Questions about blueing a Nemesis in oven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverDiving

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Uruapan, Michoacan, Mexico.
Hi! I've been browsing through the threads and have some doubts about how to go about blueing a Nemesis in an oven.

I have a pair of Nemesis clones and want a completely even coloring of the three tube sections. My intentions are to put them in an electric regulated toaster oven preheated to the correct temperature: 450°F for dark bronze and 525°F for dark blue.

I'm thinking of doing the blue one first while watching the transformation through the window and then do the bronze one.

My doubts are if I should place the tubes assembled or separate, directly on the steel grill or on a pyrex recipient and what to do when they get to the color I want. Should I just take them out or quench them in water?

The thing is that I really want the most even color possible. Will appreciate some experienced comments; don't wanna ruin an otherwise perfect mod.

NatureBoy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Peterborough, ON, Canada
Doesn't work. Toaster ovens don't get hot enough. At least, mine didn't.. and it's a convection oven. Tried the big gas oven as well, with the temp cranked, still didn't work. You have to basically put it right at the flame or else it won't turn much but a faint bit brown.. that's it.

Kiln's work the best. See if you can find a local artisan that will fire it for you.

Btw, air cool, don't quench.. colors are brighter that way, from my experience. I found dipping in water right away dulled the finish.

Last edited:

ForeverDiving

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Doesn't work. Toaster ovens don't get hot enough. At least, mine didn't.. and it's a convection oven. Tried the big gas oven as well, with the temp cranked, still didn't work. You have to basically put it right at the flame or else it won't turn much but a faint bit brown.. that's it.

Kiln's work the best. See if you can find a local artisan that will fire it for you.

Btw, air cool, don't quench.. colors are brighter that way, from my experience. I found dipping in water right away dulled the finish.

Sorry for the late comeback NatureBoy. Lost track of my posts and stupidly didn't subscribe to my own... :facepalm:

Thanks for the confirmation. I tried with a piece of SS 1/2" tube and left it in the oven for three hours without any noticeable results. Of course it never got the needed red hot for blueing or even bronzing. I dread using a welder torch (which I have at my biz) because of uneven coloring.

The kiln is a possibility but I'd need to control the actual resulting temp...

I have access to some refractary bricks and might be able to build a mini kiln with just a few of them. The source of heat would have to be completely controllable and I'm thinking oxy-acetylene from below. Must do some tests... :confused:

77cj5

Jul 27, 2014
Marshall Texas
You don't need to get it red to change colors. If you do get it red it will probably turn grey or black. For an even color you really need an kiln. I would do it disassembled to keep it from possibly locking its self together. On stainless, straw color is about 450-500.
Purple 550-600
Blue 600-650
Grey to black is 700 plus.
In past experience blueing parts I had to hold my moms small kiln at 1000 degrees for an hour to get an even blue on a 9" long Damascus Bowie knife blade. It all depends on the size of the piece.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

ForeverDiving

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
For an even color you really need an kiln. I would do it disassembled to keep it from possibly locking its self together. On stainless, straw color is about 450-500.
Purple 550-600
Blue 600-650
Grey to black is 700 plus.
In past experience blueing parts I had to hold my moms small kiln at 1000 degrees for an hour to get an even blue on a 9" long Damascus Bowie knife blade.

Thanks for the explanation. I found the temp table in Internet and kinda figured I could get 300°C from the kitchen oven --FCS! After all the thermostat says so...! :( Now I know better. Still musing if it's not easier to get a brass or copper one from FT and be done. :/ Of course I can always get sour grapes and resource to the torch and be content with a multicolored one.

Tapatalk Pro / Samsung Galaxy 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread