Question on battery/carto sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason McRoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2012
Tampa, FL
Hello everyone! I have a few questions regarding battery and carto compatibility.

I tried to search through the forums for an answer and just found myself getting really confused.

When one speaks of a thread size of 510, am I correct in thinking these are the typical smaller e-cigs that look most similar to an analog?

I ask because I have a Blu starter kit I bought about 4 months ago and found a local store that sells the smaller e-cigs and cartos for that style. They also sell the larger E Go style kits as well. Will their cartos for the smaller e-cigs fit and work correctly on my Blu batteries? I would like to buy those for my wife to use with my Blu kit if it will work rather than buying a whole new kit for her to use. (she doesn't want the larger size VP) I will be getting the larger size VP for myself.

What is the thread size of the larger E Go type batteries/cartos?

Thanks!

-Jason

PittBoss

Vaping like a boss
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2012
Lincoln, NE
The Blu thread size is listed as L88, but a 306 or 510 threaded carto will work on there. The thread size is just to signify which type device it will be compatible with. Most smaller analog look-a-like ecigs are not 510 threading until you get closer to the "slim" types, then they are usually called "something or another 510 " or the like. The eGo type batteries are 510 threaded and a lot of other PVs are as well.

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
I started off with the Blu, and I ordered refillable cartomizers for it from someplace other than Blu or Johnson Creek.
Blu and eGo's are both 510 threading. I THINK I bought 2.0 ohm cartomizers for my Blu. But it's been awhile back and not positive about that. I'm sure someone else will come on here and either agree with me, or tell you what ohm you need. The one thing you have to make sure of is to get the right ohm cartomizers for it.

PittBoss

Vaping like a boss
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2012
Lincoln, NE
I started off with the Blu, and I ordered refillable cartomizers for it from someplace other than Blu or Johnson Creek.
Blu and eGo's are both 510 threading. I THINK I bought 2.0 ohm cartomizers for my Blu. But it's been awhile back and not positive about that. I'm sure someone else will come on here and either agree with me, or tell you what ohm you need. The one thing you have to make sure of is to get the right ohm cartomizers for it.

I could be wrong, also, but I want to say the standard resistance were the ones you want..look at us be conflicting, lol! I just did a bit of reading a while ago for another thread that was on here today and could have sworn it said to make sure to grab the SR cartos..but I never had a Blu, so what do I know!

Hope it all works out for you, Jasonmcroy!

Jason McRoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2012
Tampa, FL
Out of curiosity, do you happen to know the mah rating of the Blu batteries that you have?

No I don't. I even looked in the original box the starter kit came in but it doesn't really say anywhere that I could find. If you happen to come across the answer I would be interested in knowing too.

Jason McRoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2012
Tampa, FL

bo jonson

Jul 13, 2010
Color-Ahhhh-doh!
I got so frustrated when I first used that starter kit. I didn't know what the problem was. I thought I was doing something wrong! lol

That's the main reason folks give up after trying the 'starter' kits! I bought 2- KR808 batteries, cartos & charger case from V4L, like 2 years ago for maybe $50. Back then I was underwhelmed with the performance of the cartos. I tried refilling 'em with some juice but they were still meh. So I built myself a little 2AA box with a 3.7v 14500 900mAH battery. Although it lasted longer, there wasn't much difference- taste was ok, feel was wimpy & definitely none of those PLUMES we all see on youtube!

At that time there wasn't much talk about ohms as far as cartos went. After going back to Coughin' Nails, I recently dug out my KR808's and measured the batteries & cartos- yup, 3.8v charged but 3.1-3.2 ohms for the heaters! Determined to have another go at vaping without spending $100 (I am not a QUITTER!), I ordered some LR blanks [a 1.5, a 1.8 & 2.0 ohm]. What a big difference! Not PLUMES but definitely more satisfying immediately. I'm thinking this could work, especially SINCE I DON'T.

A 3.1 ohm cart on a fully charged batt makes about 4.7 Watts for heating the juice. Dropping to 1.5 ohms gives 9.6 Watts. The 1.5 ohm burned out after 2 weeks. I think the viscosity of the juice was too high for the filler material to feed that heat.The 'sweet spot' for my VG juice seems to be the 1.8 ohm cart giving me 8 watts of heat.
[Ohm's Law: V= IxR where I is Amps of current; W= I^2 x R or V^2/R where W is watts of power. V is Volts, R is ohms]

I think my next purchase is going to be a 'Hybrid' cart/atomizer with ss mesh instead of fiber for wicking. They're $9 at CloudsofVapor but only 1.5 or 2.0 ohms:( Probably go with the 2.0 for my skinny XL batt. For my lil box I might try the Saphire Bud tank/atomizer from vapingzone (2fer $7!) Interesting thing with these is they give you an option for VG juice or PG/blend.
That'll be the next thing we have to factor in... things keep gettin' better!

And Jason- if you haven't already decided, I'd go with a 2.5 ohm 510 cart for your blu. You might have to charge the batt sooner but it's worth it, especially if you're using that 226 mAh batt. [3.8v/2.5 ohms=1.5A current; divide .226Ah by 1.5A gives 0.149 hrs and that's about 9 minutes of heating] Sounds wimpy I know, but that's about 100, 5 second drags. A Std Resistance cart @3.1 ohms is only going to yield 11 minutes. The wattage is what counts for making vapor.

bo jonson

Jul 13, 2010
Color-Ahhhh-doh!
I THINK I bought 2.0 ohm cartomizers for my Blu. But it's been awhile back and not positive about that. I'm sure someone else will come on here and either agree with me, or tell you what ohm you need. The one thing you have to make sure of is to get the right ohm cartomizers for it.

Quite right Kay. A 2.0 -2.5 cart would be a good choice. An SR cart (~3.0 ohms) is the usual trade off type included with 'starter kits'. They give a reliable (if not impressive) first taste of vaping. You taste something (usually T'bac or Menthol),see some exhaled "smoke" & get a dose of Nicotine. Nowhere near an analog and sure to disappoint the packaday hardcore smoker. I read somewhere that the smokers who try vaping with starter kits & throw-aways, revert in large part because of that limp first experience and the cost of entry. That's me.

But I didn't quit (in both senses). I did more research, built myself a little box (courtesy of Ken Beutel), tried some different juice flavors/strengths..... But it was still easier & more satisfying (good ol' American instant gratification) to buy a $5 pack of coughin' nails and try to ration them. But now I'm trying again, having lurked here on ECF for the past 2 years, and finding the prospects are looking better!

The choices in available cartomizers (ohms,features,etc) have exploded. And you are right about getting the "right" ohms. After initially failing to find Joye (pun intended), I tweaked what I had by adding some LR carts and found the next step to Nirvana (not that I Know where THAT is).

bo jonson

Jul 13, 2010
Color-Ahhhh-doh!
Hello everyone! I have a few questions regarding battery and carto compatibility. I tried to search through the forums for an answer and just found myself getting really confused.
When one speaks of a thread size of 510, am I correct in thinking these are the typical smaller e-cigs that look most similar to an analog? What is the thread size of the larger E Go type batteries/cartos?

That's a familiar question & problem I had a while ago. I have a KR808 kit with 2 batts and a box-mod I made with a 510 batt connector & 510-808/901 adapter. The forum search function at ECF is lame (or I just don't know how to optimize it). But I remember reading some pretty detailed info on connections & their thread dimensions (compatibility,diameter,pitch,etc). Sorry I don't have that thread/post.

The most popular "connectors" are the 510/306[female batt/male atty] and the KR808/901[male batt/female atty]. Unless your 'starter kit' has proprietary connections (as PitBoss said Blu doesn't), the basic choice for newbies is: male carto=>510,female carto=>808. Either that or continue to buy from your original seller... they love that built in customer base!

Jedipapa

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Florida
Quite right Kay. A 2.0 -2.5 cart would be a good choice. An SR cart (~3.0 ohms) is the usual trade off type included with 'starter kits'. They give a reliable (if not impressive) first taste of vaping. You taste something (usually T'bac or Menthol),see some exhaled "smoke" & get a dose of Nicotine. Nowhere near an analog and sure to disappoint the packaday hardcore smoker. I read somewhere that the smokers who try vaping with starter kits & throw-aways, revert in large part because of that limp first experience and the cost of entry. That's me.

But I didn't quit (in both senses). I did more research, built myself a little box (courtesy of Ken Beutel), tried some different juice flavors/strengths..... But it was still easier & more satisfying (good ol' American instant gratification) to buy a $5 pack of coughin' nails and try to ration them. But now I'm trying again, having lurked here on ECF for the past 2 years, and finding the prospects are looking better!

The choices in available cartomizers (ohms,features,etc) have exploded. And you are right about getting the "right" ohms. After initially failing to find Joye (pun intended), I tweaked what I had by adding some LR carts and found the next step to Nirvana (not that I Know where THAT is).

A LR carto will fry a blu battery. Their batteries are one 80mah and 220mah

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread