Questions about RDA's, RTA's and Pro Tanks....(May be a little long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wagon52

Verified Member
I've been vaping since December and have been mainly doing it with Pro tanks. I have bought an RDA and an RTA in the past few weeks. My problem is that I can't seem to get the same flavor out of the rebuildables that I do with the Pro tanks. The rebuildables flavor IS a lot more intense as well as the vapor production. But.....the flavor in the rebuildables just don't taste right. It kinda tastes funny to me. Hard to describe what it is but it just doesn't taste right.(Not a burnt taste) I have tried adjusting the voltage and it stays the same. I thought maybe it was the cotton that I use but I have rebuilt the coils on my Pro Tanks and used cotton. Everybody says that the flavor in rebuildables are so much better and I just wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if anyone else has the same issue as me.... Maybe it's just a preference thing or the gauge wire or the type of coils i'm building but I feel a little disappointed with the rebuildables. I just hope that maybe I'm doing something wrong because I would hate to think I spent the money on these things to not use them.

Here is what I use:

ProVari 2.5
IGO-W RDA
Kayfun 3.1 Clone RTA
28 gauge kanthal
Organic cotton
The coils I build are micro coils and they run anywheres between 1.2-1.6 ohms

Timbuck55

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2014
Queens, New York, United States
I've been vaping since December and have been mainly doing it with Pro Tanks. I have bought an RDA and an RTA in the past few weeks. My problem is that I can't seem to get the same flavor out of the rebuildables that I do with the Pro Tanks. The rebuildables flavor IS a lot more intense as well as the vapor production. But.....the flavor in the rebuildables just don't taste right. It kinda tastes funny to me. Hard to describe what it is but it just doesn't taste right.(Not a burnt taste) I have tried adjusting the voltage and it stays the same. I thought maybe it was the cotton that I use but I have rebuilt the coils on my Pro Tanks and used cotton. Everybody says that the flavor in rebuildables are so much better and I just wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if anyone else has the same issue as me.... Maybe it's just a preference thing or the gauge wire or the type of coils i'm building but I feel a little disappointed with the rebuildables. I just hope that maybe I'm doing something wrong because I would hate to think I spent the money on these things to not use them.

Here is what I use:

ProVari 2.5
IGO-W RDA
Kayfun 3.1 Clone RTA
28 gauge kanthal
Organic cotton

I'm new to RDAs as well and ran into the same problem. I switched my juice and it was a fix for me. I'm told some juices taste diff when used in a RDA as opposed to a clearomizer.

Dakota Jim

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
in a warehouse buried near Univille SD
Hopefully you did thoroughly clean your new RDA's before using. It seems none of the manufacturers can be bothered to clean the machining oil completely off of their devices before shipping out.

The airflow on these devices is different from what you are used to also which I have discovered will affect flavor to a certain effect also

They are also much more efficient at wicking (yes, I understand one is a dripper) if built properly which can also effect flavor to a small extent.

Make sure the wicks are not too tight in the coils

try adjusting the airflow slightly (in the Igo try moving the air holes closer or farther from the wick)

wagon52

Verified Member
I'm new to RDAs as well and ran into the same problem. I switched my juice and it was a fix for me. I'm told some juices taste diff when used in a RDA as opposed to a clearomizer.

When you say you changed juice, do you mean juice flavor or PG/VG percentages or where you got the juice from?

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
I've been vaping since December and have been mainly doing it with Pro Tanks. I have bought an RDA and an RTA in the past few weeks. My problem is that I can't seem to get the same flavor out of the rebuildables that I do with the Pro Tanks. The rebuildables flavor IS a lot more intense as well as the vapor production. But.....the flavor in the rebuildables just don't taste right. It kinda tastes funny to me. Hard to describe what it is but it just doesn't taste right.(Not a burnt taste) I have tried adjusting the voltage and it stays the same. I thought maybe it was the cotton that I use but I have rebuilt the coils on my Pro Tanks and used cotton. Everybody says that the flavor in rebuildables are so much better and I just wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if anyone else has the same issue as me.... Maybe it's just a preference thing or the gauge wire or the type of coils i'm building but I feel a little disappointed with the rebuildables. I just hope that maybe I'm doing something wrong because I would hate to think I spent the money on these things to not use them.

Here is what I use:

ProVari 2.5
IGO-W RDA
Kayfun 3.1 Clone RTA
28 gauge kanthal
Organic cotton

Do you still have the stock barely there airflow holes on your igoW? If so I'd find a drill press and open at least one of them up.. Or go to discountvapers and grab one or more of their igoW caps.. The stock airflow holes on the igoW are going to give you little vapor production and as a result not much flavor.

wagon52

Verified Member
Do you still have the stock barely there airflow holes on your igoW? If so I'd find a drill press and open at least one of them up.. Or go to discountvapers and grab one or more of their igoW caps.. The stock airflow holes on the igoW are going to give you little vapor production and as a result not much flavor.

Yes I have one of the airflow holes drilled out.

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
Yes I have one of the airflow holes drilled out.

what size did you drill it out to? and do you have that hole directly over your coil when you put the cap on? Also make sure the wic is set in under the coil with a little room between the top of the wic and bottom of the coil. Make sure the coil is up high enough off the deck that the airflow will hit the lower half of it. oh and make sure your wic will slide easily back and forth in the coil. It needs room to be able to pull the juice into the part of the wic that is inside the coil. Alot of RBA's is about the airflow and making sure you have everything set up correctly. It took me some trial and error before I got my igoW kicking ... but now she chucks vapor pretty well and the flavor is about double that of my protank.. maybe more.

Timbuck55

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2014
Queens, New York, United States
finally.jpg

This is what mine looks like. It took a couple tries.. tinkering with the coil and wick.. it produces decent vapor and taste now.

wagon52

Verified Member
what size did you drill it out to? and do you have that hole directly over your coil when you put the cap on? Also make sure the wic is set in under the coil with a little room between the top of the wic and bottom of the coil. Make sure the coil is up high enough off the deck that the airflow will hit the lower half of it. oh and make sure your wic will slide easily back and forth in the coil. It needs room to be able to pull the juice into the part of the wic that is inside the coil. Alot of RBA's is about the airflow and making sure you have everything set up correctly. It took me some trial and error before I got my igoW kicking ... but now she chucks vapor pretty well and the flavor is about double that of my protank.. maybe more.

I'm honestly not sure what size it was drilled out to. The B&M did it for me when they set me up with it. Here are pictures of the IGO-W

wagon52

Verified Member
I don't know what I did or what happened but maybe this thing needed some break in time or something. I rebuilt the coil and I vaped a different flavor in my Kayfun for a while and the flavor was better with that juice. When I ran out of that flavor I re-wicked it, cleaned it and went back to the original flavor I tried when I first got it. Now it tastes awesome and I am loving it! Not really sure what happened but I'm good with it! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread