question regarding coil diameter and burn cotton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2014
USA
been using rda and mech mod for 2 yrs or something link that. i wanted more consistent vape, so i got a regulated mod. along with regulated mod, i build my simple coil to 3mm diameter instead of my usually 2.3mm diameter.

i'm used to smaller diameter and know when to stop pulling on it, before the cotton start burning. now with larger diameter, i can't tell when to stop puffing. it seems there is juice left on the cotton, but i'm getting burnt taste. why is that? is it the regulated mod, coil diameter, or something else? do i just have to check it more often while puffing?

i like the regulated mod and consistent vape, but i'm so used to mech mod.. not sure why i'm burning cotton now..

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
The watts are probably too high. With a mech everything is calculated at 3.7v, try adjusting your voltage to 3.7 (or adjust watts accordingly)and go from there. If its a wick problem, and it tastes like burnt cotton, there might be too much cotton in the coil. If its burnt metal, not enough cotton. Hope this helps.

bullet08

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2014
USA
The watts are probably too high. With a mech everything is calculated at 3.7v, try adjusting your voltage to 3.7 (or adjust watts accordingly)and go from there. If its a wick problem, and it tastes like burnt cotton, there might be too much cotton in the coil. If its burnt metal, not enough cotton. Hope this helps.
the coil is .38 ohm. i started off at 35w and went up to 65w in 5w increments. 45-55w was nice. more like 55w. nice warm vape. with mech mod, i can tell when liquid is running low by the density of the cloud and i go easy on the pull. but with regulated mod, it's too consistent until it gets the cotton. keep puffing away until i taste the cotton burn..

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
Just a new learning curve is all. That being said, with the larger coil, it heats up slightly slower and should give you a window of slightly off flavor before it goes to cough your lungs out burnt. If you can catch it before it gets to that point, the cotton should be good, just drip (or squonk) but if it goes past and especially if the shoulders of the wick are black/brown (burnt), swap cotton or that burnt flavor continues. I like readyXwick because you can dry burn that burnt taste away and keep using the same wick. Stuff lasts forever. Sorry if Im covering stuff you already know, just thought it would be good to bring up as a refresher or for others having the same issue.

ErrrKT19

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
c.r., co
the coil is .38 ohm. i started off at 35w and went up to 65w in 5w increments. 45-55w was nice. more like 55w. nice warm vape. with mech mod, i can tell when liquid is running low by the density of the cloud and i go easy on the pull. but with regulated mod, it's too consistent until it gets the cotton. keep puffing away until i taste the cotton burn..
that build would top out around 35w on a single battery mech. try a few more wraps.

ErrrKT19

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
c.r., co
it's 3x18650 mod. i found the solution after @TwistedThrottle 's updates. i lower the V to 3.7 then up it from there. it's more similar to the mech mod. but the vape is cool. trying to see how high i can go without burn and harshness.
that always works >=). i was was targeting the 55 watts lol my bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread