Questions on Prodigy, USBpass, other mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightShadow

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Tacoma, Washington
Hi All,

First my appologies if this is too verbose or rambling, I tend to try to make things clearer online than I do in real life to avoid misunderstandings. They still can happen, all I can do is try though :oops:

First some background relating to my questions:

I smoked for the last 25 or so years. Before E-cigs I was at 1-2 packs per day. My wife's habbit was about the same.

We have only been using e-cigs for a week now, the 510 manual and Dawns French Vanilla 12-18mg liquid ( which is ever so much nicer than nasty analogs OMG! )

The first day using it I got a bit light headed and thought I might need a lower MG. On the second day it was a non issue, and now I think I might even go higher at 3.7v, possibly lower if if get a higher voltage device.

I had 1 analog the first day and none since! :)

I also tried a few other flavors from different sources, so far the French Vanilla is my favorite. I am also awaiting one of Dawn's DIY kits with more flavors, and some of the capellas vanilla custard for me (Thank you SUN VAPORER!) and cool mint for my Wife.

We will be getting in some E-dobits once Nuttso can catch up to the demand. For me dripping is fine, refilling carts is fine, and I bet dobbing will be even better. My wife will probably not drip, just use carts and E-dobit.

My wife is thus far satisfied with the 510, but also smoking through the last of our analog supply. She looks at me oddly when I talk about a usb pass or mod NOW, but I have the feeling once she stops the analogs this weekend (when they are gone) and starts having to swap her batteries out like I do then the story will change and possibly a protoge or other device will be discussed soon by her :lol:

I tend to vape MUCH more while on the computer than any other activity, and oh yes...I use the compouter a LOT :shock:

While the 510 is obviously getting the "job" done I feel I would like it even more if my device had the following:

1. Ability to use it a LOT, withought replacing the battery all the time. (I do feel the 510 is "ok" for out and about, watching tv etc as is but something more for home use especially while on the computer is highly desirable for me)

2. More Vapor, while still having nice flavor and NO burnt taste. (from what I have read 5v sounds like it is the sweet spot for this, but I don't know firsthand.)

3. Less or no battery switching. (Pretty sure if I get a higher voltage device of any kind it will spoil me and I would need a mod also if the Puresmoker USB Pass (at 5v?) is what I am hoping for) For a mod, I think at most 2 batteries a day would be my target goal.

Also If anyone has a picture of the NEW style USB-Pass it would be appreciated. A review of the new one would be even MORE appreciated however :)

From what I have read I am thinking the new USB-Pass looks about the same as the old style, they just had to change the metal used, and shortened the cord, correct?

(I did look at the cheaper generic usb passthroughs but they do not seem like they would be satisfying at all, flimsy, only 3.xV etc)

As I am also considering a battery mod, the Prodigy seems promising with the resistor switch for 5V, if any have tried this using both switches to get all 3 voltages 3.7, 5 and 6+ please let me know your opinions!

Aside from the Puresmoker products I am considering, I am also open to other suggestions. (the GGTS with AFS comes to mind, but I have not figured out when / or if they will be available and while we have looked at others, we are not fans of mods with buttons on the ends as it is just not natural for us)

I appologize in advance if mentioning / discussing other products in this forum bother's anyone, but as MOST of my questions are about the specific products offered by Puresmoker I felt it was the correct place to post.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this, any comments, suggestions, recommendations etc are appreciated!

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
I went through a lot of what you did, but I didn't like the 510. You can read my experiences/thoughts here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...8093-choosing-e-cig-my-process-hindsight.html

It sounds to me like a Prodigy would be good for you. Keep the atomizer wet and you won't get the burnt taste. Although i didn't like my original 510, I love it on the Prodigy. I got the Prodigy for it's ability to do all 3 voltages, but they haven't had the switches in stock since I bought mine, so I'm "stuck" at 5v - which is very sweet.

I have those cheap 510 USB passthroughs, and found that I didn't like getting chained to some power device. I'd rather buy batteries - they're cheap enough, though not free like a USB passthrough.

If you get a passthrough, try to find one of those AC or DC USB adapters that put out 1 amp or even 1.5 amps. This one puts out 1 amp: Coby CA81 Dual USB Power Adapter/Charger and for the car: Coby CA781 USB Car Charger

Last edited:

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
The usb pass will look much like the protege i have a feeling, with a cord attached obviously. You can look at the protege on the website now.

Get a USBpass for sure. and might even consider a battery pack as the output is unregulated, it may not be friendly to your computer usbport.

Get a prodigy, or protege or both, prodigy is bigger, but is awesome for vapor production. Protege is also good vapor, but from my short experience with it, doesn't match the throat hit of the prodigy, obviously as it is lower voltage.

I haven't used the 510, but 801 works great for me, but is a lot bigger, i am going to a 901 just cause is smaller, and still has the mouth peice that i am fond of having.

Hope this helped man. I have been off of analogs myself for about 10 months thanks to PS.

Gibby

Kimmberlee

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2008
MI
Hi Nightshadow,

I started with the "pretty" ecigs first and wish back then all these nice mods were available. After getting a passthru and Prodigy the others seem to just be a total waste of money and frustration. :mad:

I LOVE my Prodigy at 5 volts. I LOVE my PT when I am at my computer and should have my Protege early next week. :lol:

I smoked a pack a day for 25+ years and have been 9 mos smokefree! I started my venture with PureSmoker and have never been let down. Steve runs a great business with great products and of course Casey is great too!

I LOVE Puresmoker's Riskee Yuice. There is no other like it.

I like having all 3 devices for different type of vape at different times.

Good Luck!! :rolleyes:

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
Definitely get the USB pass thru when they come out... There are no pix yet as they are still in the design phase as far as I know.

I have the USB Pass, Prodigy, Protege, Silver Bullet, and soon will have the GG Telescopic.

Here are my opinions... and these are my honest opinions.....

The Prodigy is by far the best bang for the buck. Because you have the option to run it at the sweet spot 5v. and I have the switch without resistor and absolutely LOVE the 18650 3.7v 2500 mAh battery. It chucks out the vapor ALL day. I swap batteries only once a day now. And I could probably go longer but I like to keep em topped off. The Prodigy can also be used at 6v. People say that the juice tastes burnt but you just have to take shorter drags. There is a difference in flavor don't get me wrong but if you try to take a 5 second pull at 6v then yes you will burn the juice in the atomizer. 2 to 3 seconds is all you need at 6v. Atomizers can handle 6v easily IF you keep em wet. Running it dry will surely kill them.

While I love 5v vaping I find that I drip almost every 4 or 5 puffs. At 3.7 I still get good vapor and flavor with the 510 but get almost 10 puffs between drips. Same goes for the Protege...

Then there is the Protege.... I really like this little device. I just got it and think it might be my new out and about and work device. I have yet to see just how long I can go on one battery but they should last me at least 8 hours. I will probably carry an extra with me just in case.

I use the USB pass thru mostly as a back up or alternative. You will find that you like a few different flavors. For example I use the USB pass first thing in the morning for my coffee juices. I know it will always give me the same hit every time. While it is considered a high voltage device it is kinda the middle of the road running around 4.5 under load. Slightly more than standard but less than the Prodigy.

Pure Smoker products are by far the best quality made in the US. And backed by excellent customer service. Excellent is the key word.

So you have made the right choice to look into the Pure Smoker line. I wish I had before buying almost every other model first. I could have saved a lot of cash just by getting the Prodigy first. And the 510 atomizer is IMHO the BEST. They can handle a lot and really chuck out the vapor. I have been using a set of atomizers I got with my first kit for over three months now. Still going strong.

bearscreek

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
TN
If I were you, I would first decide if I wanted to go higher in voltage. One good indication might be just how much you like the standard 510 batteries when they just come off the charger (or if a partial charge seems okay to you, on the other hand). After I decided on what voltage I wanted, I'd simply either get the Prodigy or the Protege based on that. Given the long battery life of either of those compared to the 510, I don't really know why you would want a passthrough, unless you really just want one of everything just "because." If, by chance, you were to decide on the Prodigy and find it to be too high voltage, you could then maybe try to get the other switch and use it at 3.7. Realize, though, that I'm only into the Prodigy for about 1-1/2 weeks myself and I don't have a PS passthrough, but I have put several miles on another type of passthrough - enough to know that the Prodigy or Protege without a cord is actually way more convenient, whether you're sitting at your computer all day or not. I'm vaping very heavily on only 2 sets of Prodigy batteries a day, and the battery life on the Protege is even better than that. Make sense?

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
Also, Steve seemed intrigued by an idea (wish I could remember who's and give credit) to make the Protege double as a passthrough simply by screwing on a usb cable instead of putting in a battery and the end cap.

Actually should be relatively simple to do, and would be a lot cheaper than buying a passthrough if you already have a Protege.

Also, Steve seemed intrigued by an idea (wish I could remember who's and give credit) to make the Protege double as a passthrough simply by screwing on a usb cable instead of putting in a battery and the end cap.

Actually should be relatively simple to do, and would be a lot cheaper than buying a passthrough if you already have a Protege.

Are you guys saying this is already on the website? I haven't seen anything like that.. can you guys link to what you're talking about? Thanks.

Gibby

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Fairfax, VA
This was what was stated.

Flitz .... Excellent idea bud .... This leads me to a way of making a PT without needing a whole seperate device. I stumbled on, I believe Apostle's post, regarding a delrin USB insert for Protege users. I have gone to the engineers to see if we can make this a reality .... Thus being able to transform your Protege it to a 5 volt usb ... Hoping it 1/2 the price of a complete new device ....

I really hope this comes to be, that would be awesome!!

Gibby

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
I think this is what they are referring to:

PureSmoker.com - Home of the USA Built PV !!!

It is just the adapter for using different atomizers on the Protege/USB which are the same size. I think they were just confused by the Protege/USB, or perhaps I am confused?

Yeah you're right, that's just the atty adapter for either the Protege or the Passthrough. Not the adapter (converter?) for making a Protege into a Passthrough.

Johnny 5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Oakville, WA
This was what was stated.

Flitz .... Excellent idea bud .... This leads me to a way of making a PT without needing a whole seperate device. I stumbled on, I believe Apostle's post, regarding a delrin USB insert for Protege users. I have gone to the engineers to see if we can make this a reality .... Thus being able to transform your Protege it to a 5 volt usb ... Hoping it 1/2 the price of a complete new device ....

I really hope this comes to be, that would be awesome!!

Gibby

Yes, Steve did state that he is trying to create a device that would turn your Protege into a pass thru, I just wanted to let people that were reading this thread know that the link posted above is not that device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread