Question: Safety in other extractions than tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratonclaws

Sep 21, 2019
Hello from Portugal, friends.

I've been scrolling down the topics in this forum bit couldn't find a specific answer for my question, so i post this one asking for the experts help.

Is it safe, for vaping purposes, to extract flavours from other products than tobacco (cold maceration only)?

I was thinking in flavour extracting from coffee and green tea.

Thanks for your time and help!

Enviado do meu Aquaris V Plus através do Tapatalk

ratonclaws

Sep 21, 2019
If you are going to try cold maceration, you will need to be patient. Like three months patient. Then filter well.
I recommend using PG for an extraction medium for this.
I'm aware that I need to be patient. I've been doing some experiences with tobacco. 6 weeks, 12 weeks. Always searching for the best results. What I'm not aware and I cannot find any reliable information, is if it is safe to naturaly extract other flavours besides tobacco. I read some posts about coffee extraction and some people don't feel safe in doing that. But I read some posts about people naturaly extracting flavours from, like everything (cinnamon, pepper, peppermint, herbs, etc.), and feeling confortable about that.

I was thinking about doing some extractions with some kind of teas and infusions, but I can't find information about if it's going to be safe vaping the juices made with those concentrates...

Enviado do meu Aquaris V Plus através do Tapatalk

Reactions: PapawBrett

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Vaping extracted flavor from coffee and/or tea would likely carry the same health risks as flavor extracted from tobacco. Unfortunately, flavor isn't the only thing leeched out during the extraction process. Natural oils, chlorophyll and various other substances are also stripped. Filtering generally removes particulates (like plant matter) from the extract but it doesn't remove substances that are dissolved and locked in solution.

The vaping community frowns on vaping anything that has natural oils in it although I don't know if there's any real science supporting such health/safety concerns. I do know that natural oils and other unwanted substances are what makes Naturally Extracted Tobacco (NET) so hard on wicks and coils. These contaminants don't readily vaporize but instead will caramelize/build up on coils and saturate wicks resulting in a need to change coil heads or re-wick and dry burn coils quite often. The extraction method I use removes most of these contaminants but it's more difficult, costly and the main ingredient (190 proof PGA) isn't legally available to many people around the globe.

The quality of flavor extracted is also important. Over the years several people have experimented with extracting flavor from coffee and tea but I don't remember reading any positive results. You might try searching the extraction forum using the words "coffee" and "tea" to find such posts/discussions. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
I've tried PGA extracts of purple tulsi, AKA holy basil as well as rooibos using methods similar to Str8visions PGA extraction method for tobacco. I have a coffee extract I haven't filtered yet, as well as cinnamon and clove. Those are in separate batches of PG as well as VG/PGA for future experiments.

From a flavor standpoint, I found the teas similar to what one might drink. I think it's potentially an interesting avenue of approach. My thought is that it's probably safer than tobacco, but this is really just guesswork on my part, based simply on the fact that tobacco products ingested orally have carcinogenic properties, whereas tea does not.

That said, I haven't found any firm information on it. I've read about occupational exposure to tea dust and it's association with respiratory disfunction. You can Google tea dust inhalation for more information. Of course, we're talking dust in this case, not heated vapor.

Unfortunately, I think it's one of those things that if you proceed, you are the guinea pig/pioneer. When one speaks of tea and coffee, there are a lot of different teas and coffees with potentially different amounts of organic compounds which may or may not have a negative health effects. There simply aren't longterm studies on the subject.

Although people are comfortable extracting tobacco or other things, I believe the jury is still out on the longterm health effects. I think for many people, it's all about relative risks. If it keeps them from smoking, the consensus is that it's better.

Regarding green tea specifically, I read something interesting about aerosolized EGCG and tea catechins used for potential cancer inhibitory treatments. Lung Cancer Inhibitory Effect of Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate Is Dependent on Its Presence in a Complex Mixture (Polyphenon E)

I personally won't be inhaling green tea extracts for medicinal purposes. But I think maybe some day there may be more information on the subject.

Str8vision touched upon the idea that extracts that contain oils may be undesirable. I know also that sugars can be undesirable. I've tried vaping a DIY fruit extract and it tasted like something that was held over a campfire on a stick too long.

One quick alternative idea for you. What about a commercial coffee extract? These would be lab tested and only contain the desired flavor components, and not unintentional byproducts from DIY extractions.

I can't speak for commercial green tea extracts, but I can only guess there has to be something out there.

A final idea. If you were to explore this DIY route, you might want to research what people have smoked in a pipe. I know there are some herbs that have traditionally been used as a tobacco substitute. Perhaps there is more longterm data on those.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Good advice from Stra8vision and CAAB. Biggest issue (not about health and safety) is filtering. Unless you are just going to use a dripper (RDA) and constantly re-wick, you need a good filter (same with tobacco) Maybe some issues with oils, but as mentioned, maybe people are a bit paranoid about that (because of recent news) I will simply say "moderation" is the key. I've actually considered making an extract of Mullein (a medicinal herb) and a few others. Tried doing coffee with bourbon but didn't have a good filter (otherwise would have been great) Basically, use the techniques from the NETs forum and go for it. Get an RDA for testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread