Status
Not open for further replies.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
CASAA: Call to Action! Vermont Bill to Ban Sale of E-Cigarettes (including to adults)

I see there is a call to action for vermont which says they are to ban both sales and possesion of ecig by adults.

But when I go to the PDF (the actual bill presented) the phrase "and tobacco substitutes" is striked thru in every instance.
http://www.leg.state.vt.us/docs/2014/bills/Intro/H-632.pdf

Are ecigs considered tobacco substitutes in VT, and if so, does that mean they are not part of the bill?

Also in the bill as regards actual tobacco products, I can't find anything about adults not being allowed to possess ecigs, the bill says people under the age of 18.

Which is differnet than what is contained in the first section, i guess i"m not reading it right

Last edited:

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
The reason why "tobacco substitutes" is stricken through so many places is because this bill would make it illegal to sell "tobacco substitutes" so the other provisions wouldn't apply. Here's the section of the bill that would make the sale of e-cigarettes illegal:

Sec. 1. 7 V.S.A. § 1012 is added to read:11
12 § 1012. TOBACCO SUBSTITUTES; ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES
13 (a) A person shall not sell or possess tobacco substitutes.
14 (b) A person who violates subsection (a) of this section shall be subject to a
15 civil penalty of not more than $100.00 for a first offense and not more than
16 $500.00 for a second or subsequent offense.

Under current law, tobacco substitute is defined as:

(8) "Tobacco substitute" means products including electronic cigarettes or other electronic or battery-powered devices that contain and are designed to deliver nicotine or other substances into the body through inhaling vapor and that have not been approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration for tobacco cessation or other medical purposes.

The Vermont Statutes Online

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
This is a draft that has been registered (H.632).

2 Introduced by Representatives Koch of Barre Town, Grad of Moretown, and
3 Krowinski of Burlington
4 Referred to Committee on
5 Date:

At this point, letters to these individuals and newspapers would be helpful. If a resident, write to the Representative of the residence's location.

This is one of those instances where having a Regional Rep comes in handy. A resident of the location has a State Representative, and addresses for news organizations, etc. to write to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread