Question on Alcohol in vape liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark M

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2018
London UK
Dear Gang,

Hope your all well and enjoying your Christmas!

So, here's a thing, I ordered some new vape juice called unicorn milk and a mango one from the same company.

I checked out the ingredients and it mentions ethyl alcohol, I'm guessing this is used as a preservative like in a cough syrip. However, will alcohol get into my system or will as when being cooked in a meal the alcohol be burnt off in the vaping process?

I'm actually 17 years in recovery from alcohol, praise God!

And as well as attending AA regular meetings I set up and help run a volunteer support service at a local hospital outside work, helping people struggling get into recovery when they want help and have ended up in hospital. So, although Im totally cool having alcohol in a main meal for example, ie a white wine or brandy sauce etc. As when cooked its burnt off. I avoid cold deserts with alcohol in for obvious reasons lol.

As I'm keen to try these flavours I wondered what the score is, and I noticed some of my other juices that I havent tried actually have alcohol too.

Obviously it can't be really "intoxicating" or they wouldn't.be able to sell it lol. But as an alcoholic in recovery that is vapping a lot, wondered if there was any science or knowledgeable opinion out there on this?

Ie is it tiny amount and / or the heat of the coils will burn off the alcohol.

I'm just a bit worried as unlike a cooking sauce I will be inhaling the "burnt off" alcohol (if it is) and don't know if its rendered harmless already at that point?

I can obviously just avoid the ones with alcohol, but don't want to miss out on some nice brands and flavours unesersarily. Cheers and much love, M

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Ethanol is one of several fluids that can be used as a base for vaping. It’s not a very good base as it produces a very hot vape and vaporizes at a different temperature than other ingredients so it tends to cause issues. It is sometimes used as a thinner to make liquids more watery, at which it is effective in very small amounts. Vaping alcohol creates vaporized alcohol which can get into the bloodstream very fast. As you are in recovery, my advice would be to simply avoid juices containing alcohol as it is very difficult to determine the amount used and thus the effects. There are literally hundreds of juice brands out there and ethanol is a fairly uncommon ingredient, so I doubt you’ll have much trouble avoiding it.

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
One thing you can do with these juices is to take the cap off the bottles and also the unicorn tip if it has one and and let the juice "breathe" for about 10 to 12 hrs, any alcohol will evaporate.
Yep, good advice. I've done that in the past with some concentrates I had which had alcohol in them. Was a while ago, they were rubbish and I cant even remember the brand. Thats how impressive they weren't.

Reactions: Mark M
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread