questions about VW mods/watts/voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

WistfulChipmunk

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2017
So I am noticing a lot of my mods have internal batteries and the specs for them include the resistance range and the wattage limit.

For example I have a Wismec RX mini here..
  • Internal 2100mAh Battery
  • Wattage Range: 1W - 80W
  • Temperature Range: 200°F - 600°F / 100°C - 315°C
  • 0.1Ω - 3.5Ω (VW Mode)
  • Maximum Charge Current: 1A
  • Maximum Output Current: 25A

Right so these are the specs I have.

So.. I am not sure I am asking this properly but.. How do I tell the voltage limit on this thing? There is one I assume? Outside of wattage.. right?

I ask because I'm using the Steam engine.. and I'm trying to learn how to build coils.. (safely!) and I builds that I'm trying to test.. all in the 1.2 - 1.7ohm range.. but the voltage is a lot higher to get the same watts in some cases.. does that not matter?

The little heat flux / wattage / chart graph on the bottom is wildly different, with the dual coil demanding an awful lot of watts/volts for the same heat flux.. Now, I'm still learning the complexities here and this one question is now coming up.. but I can't for the life of me figure out how to determine the limit of the batteries voltage.. and just how much heat flux even matters.. or what...

So long as it's no more than 80watts (since that's the limit of the battery) is it all just fine and whatever the voltage?

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    They surely do have a maximum voltage and some have stated specs for it. Likewise, they have reduced power output into high resistances unless the listed maximum resistance is reduced to compensate. 8.4V wouldn't be unusual as a max, since power increases at the square of voltage that's four times the power as 4.2V into the same resistance.

Heat flux is the power divided by the surface area, basically the coil-view version of power setting, so it's a big deal.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread