy.

That's what I really like about the GG - it works, it will last, and it makes me very very happy.

Yes..don't ask how many forced induction systems I've been through before one 'that works' :D Imeo's GG is nice in it's simplicity - no wiring, no (lead free :-/ ) solder, and is very nice in it's machining, I've no doubt it will far outlast many many attys plugged into it :)

scrubadub

ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2008
    London, UK
    When the Prodigy video was made, Cash said how extraordinary vaping at 6 volts was through out the whole thing and everyone bobbed their heads "ooo 6 volts yes" Everybody, Don't be lemmings, if you noticed everyone that has a GG is 100% satisfied.

I wasn't 100% satisfied with my 6V GG at all. That's why I changed mine to a Nano. I wasn't vocal about it on here but I discussed it at length with Tim and arranged a swap. 6V was way too harsh and was killing my atomisers.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 23, 2009
    PA,USA
    Don't get the wrong idea, Weg, that post was not directed solely at you :)
    "is also not 'the truth.' A circuit's functioning is determined by the voltage, amperage, and resistance. If you supply the same of each, between two devices, they function THE SAME. Sorry, but this is 'The Truth,"
    Ah but it isn't because the voltage, amperage and all that other fun stuff are completely different between these two that we're comparing. The only similarity is the functioning. We're not supplying both with the same elements.

mamu

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    IN USA
    Yes..don't ask how many forced induction systems I've been through before one 'that works' :D Imeo's GG is nice in it's simplicity - no wiring, no (lead free :-/ ) solder, and is very nice in it's machining, I've no doubt it will far outlast many many attys plugged into it :)

Please don't be offended. I'm just a girl who simply likes what works.

Imeo himself will be the first to point out that the GG has gone through several changes to finally get it to where it is now.

He's tinkered with what works and what didn't and made changes based on that.

I don't think anyone is saying that your questions are implying anything other than that you are curious and want to check it out.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 23, 2009
    PA,USA
    I wasn't 100% satisfied with my 6V GG at all. That's why I changed mine to a Nano. I wasn't vocal about it on here but I discussed it at length with Tim and arranged a swap. 6V was way too harsh and was killing my atomisers.

Hey scrub, was missing ya there for a while, using a 901 compared to an adapter makes a world of difference. Believe me on that. I been trialing the 510 for the past 2 weeks and now on day 3 of the 801. At this moment I switched back to a 901 and its like taking steps backwards, with the atom getting hot, actual feel being harsh, and I just want to cough. The warm sweet vapor is there along with good flavor touch but still, I'm not feeling it. I hope to see ya around more, I miss ya:)

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    gg-goldengreek.com
    scrubadub, no problem for the change but 6v are 6v so they needs our attention. Wet and good quality attys are required. But if you are happy now, I am happier

Weg, oms law has not changed but you forgot 2 things. The cross section of a channel and the material's resistance.

1) GG has big cross sections and not little wires for the current flow.

2) As for the material, its aluminium in both situations but it depends what aluminium is. Hard, soft, it's treatment, if it's mixing with other materials etc. Do you know how mixing or threatment affects the resistance?

So there are 2 points we must focus and fred is right because for GG the existing combination is exelent.

If you disagree please tell me:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread