Question,why would people prefer RTA over sub ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobc1990

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2019
Johor Bahru
rda gave better flavour,but why would people prefer rta over sub ohm.I have experience of building a RTA,but it’s very troublesome to change flavor and you need time to rebuild.Unlike sub ohm tank,you just change the coil and the percentage of leaking is so low compare to rebuilding a RTA

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
For starters, sub ohm tanks only offer a coil or three. Rtas I can build any way I like.

I don’t have to worry about running out of coils.

No more leaking than a sub ohm, once you know what you’re doing, and sometimes less leaking because the builder has more control

No more difficult to swap flavors. Easier and cheaper, in my experience.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Sub ohming uses too much power, creates a much larger margin for error (battery safety issues), short life span for a wick, too much effort on the inhale and too much liquid gets used.

Rebulding an RTA coil happens every three months or so for me. Wicking happens most days and only takes five minutes. I get a decent noticeable nicotine hit at 24mg, which i love !. inhaling is effortless. I only use between three or four ml of liquid a day. Much lower power means batteries last much longer. Switching out a flavour is very simple, just tip it in !. I am a dedicated +ohm RTA user.

My personal experience of sub ohming is that it simply doesn't work for me..... at all !.

Last edited:

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
RDA gave better flavour,but why would people prefer RTA over sub ohm.I have experience of building a RTA,but it’s very troublesome to change flavor and you need time to rebuild.Unlike sub ohm tank,you just change the coil and the percentage of leaking is so low compare to rebuilding a RTA

The biggest reason for me purchasing and using RTAs and RDAs, even though I really like simple tanks with screw in coils, is that I have no idea what is going to happen in May with the FDA and vaping. I just have no idea how long I will be able to keep buying throw away coils. If the FDA is harsh with their final judgement I am well prepared to meet my vaping needs going forward until the day I die if that is my choice. I also don't want to rely on China purchases for coils not being able to easily verify authenticity and taking the risk of US Customs confiscation.

Like you, I don't really enjoy re-wicking every 3 days, but it's better than potentially not being able to vape and the vape from RTAs and RDAs are really quite tasty so if that's what I need to do I'm OK with that. I'll never have to worry about not being able to get wire or Rayon. I'm confident those will always be available.

If you're having leaking issues with RTAs then start purchasing top airflow RTAs and that will not be issue for you and there are many available that are really good flavor wise now. Everything from MTL tootle puffing to big cloud DTL vaping.

A lot depends on your current local vape laws and pending vape laws. That should be a big determining factor in your decision.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    By subohm you mean a drop in coil tank, which is what I understood from your post

And I use an RDA on bf mod over a drop in coil tank due to a few reasons
    - Incredible flavour
    - Costs a few cents to replace the coil & wick
    - Able to try different builds easily, and vape it at different wattages easily

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    RDA gave better flavour,but why would people prefer RTA

Some people do not like to use RDAs (Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer) because they don't care for dripping or squonking. They prefer tank system so they choose RTA (Rebuildable Tank Atomizer).

As far as sub-ohm, I don't understand that part of your question. RTA can be used as sub-ohm jut as an RDA can.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If you mean why do people prefer RTA over a subohm tank that takes factory coils, there are many reasons. One reason is that some people do not like to build/wick coils. Everyone has their preferences.

You may think that a sub ohm tank has better flavor, but taste is subjective (different from one person to another).

• Agree
    Reactions: Mordacai

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    RDA gave better flavour,but why would people prefer RTA over sub ohm.I have experience of building a RTA,but it’s very troublesome to change flavor and you need time to rebuild.Unlike sub ohm tank,you just change the coil and the percentage of leaking is so low compare to rebuilding a RTA

RDA's do not in my experience give better flavor than RTA's. I've used them both extensively and that is my opinion.

"RTA over sub ohm"

Sub ohm can be had in both RDA and RTA. You need to get a bit more experience with this stuff :)

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    @tj99959, the question related to sub ohm and not high ohm.

This requires much more liquid flow with the wicking.

Had to give you a "funny" for that.

Like ya must think it's my first day on the block
    The RDA/RTA you choose to use will determine what coil/wattage will work best.
    The RDA I use (A7) will not work with a sub ohm coil (but there are plenty that will)

To just say RDA vs RTA is like comparing apples to pineapples.
    Which RDA & which RTA is he comparing??
    Not all RTA's use 'drop in coils', many have a build deck like a RDA.

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: Ryedan

RuiG

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 4, 2019
    Portugal
    It's one of those discussions...

Drop-in coils vs rebuildable atomizers.

Flavour wise, depends on the product and the way the user builds them. Some designs since day one will never be good and that is a fact.

Price wise, rebuildables are way cheaper to maintain and are a type of product that ensures the user the capacity to build them over time due to availability of materials.

Ease of use wise, drop-in factory coils should in theory be easier but in reality some atomisers and this goes for all types are a pain to build, maintain and get a headache free consistant performance out of them.

In the end this is as a matter of preference and applicability of a certain product for a certain situation. Same discussion could go on for aios, pods, ext, ext.

What ever it takes to keep people away from combustion cigarettes.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    1)RDA gave better flavour,but why would people prefer RTA over sub ohm.
    2)I have experience of building a RTA,but it’s very troublesome to change flavor and you need time to rebuild.
    3)Unlike sub ohm tank,you just change the coil and the percentage of leaking is so low compare to rebuilding a RTA
    Seems like you are locked into your own experience and cant see that others might experience things differently to you.
    1) Subjective. Ive never really found rda's to provide a more flavourful vape than an rta. Some people think rda's provide a better vape experience, others dont.
    2) Have lots of rta's. Different rta's for different flavours. Changing coils or wicks is very easy and quick.
    3) What do you mean, "leaking"? there isnt much difference between a sub ohm tank and an rta in that regard.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread