Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
For vapers who have quit smoking using e-cigs: Were you able to quit the first time around and what did you use?

Here are the options:

1. Yes, I started with cigalikes, used them until I quit smoking, and have not resumed smoking.
2. Yes, I started with 2nd or 3rd generation PVs, used them ‘til I quit smoking, and have not resumed smoking.
3. No, I started out with cigalikes and they didn't work for me. I later quit using more advanced PVs.
4. No, I started out with 2nd or third generation PVs and they didn't work for me. But I was later able to quit.
5. Other (please explain)

(I'm asking because most of the studies on the effectiveness of e-cigs for smoking cessation don't take into account what products are being used by smokers making their first quit attempt and also because some of these studies are are more like static snapshots as opposed to full length movies.)

EDIT: Seeing some of the initial responses, I realize there's a flaw in my methodology. Nos. 3 and 4 should take into account that on the first attempt some people never quit entirely and were dual users the whole time. The "went back to smoking" phrase rules out that possibility. I think 3 and 4 should have left out "and I went back to smoking." So should I ask the mods to shut down this thread and start over, edit the OP or just let it run its course?

FURTHER EDIT: I edited it. Executive decision. p.s. I'm a No. 3.

Last edited:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN

I tried cigalikes and an ego kit that belonged to friends. Knowing they wouldn't work for me I thought something with more umph might have a chance at aiding In eliminating smoking in certain situations.

My first kit was a vamo, a vivi nova, a protank and an igo-l. I struggled terribly with it but decided to attempt quitting. I would vape at every urge until it was uncontrollable. 2 weeks later I'd officially quit though urges where still often over whelming.

I've since stepped up my vape game and my nic to the point nothing I regularlt use is readily obtainable even now.

Sent from my device.

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
I started with eGo-C. Went down to 5 smokes a day the first week. Did that for a month then got down to one a day for two more months. Then I bought a MVP2 and forgot to smoke for 3 days. Then I thought I did not want to ruin my 3 days without a smoke so I just quit. Never intended on quitting. I just wanted to vape to cut back from a 42 year 2 pack a day habit. Close to one year smoke free and it still amazes me that I don't smoke. Have spent thousands on vaping for my wife and my self but I never want to go back to smoking. My doctor is thrilled with me. Said I have never been so healthy. CHEERS!

PS: Wife used to be on 3 puffers, four times a day. She no longer uses any puffers.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
1. Yes, I started with cigalikes, used them until I quit smoking, and have not resumed smoking.

I actually did quit, using my eRoll. My first full day smoke-free, I got my iTaste vv3. My reward! :D

There were some complications of my non-smoker status, 3+ months down the road, but they had nothing whatever to do with my equipment -- except the biological equipment inside me, when my appendix broke. :D I used my eRoll again when I quit that time, too, because it muted the flavors enough that I could stand to vape until I got my taste back for it -- then once again I switched to more powerful devices.

Andria

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia

Well…that’s not totally true. I tried a 3-piece Joye 510 kit in about 2009, and I couldn’t get it to work most of the time. I tried ecigs again in 2012. This time I got a Mistic starter kit from Walmart. I used these cigalikes and smoked for about three weeks. Then one afternoon I was just plain too lazy to go buy more cigarettes. I haven’t smoked one since.

J.R.

Last edited:

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I actually did quit, using my eRoll. My first full day smoke-free, I got my iTaste vv3. My reward! :D

There were some complications of my non-smoker status, 3+ months down the road, but they had nothing whatever to do with my equipment -- except the biological equipment inside me, when my appendix broke. :D I used my eRoll again when I quit that time, too, because it muted the flavors enough that I could stand to vape until I got my taste back for it -- then once again I switched to more powerful devices.

Andria

Andria, you win the prize for the most complicated quit story and I'll have to create a special category for you. ;)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Andria, you win the prize for the most complicated quit story and I'll have to create a special category for you. ;)

I was just delighted that I had been smoke-free for over 3 months, when I had to have the gen'l anesthesia -- as a smoker, with asthma, having gen'l anesthesia would have probably meant a week in the hospital -- but since my lungs were clear, I got to go home THE SAME DAY. :thumbs: I'd call that a MAJOR win!

This 2nd time around -- I caught a cold last week, when I had just hit 3 months smoke-free again -- a week later, that cold is nearly gone, which would DEFINITELY not have been the case, when I smoked -- a cold and all the crud in my lungs would last a good 6 wks. This time -- no crud in my lungs WHATEVER! :shock:

Andria

PapaSloth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2014
Portland, OR, USA
5. Other (please explain)

I started with a Kanger EVOD. It was good enough for the first week or two to get me off cigarettes, but I soon moved up to a Kayfun lite plus V2 and mech mod, and from there moved on to a 26650 mod and Big Buddha. That was my sweet spot, and I'm up to 4 Big Buddhas and 4 2six clones.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    #5 - I started with a Vapor Zeus for 1 month, then found the MVP2 and used it for3 months, now using the Eleaf Istick . I quit smoking cigarettes the first day I started vaping. I smoked cigarettes for 45 years, 2 packs or more a day. I tried every way possible to quit but nothing worked until I tried vaping. 5 months cig free and feel so much better health wise. People tell me I look better also.

rgerber

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 30, 2014
    Prescott, AZ USA
    After smoking pipes and cigars since 1955 (hell yes I inhaled) I went the BIG BABY ROUTE. I started with Chantex and Well Butrin on May 8th of this year and set my quit date for May 22. I took the meds for 12 weeks. Then I went though nicotine hell until September 22. No tobacco products of any kind. Since nobody would let my cranky ... anywhere near them, I investigated vaping, went to a local B&M and picked up and MVP and some 24 mil juice. Instant gratification and satisfaction. I can never see myself going back to the analog side ever again. In additions to the MVP, I picked up a VTR and finally 5 different epipes I love. They are like having an old girl friend back except they don't ..... all the time and want to be taken some place all the time. Still using the 24 mil nicotine and see no reason to change at this time.

So, this old man is a happy vapor...still cranky...but happy if that makes any sense. My Dr. signed off on my new hobby, my wife of 53 years let's me in the house, once in a while and people will let me in the same room now. I smell good, so I'm told and smokers smell really bad these days. I've introduced two other to the sport.

Reverend Dickie

PS

Not inhaling a pipe or a cigar would be the same, for me, as not swallowing a mouthful of good scotch!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread