QUESTION: What do you use to vaporize your liquid??? I can't find a fit for me yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
I've got my device, and now I've got my juice, but I'm not overly happy with how I vaporize it so I'm looking for ideas/suggestions.

Here is what I've tried with comments:

-Boge 3.0ohm Cartos (reg size)
These are great and the closest thing I have to being happy with my system. Flavor and vapor are great. The problems are juice collecting on the mouthpiece rubber stopper thingy, and juice leaking out the bottom on the batt connector. Also, they burn dry pretty quick and need constant refilling. Finally, they can kinda get a metallic taste sometimes... not that dry burnt taste when dry, but a metallic undertone even on a full carto.

-Boge 3.0ohm Cartos (XL)
I thought these would help with the refilling, but the juice just seems to collect at the bottom and get gurgly. Otherwise, same pros/cons as above, but they seem to be worse about the metallic taste

-Boge Low Res
Same as above, but don't see the point since I'm on a variable voltage PV. With either Std Res or Low Res I can get the same vape by just adjusting the power...

-CE2 Clearomizers
My first vape on these was awesome, great flavor and vapor, but after using them for a bit I became very aware of a strange plasticy taste. It seemed to get worse the more I used them. Whatever it is, its sickening. I tried side by side comparisons to my Boge and there is definitely a weird taste there (to me). Also, they don't seem to handle higer voltages well. I think they don't wick fast enough, but they vape fine around 3.7 to 4.0. Eh... I don't know what I think of them yet.

-Vivi Nova
I was Really excited about this, but was disappointed to notice the same plastic taste as with the CE2s. I had thought the taste CE2s maybe came from the rubber stopper or tank tube, but now since I taste it on the Vivi, I'm thinking it might be the poly wicks themselves... Again, eh... not sure what I think yet

-Smoketech Dual Coil.
These produce a ton of vapor (to me), but have the same leak problems as the Boges and I think the flavor is a bit more muted than with the Boges. Not sure what I think here either.

I'm thinking about trying the CE3s and CE4s, but now I'm kinda expecting the same plastic taste. I'd like to try a tank to see if that helps with using the Boges, but I guess I'm a bit intimidated by punching cartos, and I'll still have the leak issues.

SO.... What do you use and why? Any suggestions? Keep in mind I've only been at this two weeks, so please include explanations if you can. Sometimes short answers combined with the lingo gets confusing. :)

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
Right now I'm using a CE2. Are you using the right Ohms? If you have a high volt device you should be using no less than 3.0 Ohm anything really if you plan to vape beyond 4.5 volts. Have you tried cleaning your CE2s at all? There is a great video I found with an excellent method. When I use the method my CE2s taste like brand spanky new. The trick is count to 5 and don't burn over the count! Let it rest a moment or 3 seconds in-between. Hopefully this will help you.

For me if the carto was a regular Boge or a duel coil they seemed the same. The only difference I found was duel coils seemed to hold a bit more juice. I also hated the nuisances of cartomizers, gurgles, overfill, underfill often leading to early carto death. I hated the backsplash the most! The DoD was helpful even if wonky looking. I loved it for quite some time and even used it at home until I converted to CE2s. Mostly I got the DoD to drive safely, no filling while driving and it worked most of the time.

If even after cleaning your CE2 you have issues I would suggest maybe a stronger flavored juice. It may help get rid of the "plastically" taste you're experiencing. I tend to only get a funny taste when my CE2 needs a cleaning.

I haven't tried tanks but I'm sure some tank lovers will chime in. If you havn't tried them though could be worth a go.

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
Thanks to everyone who has posted!

Rikaroo,
thanks for the tank info. Hadn't heard of that one yet. I'll look into it along with others.

Frosting,
I don't know what my deal is with the CE2s / Vivi Nova. I haven't read of anyone else complaining about a plastic taste. Maybe I vape too hard so I'm burning the wick. I tend to take long drags, 5-7sec, and I don't put it down for more than about 5 seconds before firing up again. Hadn't thought about cleaning, because this is still their first fill so they should taste brand new. Maybe being brand new is the issue. Do they take a while to "break in" or something? Or do they ship with some kind of coating that I should clean or burn off? ... Also, what is a DoD? Department of Defense? ;)

iamtumus,
I only tried dripping once, and on a stock 510 atty that came with my old JoyeTech 510. It tasted like and electrical fire, lol, so I never tried again. Maybe it was just a bad atty. I donno. I'd like to try dripping again, but just not sure how to do it "right" I guess. I think I'll pick up that 306 though. Will it fit the 510 thread on my Provari? Any tips on how to drop, uh, properly?

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
a couple things, many 510 attys have a "primer" oil in it in which you need to blow/clean out.
306 attys use a 510 thread, they just require a special drip tip.

+1 on the primer. Blow it out and vape through the rest. I have using mostly 901 atomizers on bottom feeders. However, since Monday, I've been using a rebuildable Penelope. It's very nice!!!

Jixchel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Indiana
Last edited:

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
You mention the rubber stopper thing, are you using a drip tip or just the rubber stopper? Don't use both, if you are using a drip tip take that stopper out!

I'm just using the regular end cap that comes on the clearos. Haven't used the drip tip, but I was referring actually to the rubber stopper that sits over the ceramic cup that has the heating element. I thought that might be giving off a plastic taste when heated, but maybe not because the Vivi doesn't have one... though it does have a silicone thingie around it, but silicone should be inert.

Last edited:

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
You know... I was just talking to my wife about this (she's never smoked or vaped, but hey), and she brought to my attention that I just got over a cold and was taking antibiotics. I've only had the clearos and vivi since then. It's been about two days, so it could be that my taste buds are all wacky. She might have a point. I should give it a week before coming to a conclusion about these.

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
To: iamtumus, MickeyRat, & Jixchel,

I'm interested in the 306 atty. Should be the purest flavor, right? If so, I could also use that as a benchmark to compare against other products to see how they might be changing the flavor. That seem like sound thinking?

Also, say I want to change flavors on the 306. Do I just burn it till it's dry, or do I have to clean it somehow like boiling? Or should I just get a 306 for each flavor I vape?

I didn't know about the primer on the 510s. That would explain that awful taste with my first dripping experience. No such thing on the 306 I take it?

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Hey MikeB,

So I'm sort of at the same stage as you. I've been at this three weeks but I've gone through a lot of stuff...and when I say a lot, I really do mean a lot. Like you I was pretty unsatisfied with just about everything for one reason or another. I did stop gap on the Vivi Nova's for about a week and was generally happy. There were some minor issues, like having to swirl them around to avoid dry hits and burnt taste(short wick version).

Anyway for me the buck sort of stopped at rebuildable atomizers. If you don't like to tinker then these will be a horrible suggestion so read no further. MOST of these types are hard to get and somewhat unavailable. They are also expensive but bear in mind that for 20-30 dollars in supplies you can rebuild them for a life time.

Golden Greek Penelope - Available from Clouds of Vapor. Still taking pre-orders for a shipment that's coming in at the end of July. Around 120 dollars, but again stainless steel and will last a lifetime with rebuild materials(wick, wire). Good look. Excellent vape. Holds over 2 ml of liquid. The flavor you get from the juices you currently use will blow you away. It's more or less like dripping straight onto an atomizer. I would suggest you watch some reviews on youtube for the Odysseus or Penelope. You can see what the coil building looks like and see if it's something you are interested in.

The other readily available one and it is a different style, called a Genesis style atomizer it's called "The DID" and another greek fellow makes them. It's available for around 100 dollars USD from his site e-vape.gr. Mine have not arrived yet but so I can't swear to how great they are but everyone that has them is thrilled. Again you can see what the coil building is like by watching some Genesis Style atomizer rebuilds on youtube.

I kind of wish I had started with these rebuildable's as it's made everything else redundant. The clean vapor, flavor and throat hit are something else. I would have saved a lot of money not trying everything under the rainbow and going straight to these but then again I do like to tinker and build my own stuff.

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
Ezkill,

Thanks a bunch for the post. I didn't know about those things, but I'll definitely have to look into them. I have to admit, I'm not so sure about all the tinkering, but the more I do this, the more I find I'm chasing that "perfect vape" lol... if you know what I mean. I'd prefer it to be plug-and-play and fiddle free, but I'm starting to think that doesn't put me off as much as it used to. The idea of dripping was totally off-putting, as was the idea of punching cartos; but I just spent the past 10 minutes looking a 306 attys for dripping, and cartopunches. I don't know, maybe a rebuildable atty would be for me if the vapor was thick and the flavor pure.

So which do you use? The Penelope or Genesis?

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
The answer Mike is I use both.

Overall I would say the Penelope is less fiddly. The coil is easy to build even for a novice. It holds a lot of juice and doesn't leak. I think it's as close as I've found to the perfect vape. Pure and undiluted flavor with a monster throat hit and you could use it for a fog machine in a jiffy. Being a beginner as well I find the penelope easy to rebuild while the genesis style atomizers can be a little finicky. However that's just a practice thing.

Here are the two items that I mentioned. Great videos done by Scott that illustrate exactly what you are getting into. Bear in mind you don't actually have to rebuild all that often. I can pop a new Penelope coil in within 3 minutes now.

DID - Genesis Atomizer - REVIEW OF THE DID REPAIRABLE ATOMISER - YouTube

Oddyseus Rebuildable(Essentially the same as the Penelope) - REVIEW OF THE ODYSSEUS REPAIRABLE ATOMISER - YouTube

There is some work to do no doubt. These are not plug and play devices. However, once you're up and running you'll be very close to that perfect vape.

Edit: There are other options. However a lot of them are group buys and you have to be on certain lists to get the items. These are two that are readily available right now and that's why I've mentioned them as options.

Edit 2: For me personally dripping wasn't an option as it's too time consuming and not very pocketable. I like to fill and go. Tanks and cartos. They come with their own set of problems. Leaking and such come to mind. A reviewer on here Pbsuardo has website and he has a chart which has pull tests on different tanks. He measure the force it takes to pull a tank off a carto(which result in a spill). Some tanks require less then a pound of force to pull off. This means that if you grab one of those tanks wrong you will be looking at a juice spill. Not all tanks are like that and some require a lot of force. It's just something to be aware of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread