questions about: Dual wicks + dual coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

donneee

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2012
Norfolk, VA, USA
I have a few questions about what i'm trying to build.

so lets say have a vivi rebuidable tank.

i know they're two holes for the wick that comes with it to soak up juice from the reservoir.

What i want to do is run two ss mesh wicks down each of the wick-holes and have two separate coils on each of them.
I've seen (lo-res) videos of these types of builds at work, but the quality of them is so low i can't really tell how they built the coils. it was either that or they don't show how they did it.

how to do coil two wicks together? should i use non-resistance wiring to connect each of the coils? pictures or videos would be great!

also; i'm trying to use one long wiring. i don't want to connect two wires to build two coils.
so soldering NR wire between the coils is the idea. if that's not possible or would create errors,
please do tell why. i like knowing why it wouldn't work so i know not to try it at all :p

i'm trying to not mod the vivi rebuildable at all with any extra parts and just replace the wick and coil instead.

here's a video of something like i have in mind:

i'm also purely going to try this build just to see how what it's like. i'm not even sure what to technically call this. it's not simply dual coil wrapping, since the wicks are technically not coiled with dual wires. A name for this coil building would be nice to know ^_^

note: i'm just using the vivi rebuildable as an example. i'll get one to actually try this soon

my ghetto picture of what i'm thinking of:
Vi-Vi Rebuild setup.jpg

Last edited:

Danielsuzuki

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Katy, Texas
Sure it is! The logistics might be tough... Hope you have tiny fingers! Make a good secure connection between coils and your NR wire as outlined in several Odyssius vids. Your build is in series, I'm planning a dual coil parallel build with 4 ohm coils, for a final resistance of 2 ohms. However my Phoenix didn't come today, so I will have to wait until tomorrow.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
Don't forget - when you wire the coils in series, you double the resistance. 1.5ohm dual coil = 3 ohm resistance to the switch/battery. Looks like a cool build! Good luck!

Actually, I think that it's the other way. At least that's how dual coil cartos work. For a 1.5ohm Dual Coil Carto, you've got 2 3ohm coils.

I have no idea why or how it works that way, doesn't really make sense to me.

Edit: Or is that because they're both connected independently to the poles?

Danielsuzuki

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Katy, Texas
With DC electricity, a circuit wired in series doubles the resistance. As in the diagram above: positive of coil 1 to positive post, negative of coil 1 to positive of coil 2, negative of coil 2 to negative post. This is a series circuit. 1.5 coil and 1.5 coil = 3 ohms. In a parallel circuit it would go: positives from coils 1&2 to the positive post, and negatives from coils 1&2 to negative post. 3 ohm coils *2 = 1.5 ohms.

This would be significantly easier if I could draw a diagram, but my laptop is down. I hope this explanation is helpful!

Vape On Friends!

donneee

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2012
Norfolk, VA, USA
Actually, I think that it's the other way. At least that's how dual coil cartos work. For a 1.5ohm Dual Coil Carto, you've got 2 3ohm coils.

I have no idea why or how it works that way, doesn't really make sense to me.

Edit: Or is that because they're both connected independently to the poles?

this is technically my question. since i'm not actually connecting two separate coils to the poles, it'd be in a series. parallel coils would be two wires wrapping the same wick; just right next to each other.

i'm only assuming that it'd work in the same nature how DCT/dual coil carto's work. since they look similar to my build i'm going to do. my main concern is if it's one long wire (i.e. not connected to the poles separately) will it affect the ohms? i perceive building dual coils as: two 1.5 ohms = 3 ohms on a series circuit. i have no idea if it's the same concept with parallel coils since they are two (physical) wires separately connecting to each of the poles.

thanks for telling me they're series circuits btw. i kept thinking horizontal coil for some reason.

donneee

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2012
Norfolk, VA, USA
With DC electricity, a circuit wired in series doubles the resistance. As in the diagram above: positive of coil 1 to positive post, negative of coil 1 to positive of coil 2, negative of coil 2 to negative post. This is a series circuit. 1.5 coil and 1.5 coil = 3 ohms. In a parallel circuit it would go: positives from coils 1&2 to the positive post, and negatives from coils 1&2 to negative post. 3 ohm coils *2 = 1.5 ohms.

This would be significantly easier if I could draw a diagram, but my laptop is down. I hope this explanation is helpful!

Vape On Friends!

so this would be a series? Vi-Vi Rebuild setup series.jpg
and my diagram above is a parallel?

in a parallel circuit, ohms would be as followed?
Coil 1=1.5
Coil 2=1.5
Ohms=3.0

and in a series:
Coil 1=3.0
Coil 2=3.0
Ohms=1.5

does that add up right?

Last edited:

Danielsuzuki

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Katy, Texas
The most recent diagram you posted is a parallel circuit. If those coils were both 3 ohm, you'd end up at 1.5 ohms at the switch.

Your first diagram illustrates a textbook series circuit. Assuming both coils are 1.5 ohms you'd then have 3 ohms at the switch.

Series circuits offer increased resistance, while parallel circuits decrease the resistance.

I've never bought a dual coil carto (provari) but I'd postulate that they're wired in series to keep the size of the coils down to a minimum. The only reason I want to wire a dual coil in parallel is for the increased surface area of coil as it takes a lot of wraps to achieve a 4 ohm coil.

donneee

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2012
Norfolk, VA, USA
i just got a vmax so i'm trying to experiment with rebuildables. i'm looking at the smoktech vivi cause i want to try three wicks, three coils in parallel circuitry. though i doubt they'll be nothing on the market that can push that many amps. not even a 5 amp limited vmax.

anywho, another question: if one coil is 1.5 ohms and the other is 1.5 ohms in a series circuit, power distributed evenly, correct? i know the end product is 3.0ohms so i'm only assuming that. but in a parallel circuit, is power distributed evenly to both coils? i can't quite grasp the logic behind parallel circuits because if i have two 3 ohm coils which equates to 1.5 ohm, and i take off one coil or say one of the coils pop, the total ohms should go up to 3 ohms, correct?

i want a lot of headroom so i am guessing i will do a series circuit in a dual wick, but for my future build of a tri-wick or even a quad-wick, what should i go with? is the formula to calculate the ohms in the end different if you go above two coils? what would be optimul in your opinion?

Danielsuzuki

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Katy, Texas
Please keep in mind that to date I've only used single coil atomizers such as the HH 357, ect. I'm merely speaking from a purely electrical point of view.

Assuming a parallel circuit at 1.5 ohms, both coils exactly the same resistance, if you disconnect or pop a coil the other coil is still in place and connected. You've just dropped half of your load and doubled the resistance. Back to 3 ohms for you!

Logic tells me that the more wire wraps you have, the more coil surface area you have on the wick, and the more vaporization is taking place. Yeah... It's a pain in the a** to run a dual 6 ohm coil setup in parallel, but you've got a ton of surface area pulling 3 ohms which you can drive at 6 volts or more with relative ease.

If even more power is your aim, every new coil you add in parallel halves the resistance in a geometric fashion, assuming all additional coils are exactly the same. Coil 1 3 ohms, coil 2 3 ohms for 1.5 ohms, coil 3 3 ohms for .75 ohms, et al.

I you're considering a multi-coil setup, please invest in a multimeter and test the final resistance prior to use!

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
I am a little curious about something else though...

How many amps is that going to put through your switch, and what kind of PV are you using? I'm not really sure about how that's going to work...again, I'm a bit fuzzy about all this stuff, so I'm not really certain if these things will even come into it...but I'd rather you didn't blow up your mod because it was pulling too much...or too much from the battery.

donneee

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2012
Norfolk, VA, USA
hmm. well it's for future proofing. there isn't a mod out there atm that has at least an 8 amp switch on it. 5 is rumored on the vmax, and 3ish seems to be the norm from my understanding.

when ever there is a mod that has such a high amp switch on it however, this is my probable route i'm going to take =).

i'll stick with dual and tinker with tri-coils after i get more experience and knowledge on what device out there has the highest amp rating.

donneee

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2012
Norfolk, VA, USA
hmm i'm still not sure what build i should do. i took chieftechnicalwizard picture of his u-wick and did some editing to it to show you guys what i'm planning to do.

this brings me to my next question though, as i'm not avid in building coils and knowing what wiring i should use to get a certain ohm range.

Blue positive NR wire, Red negative NR wire, Grey ### Kanthal? Yellow NR bridge
My ViVi Rebuildable.jpg

it's not exactly how many wraps i do want for each example, but the more wraps the better, since you did point out that more SA = more vaporization. i'm tore between having something aesthetically pleasing through a see-through tank i will build or have a probable better vaping experience with a messy set up that covers the wick more.

in my parallel set up, it's more messy as i don't like the NR wire stretching so far from so high up on coil 2. i'm going for aesthetics here, but performance from this i think will be better. again, no idea what kanthal i should use, i can figure out the ohms during my tests if i decide to go with this, so kanthal is a minor issue with this.

in my series set up, it's almost perfect for my taste but i have no idea what kanthal i would need to cover all of that surface area and at the same time keep it at 3ish ohms. it'd have to probably be very low resisted wiring.

can anyone make some suggestions of which khantal i should use? i want at least... an 10-11 wrap for 1.5 ohms? the more the better i suppose.

Attachments

• My ViVi Rebuildable.jpg
    My ViVi Rebuildable.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 691
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread