Questions about rebuilding Protank II coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phinz

Oct 9, 2013
Wisconsin
So I am going attempt to rebuild my own Kanger Protank II coils. Before I order the supplies I wanted to get some advice.

1) I'm shooting for somewhere between 1.5 and 2.0 ohms. What gauge kanthal should I be using? A video I watched suggested about 32 gauge.

2) What does the number of wraps do, and how many should I do?

3) I am currently using 80%VG/20%PG, and I might try max VG soon. Should I use cotton wicks or silica?

4) In the tutorial I watched, the guy was torching his silica and kanthal with a chefs torch to clean it of contaminants. He said it will make the juice taste better. I don't have one and I don't want to buy one just yet. Are there alternative ways to clean them without a torch? How important is it to clean them?

Thanks in advance for your advice! Looking forward to giving this a try.

Nu2Dis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Jersey Shore, NJ, USA

Subdivisions

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
PA
1) I use 30 gauge and wrap about 8-9 times around a 15 gauge nail (about 1/16") for around 2 ohms.

2) more wraps = higher resistance. Also larger diameter = higher reistance and vice versa.

3) I use cotton. Tastes a little cottony for about 5 hits (i don't boil it) then it tastes great.

4) torching doesn't make the juice taste any different. It cleans any oil or contaminants off of the wire and makes the wire less springy so it will hold its shape better. I use the burners on a gas stove. If you look into microcoils you can use a stove to compress the coils together while hot

Good Luck

all good advice above.....get on you tube and see the many choices you have...watch guys like Rip Trippers and others ...they love to rebuild atomizers..you can watch countless hours on you tube and see/learn a lot...I rebuild all my Kanger and use 28 ga..that is pro tank 2 and mini pro tank 2..nano coils.....have fun. you not only stop smoking you get a new hobby!

I have been vaping a little over a month and after watching the u-tube videos I ordered 10 ft of kanthal 32gauge and 10 ft of 2mm Silica from OKC Vapes. I didn't want a whole bunch in case it didn't work out for me.

I used a large paper clip straightened out. I torged the wire before wrapping and did 4/5 wraps around 2mm wick and got 1.8 ohms. I dry burned the coils and then put a 2mm flavor wick an top. U-tube has videos on dry burning Protanks.

4/5 means you can count 5 wraps on top and 4 on the bottom.

I did all 4 of our EVODS, 2 Protank 2, and 2 Smok ARO V2. The first one didn't work that well, but after that it was easy.

I highly recommend it, I get more vapor and better flavor.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Subdivisions

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
PA
I put my Protanks to work. 28g, 8/9 wrap microcoils with a slightly larger diameter than what comes stock (sorry, don't know exact size!). Comes out to 0.7 - only recommended if you are using a mech mod tho, it WILL kill an ego batt.

As far as silica vs cotton... I'm w Subdivisions, cotton all the waaaaaay!

I'm with you too bro. By the way an ego or any other regulated battery won't fire below 1.2 - 1.5 ohms anyway! They are current limited to 2.5 - 3 amps.

VaperGlock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
KCMO
So I am going attempt to rebuild my own Kanger Protank II coils. Before I order the supplies I wanted to get some advice.

1) I'm shooting for somewhere between 1.5 and 2.0 ohms. What gauge kanthal should I be using? A video I watched suggested about 32 gauge.

2) What does the number of wraps do, and how many should I do?

3) I am currently using 80%VG/20%PG, and I might try max VG soon. Should I use cotton wicks or silica?

4) In the tutorial I watched, the guy was torching his silica and kanthal with a chefs torch to clean it of contaminants. He said it will make the juice taste better. I don't have one and I don't want to buy one just yet. Are there alternative ways to clean them without a torch? How important is it to clean them?

Thanks in advance for your advice! Looking forward to giving this a try.

I use 30ga wire 10 wraps around a 1.4mm "precision" screwdriver. Scrunch them together then hold them gently together with a pair of needle nose and torch it. Set the coil in with it still on the screwdriver so it doesn't get too low. Then I thread 3 out of 4 strands of Peaches & Cream 100% cotton yarn. Then lay some of the extra over the top. Put the chimney back in and then trim it up. Just did 3 tonight and they came out at 1.8-2.0 ohms.

Last edited:

RubyRoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
You've gotten some good responses so far, so I'll throw mine in the mix:

1) 32 gauge kanthal (heats up quicker than a lower gauge wire on an eGo or regulated mod) 5 wrap around a 1/16th drill bit = 1.7 Ohms.

2) Organic cotton ball wick. Pull just enough through to get resistance when you're pulling it though. Tiny rolled up cotton flavor wick on top to prevent flooding.

3) Vape your face off.

No need to scrunch the coil into a "micro coil" as this is not necessary with 32 gauge wire. 32 gauge will also be a little gentler on your rubber insulator. Don't burn it, as that tastes gross, and will wear out over time.

Be sure to prime your wick and coil with e-liquid before putting the little chimney on top of the coil head. And don't dry burn your coil once you've inserted the wick, as this will burn your wick, and render it useless.

Give it a few unpowered primer puffs every once in awhile. If you see the bubbles rise, you know it's starting to wick up well. Let your wicks soak up in the tank for a little while as well, to ensure proper saturation.

You should not have any problems with higher VG juice and this build, as cotton wicks very well. I use higher VG juices in mine no problem, as long as you remember to prime your wicks before reassembly, and give it primer puffs every once in awhile, especially if the tank is on the fuller side of life.

Cheers!

nufan

Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Oregon US
I have been vaping a little over a month and after watching the u-tube videos I ordered 10 ft of kanthal 32gauge and 10 ft of 2mm Silica from OKC Vapes. I didn't want a whole bunch in case it didn't work out for me.

I used a large paper clip straightened out. I torged the wire before wrapping and did 4/5 wraps around 2mm wick and got 1.8 ohms. I dry burned the coils and then put a 2mm flavor wick an top. U-tube has videos on dry burning Protanks.

4/5 means you can count 5 wraps on top and 4 on the bottom.

I did all 4 of our EVODS, 2 Protank 2, and 2 Smok ARO V2. The first one didn't work that well, but after that it was easy.

I highly recommend it, I get more vapor and better flavor.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Maybe thats what I did wrong...no flavor wick...I wrapped around 2mm ecowool but no flavor wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread