questions and confusion about DiY before i get started....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
so i've been looking around and thinking of trying diy again.

I notice that i don't see many simple ingredients..

example

cherry
pie crust
cinnamon

or say

cake
strawberry
whipped cream

looking at sample recipes, there seems to be so many ingredients. I read somewhere to look for a recipe that sounds good and try that.
but i havn't seen one that looks good yet.

i want to try this.
but can't i just make a plain cantaloupe flavor, using cantaloupe?
or coffee and cream flavoring, and just use that one flavoring.

does it have to have 3 other flavors with it to be good?

i'm confused on this. some enlightenment would be nice.

I don't like many premade juices. All my favorite flavors get discontinued.
use to love aroma ejuice's snickerdoodle and vanilla
and nicotickets strawnilla and hummingbird.
they are gone now.

the juices i do like are expensive. nice thick mouth feel and thick vapor.

all the cheap juice tastes... well cheap. I'm afraid my diy will result in juice that tastes like theirs and i won't be able to vape that either. I have also found that these cheap juices will taste good for a few days, then the flavor is gone. I have a coffee vape.. that was strong with coffee fresh.. a week later, that coffee taste is gone!

Also
is there anything to add to the cheap juice to make them have more of a mouth feel? you know when you exhale and still have that nice after taste for a bit.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
When mixing new bends, make small batches, say 10 mls. Enough to have some shake and vape and some to steep. If neither is palatable, you're not out much.

Some flavorings are ok straight, and some vendors, like ECX, have pre-mixed flavorings of blends, so it's possible to have, say, a one-shot Snickerdoodle clone rather than having to have umpteen different flavors to mix it. (Don't know if that's really available ;) )

You can certainly mix a single flavor cantaloupe, or any other single flavor, but as with food, many things improve when blended.

Although when I get a new flavor I usually will mix a 10 ml tester of it solo, so I can get a feel for how it tastes. Makes it easier to adjust when mixed.

If you already have a preferred PG/VG ratio, mix to that level at first. If no pref, shoot for 50/50 to start, a decent compromise between throat hit and vapor. Flavor per cent can have an effect on feel or body, but some flavors are just, well, light. Maybe really tasty, but light.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
There are some good singles and many simple 2-3 flavor mixes. Since you like a cream note, there's your mouth feel. For fruits if you want a bit of mouth feel or sugar lips a super sweet or marshmallow in very small percentages can provide that.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
ok ok...

so here's what i'm thinking...
I am a plain eater.. like i don't do mixed foods often. I cook with basic ingredients.. so maybe i will actually like simpler ejuice recipes better.

alot of these ejuices have too much going on and it doesn't help my palate at all..

but i'm also the kinda woman who will tear up some white rice and butter.. like when i eat beef and broccoli, it better not touch my rice! I'm not big on those one pot meals right.. same with pies and cakes.. and such.. i don't want too much going on..

but maybe add some sort of cream to the canteloupe to get the mouth feel.

I'll have to google ecx. sounds familiar. i'll check them out

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Take a look at Bull City Flavors and Nicotine River as well. ECX shipping is pricey.
If you go to Nicotine River look at their brands. Heard strawberry and biscuit is delicious. Its one flavor already mixed so you treat it as one flavor for mixing.
Also, if you like butter mints, the Purilum Butter Mints is good straight away as a stand alone flavor. I mix it @ 6 % and if I want a stronger taste I can go to 8%. Good stuff. Its really strong as soon as you mix it but settles down a little the next day and just keeps getting better and better, not necessarily stronger but more buttery and smooth.
:)

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You've gotten some good advice re: flavors. If you want more "mouthfeel" I would suggest MFS Wizard, it's an additive that adds body/depth to flavors and the faintest "smoky" but woodsmoke kinda, not really "smoke" it's not tobacco-ish. I'm not describing it very well, but you use a drop or two in flavorings and it really does what it says... Adds depth, body, the feeling of a "richer" vape with an aftertaste so it doesn't really change a flavor it just adds depth and richness. I've been really pleased when using it and I use primarily desert and fruit flavors.

I've ordered a few standalone flavors from nic river (and some other places) and while I will usually add to them, it's often less than a non-standalone flavor. Nic river has some nice ones, as do some other vendors.

Best of luck.

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Take a look at Bull City Flavors and Nicotine River as well. ECX shipping is pricey.

What Letitia said, LadieKali. While you are there read the reviews under the flavors you are interested in. People will reveal perentages and what they add, if anything, to make that flavor pop.

Commonly added flavorings are creams and sweeteners (Ethyl Maltol is common). and in the case of tobaccos people commonly add Ethyl Maltol and Acetyl Pyrazine to boost the taste, mouth feel, and throat hit of a cigarette flavor.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
ok ok...

I am a plain eater.. like i don't do mixed foods often. I cook with basic ingredients.. so maybe i will actually like simpler ejuice recipes better.

alot of these ejuices have too much going on and it doesn't help my palate at all..

but i'm also the kinda woman who will tear up some white rice and butter.. like when i eat beef and broccoli, it better not touch my rice! I'm not big on those one pot meals right.. same with pies and cakes.. and such.. i don't want too much going on..

Here you go :)

One Shot Concentrates - Flavor Concentrates - <p class="shopbydepartment"><span style="font-size: 14px;">Shop by</span><span style="font-size: 16px; font-weight: bold;">Department</span></p>

Yes, adding some cream may develop some feel. The Vape Wizard mentioned may also help, but cantaloupe is likely sweet enough to not benefit from adding a sweetener.

Maybe try some of the one-shot blends, but also try some single flavors. Small batch. See how it works for you, then maybe another small batch of the same plus a second flavor for comparison.

And do keep in mind that the same flavor name from different makers probably won't taste the same!

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
I've been DIY'ing for about 8 months, and I've kept all my recipes simple. The only places I've ordered flavoring from are NudeNic and Vapewild, and they both have good flavorings. I've never used more than two flavorings in a recipe, and I commonly use only one. The choice is up to you, it's all about your tastes. Make small batches to start (like others here, I make 10 ml starter batches), then go from there.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Another place to try all-in-one flavorings (already mixed and ready-to-use), that you just add singly to your own PG, VG, and nic base...is One Stop DIY Shop. They have what's called "One Stop Flavors" and "One Stop Blends". They are their own proprietary flavorings, and many of us on the ECF and DIYers I know locally, love them.

Some that I personally really like, when used singly are: Baked Cinnamon Roll, Lucky Shot, Pink Lemonade, Licorice Torpedoes, Succulent Strawberry, Blue Raspberry Slush, and Blueberry.

My ADV for more than a year now is a combination though...of their Lucky Shot @7% + their Lotta Latte @ 6%. It makes what I call "Caramel Latte". @ChelsB calls hers "Lucky Latte", as does @OlderNDirt.

They have an on-going coupon code, too, that saves you money on your whole order. They carry not only their OSF and OSB, but also a bunch of flavorings from TFA, CAP, FA, bottles, etc., too. Use either ECF or JFK to receive 11% off usually. When they have sales, it's sometimes as much as 17% off though.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I use Nic River's nic salts and I like them a great deal. Haven't used their regular nicotine but the nic salts arrive in great shape, very pale yellow (normal for nic salts) and have frozen and kept well. Some places will send you a free sample if you want to do some comparison shopping... :)

Anna

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Part of this is just that the people who tend to publish the most recipes, and tend to write most about mixing, are hobbyists and tinkerers. They might mix a fair bit of simple stuff day-to-day (or not) but they write about the really complex stuff they spent 3 months balancing, because that's what they're invested in.

There's also the fact that a lot of (even very good) concentrates are not quite enough by themselves, and could use a bit of reinforcement. There are some simple flavors (as opposed to one-shots or other flavors with several notes) that are pretty tasty as standalones, but they can generally be improved a bit by being paired with other flavors.

That said, I'm sometimes pretty happy to just vape 2-4% FA Fuji. Some of the Medicine Flower flavors are also incredible standalone (looking at you, Honeydew,) but they are a bit tricky to work with, so I wouldn't recommend them to someone just starting out.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
ok ok...

Honestly I'm kinda like you salt and pepper. Coffee black and whiskey straight but when it comes to eliquid I like complicated things, lol. I'm no good at diy, I gave up, found I saved money just buying bulk and searching for coupon codes. Many places sell flavor shots like mentioned, mt. baker I know has some flavors like that and you just add you nic base. I've thought about trying it that way to play around with flavoring strength and moving up.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
i think my problem is i really do not like certain flavors.
i have vaped a cantaloupe before and loved it, and i've had a lychee and cranberry that was good. any other fruit and i don't really like it.
I also don't like milk flavor.

So i am hoping to find non fruit flavors to work with. Like a danish with out fruit.. granola, oatmeal, peanut butter, coffee's, could possible do a pancake with light syrup.

my all day vapes right now are a peanut butter pie and cinnamon danish. but i pay a pretty penny for those!

when i've looked up recipes they all have fruit!
and i'm sitting here wanting to vape a good pie crust bwhahaha... with out the apple.

or maybe a coffee cake.

just got a new juice that's oatmeal with cinnamon and milk. if it didn't have the milk i think i'd love it.

but i guess, at least i've learned what i definitely don't like.
maybe i can start with that.

maybe i could do pie crust with a whipped cream?
oatmeal with brown sugar and caramel?

i think i'm gonna struggle with trying to get a depth to my juice. since i'm so plain jane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread