Questions for Steve about my Prodigy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
I have a few questions regarding my new Prodigy...

#1 - When my batteries are charged they each read 3.45v individually. When I put them into my prodigy and read off the adapter without an atomizer they are reading at 6.85v. I realize I am taking measurements without a load but 1.85v for the load of a 901 atomizer does not sound right to me. What happened to 5v?

#2 - All my equipment that uses 901 atomizers has the center post recessed just a bit from the threaded part. My prodigy has the center post flush with the threaded part. I have already had two 4075 atomizers destroyed in less that 24 hours by the center part getting pushed in from this. Should I be taking a hammer and screwdriver to my adapter? If so will this cause my Prodigy adapter to become unable to thread all the way down on the Prodigy body? It seems like it would.

#3 - One out of the four included batteries, one is completely screwed up. I just pulled a set of batteries because the Prodigy stopped producing vapor and one battery is at 3.25v and the other one is at 1.52v. This happened after only 2 hours of use after a green light charge on the charger. That is the second time it has happened with this set of batteries.

The other set lasts around 8 hours and both batteries are depleting at an equal rate so I am relatively certain I have a bad battery. Do I really need to ship you the single battery to get a replacement?

#4 - (somewhat rhetorical) what were you thinking when you made the threads on the battery cap so small? It is just a cross threading disaster waiting to happen.

TIA
DW

BTW
If you are wondering how I have gotten so much battery use in such a short time it is because I have been using my Prodigy continuously for the last twenty some odd hours since it was delivered yesterday morning and I have not yet slept. Yes, I am every bit as sick as people make me out to be.

Casey@PS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
Nashvegas
www.OurSongForever.com
Hey Dumwaldo,

Send me a ticket info@puresmoker.com regarding the battery, and we'll get a new one out to you. As for the adapter, it sounds like if the center post is not completely flush, then yes, follow the troubleshooting guide pictures to get it fixed up. Should work like a charm.

I'm just getting some of your basic questions taken care of since Steve will be out pretty much all day today. He should be getting back to you later on tonight!

Antebellum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2009
Madison, GA
#4 - (somewhat rhetorical) what were you thinking when you made the threads on the battery cap so small? It is just a cross threading disaster waiting to happen.

Hi, DW,

I thought that, too, at first. However, if you unscrew the adapter end about one full turn, it makes screwing on the base a LOT easier. Also, the spring really does soften up some in a few days, and it's easy enough to screw the base on without loosening the top.

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
Hi, DW,

I thought that, too, at first. However, if you unscrew the adapter end about one full turn, it makes screwing on the base a LOT easier. Also, the spring really does soften up some in a few days, and it's easy enough to screw the base on without loosening the top.

I think my Prodigy is version 1.01 because I can remove my adapter with the batteries installed and the internal button assembly and center contact point stay in place. So unscrewing the adapter a few turns does nothing to alleviate the pressure when screwing on the battery cover.

I do realize that the spring softens in time and the pressure will decrease as a result. I am not saying that it is to difficult to put the cap on because the pressure. I am just pointing out that for a battery cover that will be frequently removed and replaced I think the threads are a bit fine and a coarser thread would have worked better.

I can easily see people cross threading their Prodigies battery covers as a result of the fine thread. If it does happen it will not prevent the Prodigy from working, it will just cause a crooked battery cover. A coarser thread is more difficult to cross thread.

DW

Casey@PS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
Nashvegas
www.OurSongForever.com
Thank you Casey. I just sent that email.

Your efforts make it a pleasure to deal with Pure Smoker. I hope Steve realizes how fortunate he is to have you as an employee.

DW

Hey DW,

Thanks so much :) I haven't seen your ticket yet, but I'm keeping an eye out for it. Info@puresmoker.com, right?

As for the end cap threading, here's a quick tip (because I had issues with that in the beginning as well) instead of screwing it on with your finger tips, I use my palm to press down flat, then turn. It's MUCH easier to screw on this way, and definitely eliminates the cross threading problem. :thumb:

Corki2

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2009
USA, TampaBay, FL
I think my Prodigy is version 1.01 because I can remove my adapter with the batteries installed and the internal button assembly and center contact point stay in place. So unscrewing the adapter a few turns does nothing to alleviate the pressure when screwing on the battery cover.

I do realize that the spring softens in time and the pressure will decrease as a result. I am not saying that it is to difficult to put the cap on because the pressure. I am just pointing out that for a battery cover that will be frequently removed and replaced I think the threads are a bit fine and a coarser thread would have worked better.

I can easily see people cross threading their Prodigies battery covers as a result of the fine thread. If it does happen it will not prevent the Prodigy from working, it will just cause a crooked battery cover. A coarser thread is more difficult to cross thread.

DW

Thanks for the heads up for those of us awaiting delivery. I appreciate knowing in advance how to keep from goofing it up when I get it. :)

fiddler

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
New York City
#3 - One out of the four included batteries, one is completely screwed up. I just pulled a set of batteries because the Prodigy stopped producing vapor and one battery is at 3.25v and the other one is at 1.52v. This happened after only 2 hours of use after a green light charge on the charger. That is the second time it has happened with this set of batteries.

The other set lasts around 8 hours and both batteries are depleting at an equal rate so I am relatively certain I have a bad battery. Do I really need to ship you the single battery to get a replacement?

This happened to me also. I found that the spring connector on the charger was weak on one side, so that only one of the batteries was actually getting charged. I tested this by charging the battery in question on the "good" side of the charger and it charged properly. Sometimes both would charge but it was hit or miss.

The fix was just to bend up the weak spring on the charger to make better contact. I've done 6-7 charges since then and not had a problem.

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
Casey took care of #3 and #4 but I still did not get an answer to #1 and #2 I am still a little confused about.

#1 is self explanatory.

#2 I looked in the troubleshooting thread and according to that my adapter is correct but I don't understand why everything else that I have that uses a 901 atomizer has the center post slightly recessed from the threaded outer ring but the Prodigy has it flush.

I mean the center post literally pushed in the center post on one of my atomizers so much the insulating ring came right out of the atomizer.

here is a picture...
07082009313.jpg

DW

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hey DW ...

That is just simply how we made the adapters ... Flush = Worked for us, essentially stopping any which way for a user to actually bottom out the Prodigy without lengthing the center post and using that same post universally. When screwing on 901 atomizers and even 801s, there is no mechanism within the adapter to make you stop until you bottom out. We left this open because of the wide range of atomizers ... Ecig battery threads end, and you don't have to worry about bottoming out and puddling up ... we do.

So, the moral of the story ... Twist the atomizer on until you start to feel it snugg up. A good 1/4 turn more, and you are good to go, and it won't push your post in. Same holds true for the 801.

JAFO2RHh

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
Cedar Rapids, IA
This happened to me also. I found that the spring connector on the charger was weak on one side, so that only one of the batteries was actually getting charged. I tested this by charging the battery in question on the "good" side of the charger and it charged properly. Sometimes both would charge but it was hit or miss.

The fix was just to bend up the weak spring on the charger to make better contact. I've done 6-7 charges since then and not had a problem.

Yea, I have that same problem with both of my chargers. Also take a look at the negative end of the batteries, I have one battery that has a nice big dimple in it from the positive and of another battery. That will make it difficult to get good contact on the charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread